2024-2025 San Juan Bautista

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
interviewed on 5/14 and wasn’t told an estimate on when I should expect to hear back, I’m assuming it will be at least 2-3 weeks but I was wondering how long it took people to hear back after their interview for a decision?
 
I interviewed on 05/16 and I’m wondering how long it took for those of you who interviewed to receive a decision post interview?? They didn’t mention a time frame.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
interviewed on 5/14 and wasn’t told an estimate on when I should expect to hear back, I’m assuming it will be at least 2-3 weeks but I was wondering how long it took people to hear back after their interview for a decision?
I’m still waiting for a decision and this is my top choice 🙁 fortunately I have an acceptance to Guadalajara which starts on July 14th but I if I get accepted to SJBSM I would withdraw my acceptance from UAG. but I’m worried that I won’t hear anything before classes start at UAG. Has anyone else heard any updates??
 
I’m still waiting for a decision and this is my top choice 🙁 fortunately I have an acceptance to Guadalajara which starts on July 14th but I if I get accepted to SJBSM I would withdraw my acceptance from UAG. but I’m worried that I won’t hear anything before classes start at UAG. Has anyone else heard any updates??
A off waitlist yesterday! They’re emailing people, they sent the telegram chat link after and three people joined after me so it’s moving
 
Hi
For those who have previously interviewed at this school, I have an interview coming up soon and wanted to ask about the dress code. Should I wear a full suit, or would a dress shirt with slacks and a tie be appropriate?
Thank you
 
Hi
For those who have previously interviewed at this school, I have an interview coming up soon and wanted to ask about the dress code. Should I wear a full suit, or would a dress shirt with slacks and a tie be appropriate?
Thank you
I went to the interview, it was fine. Some people wore suits and others didn’t. Just make sure you wear professional attire and you’ll be fine. In my case, I wore a suit, better safe than sorry.
 
Hi everyone! Good luck to all those waiting for updates. OOS A here, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on places to live nearby the school? Feel free to DM me or reply to this. Thanks
 
Hi everyone! Good luck to all those waiting for updates. OOS A here, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on places to live nearby the school? Feel free to DM me or reply to this. Thanks
+1 A OOS interested in housing info 🙂 Thank you
 
1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG


San Juan Bautista School of Medicine- A Warning

STUDENT TESTIMONY 1:


I’m posting this because I know there are others going through some version of what I’ve been through, and right now we’re all isolated; which I think is exactly the point. They don’t want us to talk to each other.


I won’t name names or get into my own case specifics here. But I want to lay out the patterns I’ve seen and heard about repeatedly, because if it’s happening to enough of us, it stops being “individual circumstances” and starts being something else:


Rules changing after the fact. Requirements and standards applied retroactively, so you find out the goalposts moved only after you’ve already missed them.


A new, retroactive USMLE bar. A bootcamp led by people without USMLE experience, trying to fail you even if you pass the USMLE??? They’re now requiring a score of 76 or higher on 2 NBME and the CBSE self-assessments before they’ll authorize a student to take Step 1 (a threshold being dropped on people who are already deep into the program). And even if they accidentally authorize you to take your exam and you do, they can dismiss you for not following instructions even if you pass. All so you don't ruin their metrics.


Dismissals that don’t feel like they followed real due process… decisions coming down without the notice, hearing, or appeal you’d expect from a fair process.


A climate of fear. People are afraid to ask questions, afraid to push back, afraid to even compare notes with each other. Also, they are counting on you voluntarily dropping out because once you do you cannot fight them and this injustice.


That last one is the part I keep coming back to. They don’t want us talking to each other, and I believe that’s deliberate. The moment we compare notes and get organized, we stop being isolated individuals who can be worn down one at a time and we become a force they actually have to answer to. I think they’re counting on our frustration and our humiliation to keep us quiet and keep us apart.


And let’s talk about the optics. While all of this is happening, there’s a steady stream of awards and public celebration coming out of the administration (our President’s accolades keep getting announced and amplified). I’ll let you draw your own conclusions about the timing. But from where we’re standing, it feels like a smoke screen: keep the spotlight on the trophies and the good news so nobody looks too closely at what students are actually living through. You can celebrate as loudly as you want but it doesn’t change what’s happening to the people in your own classrooms. Which, may we add, is affecting students at all levels. It is not just MS2s studying for their Step but also MS1s with poorly made exams and school without personnel (or willingness) to fix this mess.


Here’s the context that matters: the school is currently fully accredited but on probation with the LCME. That’s not a rumor, it’s posted on SJB’s own website and we were all summoned to meet our dean this past December 4 regarding WHY. Incredible that the bureaucratic mess they have created is overshadowing actually supporting the students who are here and have to put up with all this incompetence.


They’re counting on us staying silent and separate. Let’s not give them that.


You’re not crazy, and you’re not alone.




STUDENT TESTIMONY 2:


I’m also a current student at San Juan Bautista and completely agree with my classmate.


In addition:
  • The School gave students Neuro without even having a Neuro professor, despite having an entire year to find one and having a hospital next door that specializes in Neuro. Incredible but true.
  • The same occurs with Immunology. The previous (and widely beloved by faculty and students) immunology professor was fired without any valid reason in December after 28 years of teaching at the School. Many months later, no immunology professor has been found.
  • An underlying reason is that the dysfunctional work environment at the School is common knowledge in the medical community, so no one wants to teach there.
  • The Associate Dean of Pre-Clinical Sciences, Wilson Veras, is a tyrannical figure who fires professors without cause and berates faculty and students, creating a climate of fear at the School. He is the person who’s really in charge of first and second year and is running the medical program to the ground.
  • Many students would be surprised if San Juan Bautista gets reaccredited by the respective authorities if things continue in this manner (it is currently ON PROBATION by the LCME).
  • There is a severe lack of transparency at every level; there is simply no accountability or due process and while supposedly there are committees for everything, no one knows who the members of those committees are and faculty are afraid to say when asked.
  • Nothing has been done so far because the upper administration is absent from everyday decisions at the School, leaving Wilson Veras to rule the School alone with his delusions of grandeur.
  • Many will ask why we choose to go public with all of this. It is because many people have tried to warn the respective accreditation authorities, but they only allow complaints if you fully disclose your identity. People have already been fired and dismissed at San Juan Bautista for expressing their opinion, so this puts faculty and students at real risk of retaliation.
  • To prospective students: the School is a mess, go somewhere else.


STUDENT TESTIMONY 3:

The school feels like a dictatorship. No one knows what is going on
. Multiple students, including me, got dismissed with zero prior warnings. Just an email : "btw you are no longer a student since today". Professors are afraid to stand by the students and get in trouble.

They have no idea how they are changing people's lives, literally ending their dreams with a single email with zero explanations. You can tell they haven’t given a single thought of how that affects students.

They also haven't given students the opportunity to meet and explain their circumstances.

I hope it works out, not for my only sake but for all the students that invested their time and money to be at this school.

As of now we are waiting, sitting in limbo while they refuse to answer our questions.


STUDENT TESTIMONY 4:

This school dismissed me for my accommodation request taking too long. I took and passed the Step 1 on my first attempt once I received the approved NBME accommodation.

They still kicked me out. It’s been 4 months of appeals and still counting.

I have been a US ARMY Soldier for 7 years and I’m a Veteran with a service related disability.

No one in school is helping us.


STUDENT TESTIMONY 5:

They don't take your CBSSAs seriously unless you score 76 or more on the second CBSE that they're imposing out of the blue (since it wasn't on the contract that they made the students sign).

The contract stated that student must take a CBSE in April that serves as a diagnostic tool, must submit evidence of progress and "readiness" through CBSSAs, and achieve a minimum of 76 in said practice tests.

In my case, I was dismissed even though I showed consistency and progress with CBSSA scores of 79, 80 and 80, and passed Step 1 on first attempt.

So far they have dismissed more than 6 students that have passed their Step 1 on their first attempts.


Link to Reddit discussion: https://www.reddit.com/r/medicalschool/comments/1v3xl2n/san_juan_bautista_school_of_medicine_a_warning/
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad