2nd chance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

daisypnaymph

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever thought to retake the MCATs and reapply to U.S. schools while they are currently attending a Caribbean medical school?

I was just wondering if anyone was successful in obtaining a 2nd chance for attending to a U.S. school while they were like in their 1st or 2nd semester @ a Caribbean med school? I know they would have to start from scratch, but HEY! You finally got into a U.S. school....

just curious.....

Members don't see this ad.

Give it a shot, maybe you can pull it off. I believe you can. Best wishes.:)

Members don't see this ad :)
I think that it's a long shot but that it may be possible... in no way do I think that this would be a wise decision. For one thing it would cost way too much- paying tuition to a Caribbean school all the while hoping that a US school will accept you so you can start from scratch; that's throwing a lot of money away. Perhaps you should consider reapplying to the States one last time while simultaneously applying to the Caribbean. At least if you weren't accepted in the US you could have some peace of mind that you at least tried one last time.

The other thing to consider is reapplying while you're already in medical school. It's going to be really, really difficult to maintain decent grades all the while traveling back to the US to interview.

I guess the way I kind of feel about med school is that if you don't want a degree from the school you're going to, don't go there. If you don't think that you're going to be happy where you're accepted, then don't go there. Transfers to US schools are pretty rare, and it would be wise not to count on it. Remember that if you go to a respectable Caribbean school and do well there, you will turn out to be a competent physician. Good luck with your decision.

Has anyone ever thought to retake the MCATs and reapply to U.S. schools while they are currently attending a Caribbean medical school?

I was just wondering if anyone was successful in obtaining a 2nd chance for attending to a U.S. school while they were like in their 1st or 2nd semester @ a Caribbean med school? I know they would have to start from scratch, but HEY! You finally got into a U.S. school....

just curious.....

just curious.....

My buddy did this in our first semester at SGU. Interviewing wasn't really a problem since that was his only interview at a state side school and he nailed it. Look at it this way, you won't have a ton of stateside interviews if your having to come down to SGU. He had to repeat from the start but its well worth it come residency time. At first he was thinking IM but now he's considering ortho...

Its def. worth it to apply if you think you have a chance especially if you are currently at an offshore school. Any chance to get out to an LCME state side school should be a priority. And if you don't get in anywhere, than you can still continue at your current school.

Its those people who are just sitting around waiting and waiting to get into a school that are wasting valuable time. Med school is long and so is residency.

I forgot to include that I dont think my friend retook the mcat. He just applied with his 27 and got into a US school during the end of our first semester at SGU. He did lose the tuition he paid for that one semester. I believe the US school looked quite favorably in his decision to attend SGU. He was doing well with first year med classes and even went into anatomy lab at his interview and started tutoring some of the other med students there.

:)

I forgot to include that I dont think my friend retook the mcat. He just applied with his 27 and got into a US school during the end of our first semester at SGU. He did lose the tuition he paid for that one semester. I believe the US school looked quite favorably in his decision to attend SGU. He was doing well with first year med classes and even went into anatomy lab at his interview and started tutoring some of the other med students there.

that is not true? must you embellish your story?

just curious.....

Yes this happens but I think it sets people up to fail, you should go to the Caribbean just as any other school thinking you will finish and do well, besides the US schools are not all that anyway, they do not hold the only way to be a good and successful Doc and more and more Caribbean grads are proving that, contrary to belief there are many such Caribbean grads today who are program directors for residencies that are choosing Caribbean grads for residencies. I think that the myth that most program directors do not choose caribbean grads is just that a myth. Want proof look at SGU's match list for year after year, even my schools list is getting good. :smuggrin:

that is not true? must you embellish your story?
HAHAHA how in the heck do you know? Oh I forgot all Prememds on SDN know everything MYTH and all................................

Yeah, I know a couple people that went to SGU, Ross, Saba, AUC that had top of the line stats and got off the wait-list at a US school in the middle of their first or second semester. I'm at Ross and there were a couple students who kept a 4.0 at Ross that transferred to a US school after their first year and went directly to second year, but they were exceptional, most transfer after taking boards. This is easier said than done. It is no easy task to get As at Ross.

Yeah, I know a couple people that went to SGU, Ross, Saba, AUC that had top of the line stats and got off the wait-list at a US school in the middle of their first or second semester. I'm at Ross and there were a couple students who kept a 4.0 at Ross that transferred to a US school after their first year and went directly to second year, but they were exceptional, most transfer after taking boards. This is easier said than done. It is no easy task to get As at Ross.

You know thats great, but really how much d you really gain? I can understand from a school like mine, but one of the Big 4? Really is it gonna make all that much difference to most in the end, I really think not. Especially primary care.:laugh:

The only time it is really worthwhile is if you are looking to go into a competitive residency. Basically you just have way more options open to you if you're a US grad. But overall, it all depends on how you score on boards. I mean, there is a Ross grad doing his neurosurgery residency at an Ivy League (I forget which one). You can probably find him on Google. Just goes to show you that it's the academic quality and personality/compassion/character of the STUDENT that matters in the end.

Last year from my school one match was Radiology and another was Anesthesia

So yeah compitetive is possible, very possible from Caribbean just not in large numbers...............................(US schools are not all that! )

Members don't see this ad :)

just curious.....

Just remember caribbean med school....is still medical school. I dont know how you will have time to study for MCAT and tests/quizes.

Good Luck though!

Remember, a caribbean med school is harder than many US med schools, the reason being that most are designed so that they fail out as many students as possible while getting their tuition money for a semester. Just wait until you take one of the exams down here and you'll see what I mean. But honestly, I would rather have my exams be harder and rock the boards enough to get a good residency so the US grads will know I'm more than just a quack doc.

You'll see that even so-called non-competative residencies will get very hard to get in. With new U.S MD/DO schools openning up, and the # of residency spots on decline I'm afraid it's just a matter of time.

Well even if you don't get the residency you want, you can at least get into Internal Med easily as a carib grad, do well on Step III, and then possibly subspecialize from there on out...

You'll see that even so-called non-competative residencies will get very hard to get in. With new U.S MD/DO schools openning up, and the # of residency spots on decline I'm afraid it's just a matter of time.

Well I disagree, I understand the new schools will not even be up and running until, at the earliest, 2009 to accept the first classes. Maybe one will start accepting for 2008 still thats 2012 for the first grads,

I had a chance meeting with the current Dean of the medical school that is being formed in Texas (the school hasn't gotten accreditation yet, so it's not recruiting students yet). He had some interesting things to say.

First, they're developing a pretty creative medical curriculum that promises a high clinical quality. We'll definitely be watching this school as it comes on line.

He, obviously, feels that the US needs more med school spots opening up. With 6000 residency spots being unfilled by domestic graduates every year, we're going to have to rely on FMG for a while.

His take was that a Carib MD, while sometimes limited in practice options, is usually a better option than DO school for people who want to practice allopathic medicine (if you find yourself aligned with the osteopathic philosophy, it's a totally different story). No one asks where you got your MD, and if you do well on your USMLE you'll get a residency spot no matter where you went to med school.

I plan to touch base with this Dean again as his med school comes on line.

This from a post about a new Dean of one of the Medical schools, the poster is a US grad MD.

So unless 6000+ grads will be coming out of these schools ( Yeah right) then I do not see the Caribbean grads need to worry at all?

So I really do not see a problem!:smuggrin:

Well I disagree, I understand the new schools will not even be up and running until, at the earliest, 2009 to accept the first classes. Maybe one will start accepting for 2008 still thats 2012 for the first grads,

This from a post about a new Dean of one of the Medical schools, the poster is a US grad MD.

So unless 6000+ grads will be coming out of these schools ( Yeah right) then I do not see the Caribbean grads need to worry at all?

So I really do not see a problem!:smuggrin:

Nobody will know for sure until the match of 2007 is over some time in March. Touro, NY is operational as of 2007. Not everyone who graduates from there will match in D.O residencies. Some will take away spots from true FMGs and Carib IMGs. My info is from ppl who just went through the multiple interview process, and are hoping to match this March. Most if not all say, had they known what they know now, they should have gone D.O instead of ROSS. And these are buddies (upperclassmen) ppl who were 2 semesters ahead of me when I started ROSS in 2004. This is not to revive this stupid, never ending debate of D.O vs IMG. But things are getting tight, including among the Caribbean grads. These schools are popping up like mashrooms just about on every rock in the Caribbean chain. So expect things to get tighter than they had been. Also, there is general tendency for the primary care positions to shrink. Year after year they go unfiled. So medicare will project for a lot less funding. So we'll see. But ask ppl who are there already, like on a specialty, or on a general residency forum.
I wouldn't discount it as a hearsay evidence just yet. :idea:

Nobody will know for sure until the match of 2007 is over some time in March. Touro, NY is operational as of 2007. Not everyone who graduates from there will match in D.O residencies. Some will take away spots from true FMGs and Carib IMGs. My info is from ppl who just went through the multiple interview process, and are hoping to match this March. Most if not all say, had they known what they know now, they should have gone D.O instead of ROSS. And these are buddies (upperclassmen) ppl who were 2 semesters ahead of me when I started ROSS in 2004. This is not to revive this stupid, never ending debate of D.O vs IMG. But things are getting tight, including among the Caribbean grads. These schools are popping up like mashrooms just about on every rock in the Caribbean chain. So expect things to get tighter than they had been. Also, there is general tendency for the primary care positions to shrink. Year after year they go unfiled. So medicare will project for a lot less funding. So we'll see. But ask ppl who are there already, like on a specialty, or on a general residency forum.
I wouldn't discount it as a hearsay evidence just yet. :idea:

I do not really think that a few friends trying to match in What? you haven't said and in what area? is good enough to go on. I'm matching in the south in a program that has 4 unfilled spots a year, every year. Thats been the trend since it is rural. Now if you try to match at a program that is always filled sure its tough, but if you pick programs who have a need then I think those are easier. Also whats the buddies stats? a 185 will not get you far but a 225 will on step one, just saying a couple buddies are having trouble really is not enough to go on lets keep perspective here. Thats all I ever want to read real facts that make sense, facts I can research, other then that it is opinion.:confused:

I do not really think that a few friends trying to match in What? you haven't said and in what area? is good enough to go on. I'm matching in the south in a program that has 4 unfilled spots a year, every year. Thats been the trend since it is rural. Now if you try to match at a program that is always filled sure its tough, but if you pick programs who have a need then I think those are easier. Also whats the buddies stats? a 185 will not get you far but a 225 will on step one, just saying a couple buddies are having trouble really is not enough to go on lets keep perspective here. Thats all I ever want to read real facts that make sense, facts I can research, other then that it is opinion.:confused:

O'K...I actually wrote about it VMD D.O forum. But here it is in a nutshell. The guy had 4.0 in basic science, 3.8 graduation GPA, kicka$$ letters from the rotations, and dean. Step1 98%, step 2 94%, CSA still pending. The guy was also PT before he went to ROSS. Sure, he wants ortho, general surgery or anesthesia. He had only one ortho invite, and he isn't holding his breath. Of course, with the stats like these he will match somewhere. But I'm not even talking about something competative like that. I want PM&R, neuro, psych or combined neuropsych. I hear it's getting tougher. But also I'm in NY where there are quite a few IMGs competing with one another. I'm sure rural FP won't be much of a trouble, but if medicare will cut those always-going-unfilled residency spots, even that...could become tight. I'm not trying to scare anyone, but it's important to know before venturing out. That's all.

O'K...I actually wrote about it VMD D.O forum. But here it is in a nutshell. The guy had 4.0 in basic science, 3.8 graduation GPA, kicka$$ letters from the rotations, and dean. Step1 98%, step 2 94%, CSA still pending. The guy was also PT before he went to ROSS. Sure, he wants ortho, general surgery or anesthesia. He had only one ortho invite, and he isn't holding his breath. Of course, with the stats like these he will match somewhere. But I'm not even talking about something competative like that. I want PM&R, neuro, psych or combined neuropsych. I hear it's getting tougher. But also I'm in NY where there are quite a few IMGs competing with one another. I'm sure rural FP won't be much of a trouble, but if medicare will cut those always-going-unfilled residency spots, even that...could become tight. I'm not trying to scare anyone, but it's important to know before venturing out. That's all.

Thank You:thumbup: It seems they were trying for competitive residencies and thats that, yes it is hard in those and it will be harder and if it was NY its darn hard to match in NY a lot of people do. Good Luck BTW I will match in FP not so hard as I understand it.

Yes it does say that stats may not be enough but still I think there are ways to get these matches, we will see as you said
If you stick to primary care then the problems are way less

Billy keep it up good research is cool and helps you and everyone when posted.

a good buddy of mine graduated college with me and went down to SGU right after, kicked ass there for a year, reapplied and got into a NY school.........downside is he had to start from scratch.........but honestly, in the big scheme of things, who cares about one lost year? he ended up at a statesside school

could this be the same guy? he even had a 27!

OP, it depends on a lot of factors, this guy was CLOSE the first time (interviews, waitlists etc) so he felt he had a decent show if he applied again with some differences (earlier application, some new grades etc)...........if you feel you have the same shot, then go for it
but my sincere advice would be this - try ur hardest BEFORE you go down there...........but if you do end up in Carib, focus down there instead of thinking about statesside

cheers,
Knight

Last year from my school one match was Radiology and another was Anesthesia

So yeah compitetive is possible, very possible from Caribbean just not in large numbers...............................(US schools are not all that! )

Remember folks, there are about 110-120 U.S. medical schools that are putting 15,000 students into residency. There are 4 Carribean schools that mix and fit in the cracks somewhere putting in maybe 300-400 people into residency in the U.S.(that's pretty good). Carribean IMG's do just fine (from the Big 4). When there is a shortage in the Carribean, they just ship more in from India. Just my 2 cents...

Remember folks, there are about 110-120 U.S. medical schools that are putting 15,000 students into residency. There are 4 Carribean schools that mix and fit in the cracks somewhere putting in maybe 300-400 people into residency in the U.S.(that's pretty good). Carribean IMG's do just fine (from the Big 4). When there is a shortage in the Carribean, they just ship more in from India. Just my 2 cents...

You my friend have your numbers messed up..

Let me tell you that Ross Univ alone has 550 graduates that match into US residencies each year. In 2002, it had a record of matching more medical students from 1 medical school, than any medical school in the world (including US medical schools).

For the people who want more numbers: Out of 8000 IMGs who applied last year.....4000 matched of which 2000 were caribbean graduates.

Go to NRMP for full pdf file with statistics....and dont go by posters on this forum.

Well...I think you are confusing so-called "Big 4" with California approval. There are many, many, many more in the carib, Europe. Also, true FMGs from domicile programs of their respective countries :eek: Are you kidding me? I think many U.S IMGs are under false impression that the pseudo-American schools with USMLE-oriented program are any less foreign than the "other" guy's who just got off the boat. The corporate offices of these schools are in U.S, that's where they take your moneys :smuggrin: . But the schools themselves are charted in some ****hole like Dominica, Grenada, Nevis etc. So when you graduate it does say the name of that country, not U.S. And you compete with all the FMGs Carib and non-Carib. The only advantage is if you don't have visa issues to stay in U.S. The PDs generally know that US IMGs didn't get in U.S (their own country) as opposed to true FMGs who are usually the best and the brightest in their own countries. So it all depends. I'm not saying IMG is bad...my fear however, that with increased capacity of U.S med schools (yes including D.O) there will be significantly less residency spots. Also medicare is looking to cut mostly primary care spots which go unfilled year after year. I'm not projecting doom and gloom. If you are already in school you probably are fine, but...if you just entering there is something to think about, and that's why I'm looking more at D.O now vs many great Carib schools to which i was accepted some time ago. If I had a crystal ball that said go IMG don't think about it too much, I would've gone. I don't want spend another year of life reviewing premed crap which btw has nothing to do with real medicine. But it's getting very lockstep and political out there.

Well...I think you are confusing so-called "Big 4" with California approval. There are many, many, many more in the carib, Europe. Also, true FMGs from domicile programs of their respective countries :eek: Are you kidding me? I think many U.S IMGs are under false impression that the pseudo-American schools with USMLE-oriented program are any less foreign than the "other" guy's who just got off the boat. The corporate offices of these schools are in U.S, that's where they take your moneys :smuggrin: . But the schools themselves are charted in some ****hole like Dominica, Grenada, Nevis etc. So when you graduate it does say the name of that country, not U.S. And you compete with all the FMGs Carib and non-Carib. The only advantage is if you don't have visa issues to stay in U.S. The PDs generally know that US IMGs didn't get in U.S (their own country) as opposed to true FMGs who are usually the best and the brightest in their own countries. So it all depends. I'm not saying IMG is bad...my fear however, that with increased capacity of U.S med schools (yes including D.O) there will be significantly less residency spots. Also medicare is looking to cut mostly primary care spots which go unfilled year after year. I'm not projecting doom and gloom. If you are already in school you probably are fine, but...if you just entering there is something to think about, and that's why I'm looking more at D.O now vs many great Carib schools to which i was accepted some time ago. If I had a crystal ball that said go IMG don't think about it too much, I would've gone. I don't want spend another year of life reviewing premed crap which btw has nothing to do with real medicine. But it's getting very lockstep and political out there.

JUST GET IN SOME WHERE BEFORE MEDICINE ALL DRIES UP,,,JUST GO FOR IT ALREADY,,ILL GRADUATE AND YOU BETTER STILL NOT BE HERE TALKING ABOUT ROSS IN 2004 CMON MAN,,,SLAM IT

JUST GET IN SOME WHERE BEFORE MEDICINE ALL DRIES UP,,,JUST GO FOR IT ALREADY,,ILL GRADUATE AND YOU BETTER STILL NOT BE HERE TALKING ABOUT ROSS IN 2004 CMON MAN,,,SLAM IT

O'K DRJJ! I got in already in many places, and even went to some. So if I answere some poster's questions about ROSS I always tell them that this info as 2004, b/c that's when I was there. But at least i'm speaking from MY OWN experience. How about you? It's not that difficult to get in the carib, especially for folks like you and me with the crapload of the previous clinical exp, and more importantly....an established credit. So yeah, you'll graduate, but make sure that your numbers are significantly better than your AMG conterparts. Otherwise four years from now you'll be talking about SMU in 2007 which will be padding your chiro resume :smuggrin: Trust me, friend, i was just as idealistic back than, but you have to look around and see what's happening. You can only have a substantiated arguement after the match results are out, and you've compared them to a few previous years. But go ahead, you know everything better than I do anyway :laugh:

O'K DRJJ! I got in already in many places, and even went to some. So if I answere some poster's questions about ROSS I always tell them that this info as 2004, b/c that's when I was there. But at least i'm speaking from MY OWN experience. How about you? It's not that difficult to get in the carib, especially for folks like you and me with the crapload of the previous clinical exp, and more importantly....an established credit. So yeah, you'll graduate, but make sure that your numbers are significantly better than your AMG conterparts. Otherwise four years from now you'll be talking about SMU in 2007 which will be padding your chiro resume :smuggrin: Trust me, friend, i was just as idealistic back than, but you have to look around and see what's happening. You can only have a substantiated arguement after the match results are out, and you've compared them to a few previous years. But go ahead, you know everything better than I do anyway :laugh:

but billy,,2004 info is old,,I know you re trying to help but cmon man,,lose the past and move on,,,and by the way,,I will make it all the way

but billy,,2004 info is old,,I know you re trying to help but cmon man,,lose the past and move on,,,and by the way,,I will make it all the way

I don't know where you get your info from, but 2004 is certainly not old. You seem to have some kind of a hang up about it. You do understand that I didn't just visit Dominca for a weekend :rolleyes: I did two semesters, my friend, May and September. How would you know if that info is old without being there then, and more importantly now. I keep in touch with lots of ppl from my original class. So far nothing major had really changed, the places I've stayed at are still there, most basic science, and the department chair ppl are still there. ROSS introduced MCAT in September of 2004, and my class of May 2004 was the last one to get in without MCAT. And that what actually prompted me to hurry, and leave for the island within less than one month of admission. That's why I highly recomend to anyone "not to rush" medical school, no matter how attractive it may seem at first. BTW if you think 2004...you really don't know jack about ROSS. When I was there I've met tons of ppl who entered in 2002. There many, many ppl who don't graduate basic science in 16 months. Many have to repeat a semester or two, and it takes them full two years. And those are not just isolated cases. There were about 80 ppl from the semester before in my class of 320. Don't kid yourself. If they feel that you'll flank the boards you ain't getting off the island, and if you can't handle your shelve exams, and comp they'll give you a boot, which I entirely agree with. Two years is not "old" info for the school that was established in 1978. Trust me...it's not :rolleyes:

I don't know where you get your info from, but 2004 is certainly not old. You seem to have some kind of a hang up about it. You do understand that I didn't just visit Dominca for a weekend :rolleyes: I did two semesters, my friend, May and September. How would you know if that info is old without being there then, and more importantly now. I keep in touch with lots of ppl from my original class. So far nothing major had really changed, the places I've stayed at are still there, most basic science, and the department chair ppl are still there. ROSS introduced MCAT in September of 2004, and my class of May 2004 was the last one to get in without MCAT. And that what actually prompted me to hurry, and leave for the island within less than one month of admission. That's why I highly recomend to anyone "not to rush" medical school, no matter how attractive it may seem at first. BTW if you think 2004...you really don't know jack about ROSS. When I was there I've met tons of ppl who entered in 2002. There many, many ppl who don't graduate basic science in 16 months. Many have to repeat a semester or two, and it takes them full two years. And those are not just isolated cases. There were about 80 ppl from the semester before in my class of 320. Don't kid yourself. If they feel that you'll flank the boards you ain't getting off the island, and if you can't handle your shelve exams, and comp they'll give you a boot, which I entirely agree with. Two years is not "old" info for the school that was established in 1978. Trust me...it's not :rolleyes:

OK BILLY,,you have all this advice and knowledge,,may I ask when you will begin med school? what are your plans?

OK BILLY,,you have all this advice and knowledge,,may I ask when you will begin med school? what are your plans?

both in private, and on these boards. Since it so happened that I had to take time off for personal health, and my family's sanity....I'm trying U.S first. I do believe that I've got a shot. My major obstacle is MCAT, but I'm working on it. I'm sure the Caribbean schools I've been accepted to will gladly take my money anytime. Actually one already did :smuggrin: Medicine is a very expensive career, and gets you wether you like it or not...for life, literally, by way of major debt. I won't rush into it again. B/c of my previous training, working experience and the interest in the field D.O would be by far a better fit for me. Laugh all you want, but it's true.

billydoc,

may i ask why you left med. school? is going to the carrib. really that much different than going to a us school? in the end you are still an MD. i know a few doctors that have gone overseas and they were happy with the experience and also were able to specialize in what they wanted.

billydoc,

may i ask why you left med. school? is going to the carrib. really that much different than going to a us school? in the end you are still an MD. i know a few doctors that have gone overseas and they were happy with the experience and also were able to specialize in what they wanted.

Assuming that it wasn't a treack question...yes, graduating from the American medical school makes life a lot more easier, for the most part.
To answer your question why I left...there was a number of problems for me going there to begin with. I applied and was accepted there on a short notice, didn't do much review after being out of school for almost 15 years back then. That put some major strain on my health, and even though I pulled through I new that I was "running on empty". Some of my chronic health problems came to live in quite an accute form. Also, I'm married. My child even back then was already of the school age. There is no good infrustructure on Dominica, and I couldn't put my family through it. B/c deep down inside I've realized that I've rushed into going there. I never even tried getting in U.S, and started cutting corners. Believe me, that "cutting" is liable to catch up with you probably when you least expect to get hit. I just didn't want my dream to become my family's nightmare. Generally, going to the medical school anywhere is going to require some major planning and prep, and even more so when going abroad...without your family, who depend on you. I'm not saying that you won't be a doctor, or that ppl with kids, and families don't go off shore to get their medical education. But it is warranted only as a last resort, and I've used it as my first option, b/c it looked like the "right" and "quick" way to get there. Anyway, I decided to withdraw by taking medical LOA, which is true, and is very well documented. But, I have to do it right this time. Falure is not an option, and I know I will get in in U.S school. However, I'm not knocking the carib option at all. It's a very viable route, and if I didn't have the responsibility to my family first, and everything else second, I'd stick it out at ROSS. But why suffer? It's already a very difficult, and a very, very long road...it's a a marathon, not a sprint.

Best of Luck to all with your choices :luck:

Assuming that it wasn't a treack question...yes, graduating from the American medical school makes life a lot more easier, for the most part.
To answer your question why I left...there was a number of problems for me going there to begin with. I applied and was accepted there on a short notice, didn't do much review after being out of school for almost 15 years back then. That put some major strain on my health, and even though I pulled through I new that I was "running on empty". Some of my chronic health problems came to live in quite an accute form. Also, I'm married. My child even back then was already of the school age. There is no good infrustructure on Dominica, and I couldn't put my family through it. B/c deep down inside I've realized that I've rushed into going there. I never even tried getting in U.S, and started cutting corners. Believe me, that "cutting" is liable to catch up with you probably when you least expect to get hit. I just didn't want my dream to become my family's nightmare. Generally, going to the medical school anywhere is going to require some major planning and prep, and even more so when going abroad...without your family, who depend on you. I'm not saying that you won't be a doctor, or that ppl with kids, and families don't go off shore to get their medical education. But it is warranted only as a last resort, and I've used it as my first option, b/c it looked like the "right" and "quick" way to get there. Anyway, I decided to withdraw by taking medical LOA, which is true, and is very well documented. But, I have to do it right this time. Falure is not an option, and I know I will get in in U.S school. However, I'm not knocking the carib option at all. It's a very viable route, and if I didn't have the responsibility to my family first, and everything else second, I'd stick it out at ROSS. But why suffer? It's already a very difficult, and a very, very long road...it's a a marathon, not a sprint.

Best of Luck to all with your choices :luck:

WHETHER you go carib or us it will still be a burden so what has really changed? You went to Ross in 04 but its 07 now...now you going to study for the mcat and try for us school,,and you tell me all this is not stressful?How has your medical condition changed to make a diff? I am confused here on your statements. Just because you re local is not going to change the situation much for most,,so now 4-5 yrs have gone by and you re still in the same boat..so, again, why would being away 16 months change anything drastically in carib,,? even if you went to ross you would have been done by now, worrying about what resids you ll get into is foolish because nobody knows..worrying about new schools is too..your view may mean well but does not make any sense. Its either you go or you don t,,going DO MD in USA or md in carib will make little difference unless you want derm and gas but if you do well on your boards you can still get it..its all in how you present yourself and personality, sorry billy but you seem very stuck and in confused in the direction you re going to take. either take the oppty or just let it rest for yourself and your family..the stress alone about going is enough to make anyone sick..

WHETHER you go carib or us it will still be a burden so what has really changed? You went to Ross in 04 but its 07 now...now you going to study for the mcat and try for us school,,and you tell me all this is not stressful?How has your medical condition changed to make a diff? I am confused here on your statements. Just because you re local is not going to change the situation much for most,,so now 4-5 yrs have gone by and you re still in the same boat..so, again, why would being away 16 months change anything drastically in carib,,? even if you went to ross you would have been done by now, worrying about what resids you ll get into is foolish because nobody knows..worrying about new schools is too..your view may mean well but does not make any sense. Its either you go or you don t,,going DO MD in USA or md in carib will make little difference unless you want derm and gas but if you do well on your boards you can still get it..its all in how you present yourself and personality, sorry billy but you seem very stuck and in confused in the direction you re going to take. either take the oppty or just let it rest for yourself and your family..the stress alone about going is enough to make anyone sick..

But...get back to me when you go away, and "do well" in school, on your boards, and getting the residency. "If and but" are very good tools for the hypothetical discussion. I know what I'm talking about, and each person's situation is different. Do you even have kids, for starters? I don't mean to be rude, but you seem to advice me "go now or never". My good friend, I know that I'm doing much better on Mainland, and I'm sure of my success. But until you went at least somewhere, you really have NO CLUE of what you are talking about. It's being an armchair general at best. Also Dominica is a far worse island than Grand Cayman where you are traveling. The 16 months mantra...year...may be and may be not. It's not a guarantee. Being done with ROSS if I stayed in '04 is a speculation again. There were many, many ppl who for one reason or the other had to withdraw, defer, decell etc. I already told you what ppl who are interviewing now with absolutely stellar stats are saying, and it's only gonna get worse as the applicant pull increases, and more and more of new American schools start pumping out their first graduates. It's really impossible to predict the future, but if you look at the match statistics you'll see things are getting tougher, and tougher. And I'm not sure that I'm dead set on FP. I want PM&R, or may be some other specialty. Now, if you are an IMG and over 40 y.o....should I continue, or for once you could arrive to a logical end yourself? Good Luck, buddy! Go SMU! And I'm right behind you, but only if G-D forbid I don't get in the States. But I will. And yes, my health is far better when I sleep in my own bed, and when I see my daughter, even if she is already sleeping when I come home, and is not up yet when I'm rolling out the door. To me it's worth it. You bet!

But...get back to me when you go away, and "do well" in school, on your boards, and getting the residency. "If and but" are very good tools for the hypothetical discussion. I know what I'm talking about, and each person's situation is different. Do you even have kids, for starters? I don't mean to be rude, but you seem to advice me "go now or never". My good friend, I know that I'm doing much better on Mainland, and I'm sure of my success. But until you went at least somewhere, you really have NO CLUE of what you are talking about. It's being an armchair general at best. Also Dominica is a far worse island than Grand Cayman where you are traveling. The 16 months mantra...year...may be and may be not. It's not a guarantee. Being done with ROSS if I stayed in '04 is a speculation again. There were many, many ppl who for one reason or the other had to withdraw, defer, decell etc. I already told you what ppl who are interviewing now with absolutely stellar stats are saying, and it's only gonna get worse as the applicant pull increases, and more and more of new American schools start pumping out their first graduates. It's really impossible to predict the future, but if you look at the match statistics you'll see things are getting tougher, and tougher. And I'm not sure that I'm dead set on FP. I want PM&R, or may be some other specialty. Now, if you are an IMG and over 40 y.o....should I continue, or for once you could arrive to a logical end yourself? Good Luck, buddy! Go SMU! And I'm right behind you, but only if G-D forbid I don't get in the States. But I will. And yes, my health is far better when I sleep in my own bed, and when I see my daughter, even if she is already sleeping when I come home, and is not up yet when I'm rolling out the door. To me it's worth it. You bet!

I would just go to the Carribean while meeting with some residency program directors. Politics can be to your advantage...

I would just go to the Carribean while meeting with some residency program directors. Politics can be to your advantage...
Oohhh, O'K. So what is holding you back? Go for it.

Billy,

Those are some very strong words you have against the Carribean. I obviously don't know your personal story or reasons for not going but I can see the other poster's point. You'd already be done with Ross by now. You'd have been back in the states for about 2 years and about to finish your MD. Yet you are still back in the same position as you were 3 years ago.

I know this friend cuz I am in the same position as you. I am 27 and not getting any younger. I've been at this "trying to get into a US school" for 3 years now, and still no luck. Thats with applying with a MCAT of 28 for 2 of those years and a 31 this last year. I still couldn't get in, not even to the DO schools. And I applied to ALL of them. Even after doing night classes and summer classes after I graduated. Now I am in a post bacc. So, now, after about $40,000 - 45,000 later, I am still in the same boat.

3 years lost
$40,000 lost
All the time and energy spent on writing essays, filling out applications, requesting transcripts, calling relentlessly, going to interviews - lost

And I'm still in the same boat. I should have gone STRAIGHT to Ross 3 years ago. I am sure you are right about the residencies becoming competitive, but I would expect more residencies to be opening up. They are forecasting a shortage of thousands of doctors and residencies are DECREASING? That makes no sense. The opposite should be happening.

Billy,

Those are some very strong words you have against the Carribean. I obviously don't know your personal story or reasons for not going but I can see the other poster's point. You'd already be done with Ross by now. You'd have been back in the states for about 2 years and about to finish your MD. Yet you are still back in the same position as you were 3 years ago.

I know this friend cuz I am in the same position as you. I am 27 and not getting any younger. I've been at this "trying to get into a US school" for 3 years now, and still no luck. Thats with applying with a MCAT of 28 for 2 of those years and a 31 this last year. I still couldn't get in, not even to the DO schools. And I applied to ALL of them. Even after doing night classes and summer classes after I graduated. Now I am in a post bacc. So, now, after about $40,000 - 45,000 later, I am still in the same boat.

3 years lost
$40,000 lost
All the time and energy spent on writing essays, filling out applications, requesting transcripts, calling relentlessly, going to interviews - lost

And I'm still in the same boat. I should have gone STRAIGHT to Ross 3 years ago. I am sure you are right about the residencies becoming competitive, but I would expect more residencies to be opening up. They are forecasting a shortage of thousands of doctors and residencies are DECREASING? That makes no sense. The opposite should be happening.

I absolutely have nothing against the Caribbean. If I could have stayed at ROSS I would. I can't re-post my ROSS story in the same thread. Just look up 3 or 4 posts ago. What I'm against is what I, not anybody else did, and that's going to ROSS rushing like there was no tomorrow, and using it as the only way to get there. I should have tried U.S first. But since I got quite sick, I needed time to recover. And believe me it's very tempting to go to Carib. But I only speak of my situation when asked about it. I don't come here to tell everybody something like "don't go to Carib". Only you could decide what's right for you. If you don't have a family responsibility, and 28 (yeah, I whish I was 28 again :rolleyes: ) then go, especially if you already tried U.S. As for residency...the medicare cuts are already proposed, the Amerian schools are expanding. tat's not a hysteria, and the sky is not falling... yet. But you can't look at reality and just remain in denial, b/c it's not what you want to hear, or willing to accept. A healthy dose of skeptiism never hurt anyone. Don't kid yourselves guys. There is no doctors shortage, there is a shortage of suckers who are willing to do the work for a minimum (doctor) wage after going in debt $200K and beyond. I'm and RN myself. And the "nursing shortage" has the same ethiology as forcasted "doctors shortage". I hope I'm wrong... But I already went to the Carib, and I hear the feedback from my upperclassmen who are going through their residency placement right now. May be my conclusion is wrong, but it seems to me that D.O route is a much better option for me right now

I absolutely have nothing against the Caribbean. If I could have stayed at ROSS I would. I can't re-post my ROSS story in the same thread. Just look up 3 or 4 posts ago. What I'm against is what I, not anybody else did, and that's going to ROSS rushing like there was no tomorrow, and using it as the only way to get there. I should have tried U.S first. But since I got quite sick, I needed time to recover. And believe me it's very tempting to go to Carib. But I only speak of my situation when asked about it. I don't come here to tell everybody something like "don't go to Carib". Only you could decide what's right for you. If you don't have a family responsibility, and 28 (yeah, I whish I was 28 again :rolleyes: ) then go, especially if you already tried U.S. As for residency...the medicare cuts are already proposed, the Amerian schools are expanding. tat's not a hysteria, and the sky is not falling... yet. But you can't look at reality and just remain in denial, b/c it's not what you want to hear, or willing to accept. A healthy dose of skeptiism never hurt anyone. Don't kid yourselves guys. There is no doctors shortage, there is a shortage of suckers who are willing to do the work for a minimum (doctor) wage after going in debt $200K and beyond. I'm and RN myself. And the "nursing shortage" has the same ethiology as forcasted "doctors shortage". I hope I'm wrong... But I already went to the Carib, and I hear the feedback from my upperclassmen who are going through their residency placement right now. May be my conclusion is wrong, but it seems to me that D.O route is a much better option for me right now

Billy, give it up friend, there are many people who just like to argue.

Many who post here are premeds and really have no knowledge of medschool yet ( even though they "Took classes at a medschool")

You do not have to keep re explaining yourself to anyone, we all answer to ourselves and that's what matters in the end

Good Luck

Billy, give it up friend, there are many people who just like to argue.

Many who post here are premeds and really have no knowledge of medschool yet ( even though they "Took classes at a medschool")

You do not have to keep re explaining yourself to anyone, we all answer to ourselves and that's what matters in the end

Good Luck

Amen to this Brother. I only do it so ppl understand that they are trying to prove something to me by talking the talk without having walking the walk yet. That's funny. It's like I start telling you things about St. James, lol :laugh: . It's all hearsay until you get where you wanna go. But anyway, I'm signing off of this thread.

Peace

billydoc,

thanks for your response. i do understand. it is not easy. best of luck to you.

ps- do you know much about becomig an MD in the US after being an RN? the only reason i ask is (not to upset you) bc i hear it is very difficult and that RNs are put at a huge disadvatage.

Hey guys, don't worry about all this stuff. Just study really hard, do well in class, and prepare to murder the USMLE and it will all work out :)

billydoc,

thanks for your response. i do understand. it is not easy. best of luck to you.

ps- do you know much about becomig an MD in the US after being an RN? the only reason i ask is (not to upset you) bc i hear it is very difficult and that RNs are put at a huge disadvatage.

If you scroll up to the Nontrad forum you'll see quite a few posts by former (and current) allied health care pros, including the "nursey breed" :smuggrin: RN, NP,CNS, CRNA, CNM who are either on their way or already in med schools. From what I hear the feedback is actually quite positive. But having said this most of us with health field(s) experience need to understand that we, just like all other applicants, MUST produce comparable numbers to be considered by the adcoms. Nursing (including the advance practice) generally tends to be quite weak on basic science. Many nurses, and other allied health folks (I know) have that common misconception about the medical school, seeing themselves in clinicals and residency, and underestimating the basic science portion. That comes back and kicks them (including me) in the a$$. It's true that when you get through basic science the folks with healthcare background (esp inpatient) are light years ahead of their peers who came straight from school. The adcoms know it too. That's why they want the nurses and others to be on the same page with the trad premeds. Quite frankly, in my case of ROSS, and SABA admission they were blinded by over 15 yrs of different fields of nursing (from critical care to psych to paper pushing in case management of the major insurance carrier), M.S in Acupuncture and private practice. But that means nothing in basic science, and just like many who underestimated the ennormity (spl?) of that portion I was getting swamped, and was on a very, very thin ice. I pulled through, but knew that I'd need to catch my breath. I wish that ROSS had a decell option like SMU and SABA and many others. But anyway, I don't think that nurses at any particular disadvantageper se, but just need to be humble about the whole process. And that seems to be the hardest part for quite a few. My $0.02
Good Luck :luck:

If you scroll up to the Nontrad forum you'll see quite a few posts by former (and current) allied health care pros, including the "nursey breed" :smuggrin: RN, NP,CNS, CRNA, CNM who are either on their way or already in med schools. From what I hear the feedback is actually quite positive. But having said this most of us with health field(s) experience need to understand that we, just like all other applicants, MUST produce comparable numbers to be considered by the adcoms. Nursing (including the advance practice) generally tends to be quite weak on basic science. Many nurses, and other allied health folks (I know) have that common misconception about the medical school, seeing themselves in clinicals and residency, and underestimating the basic science portion. That comes back and kicks them (including me) in the a$$. It's true that when you get through basic science the folks with healthcare background (esp inpatient) are light years ahead of their peers who came straight from school. The adcoms know it too. That's why they want the nurses and others to be on the same page with the trad premeds. Quite frankly, in my case of ROSS, and SABA admission they were blinded by over 15 yrs of different fields of nursing (from critical care to psych to paper pushing in case management of the major insurance carrier), M.S in Acupuncture and private practice. But that means nothing in basic science, and just like many who underestimated the ennormity (spl?) of that portion I was getting swamped, and was on a very, very thin ice. I pulled through, but knew that I'd need to catch my breath. I wish that ROSS had a decell option like SMU and SABA and many others. But anyway, I don't think that nurses at any particular disadvantageper se, but just need to be humble about the whole process. And that seems to be the hardest part for quite a few. My $0.02
Good Luck :luck:

Nurses (turned MS III/IV) may be light years ahead in doing basic procedures like Foleys, blood draws, etc. But they are on the same level when it comes to understanding the indications, contraindications and complications of such procedures.

I personally do not think they are at any superadvantage at all....except being comfortable being with a patient. I personally know Nurses (turned MSIII) who used to boss around the clinical students during core rotations...and now that same Nurse cannot still pass USMLE STEP 2 and consequently is not matching this year.

Just to be clear...I am a PT turned MD...and I never was at any big advantage, besides being able to learn anatomy a little quicker.

Nurses (turned MS III/IV) may be light years ahead in doing basic procedures like Foleys, blood draws, etc. But they are on the same level when it comes to understanding the indications, contraindications and complications of such procedures.

I personally do not think they are at any superadvantage at all....except being comfortable being with a patient. I personally know Nurses (turned MSIII) who used to boss around the clinical students during core rotations...and now that same Nurse cannot still pass USMLE STEP 2 and consequently is not matching this year.

Just to be clear...I am a PT turned MD...and I never was at any big advantage, besides being able to learn anatomy a little quicker.

So Shah, you are just proving my point. Though I'd say that an advantage or a disadvantage in clinicals by an RN largely depends on his/her area of practice. Regular med/surg/rehab vs ER, Trauma, OR, critical care is no match as far as doing and understanding procedures. General scope for what nurse is covered to do is by far expanded in the fast pace and critical thinking environment. Also I worked a lot in the administrative branch, not only the clinical one. Undarstanding the system (and how to navigate in it :p ) goes a long way to help in real World, IMHO ;)

forget it I may have missunderstood?

OK,,good luck but you will still b deciding on which school to attend
10 yrs from now I wish you luck,,you seem to worry about every factor but one,,,your abilities!! I will try and not procrastinate,,I was just trying to start that fire in you but its not working

So Shah, you are just proving my point. Though I'd say that an advantage or a disadvantage in clinicals by an RN largely depends on his/her area of practice. Regular med/surg/rehab vs ER, Trauma, OR, critical care is no match as far as doing and understanding procedures. General scope for what nurse is covered to do is by far expanded in the fast pace and critical thinking environment. Also I worked a lot in the administrative branch, not only the clinical one. Undarstanding the system (and how to navigate in it :p ) goes a long way to help in real World, IMHO ;)

walk the walk? billy cmon man,,you went to ross for a little while and now you re bashing the carib schools this all coming from a guy ready to go to bonaire med school,,,all the time wasted when you could have been done already,,now you re trying us schools, good luck but if you felt you were good enough then you would have gone us first and not carib..sorry folks but I just hate procrastinators and bs ers..the guy realizes that he cannot hack the carib so now he bashes it and has the nerve to say he going to us school now,,people see thru this billy,,be true to yourself and you can never go wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.