This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorTea26

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I applied last year pretty late in the cycle and ended up getting an interview and was placed on the waitlist. There are a lot of reasons why I applied late, I was sexually assaulted by a doctor I shadowed and I pressed charges against him which meant I had to fly to New York a lot..this obviously messed up my MCAT too.. I won't get into any more detail because it is what it is and the schools have been informed of this. Also, the school I was waitlisted at had me thinking I was in the running for a rollover acceptance for 2018. So, late July rolls around (when we were supposed to get a final decision) and I was not offered a roll over. I asked the school if I should retake the MCAT again and they said it wouldn't hurt, but my concern is that September 9 is really soon and I only have been studying for the exam for a week at this point--not to mention I can't find a seat anywhere! My score is improving but it seems like it could be hard to pull off. I know this is a lot of back story but my question is this:

Should I take the MCAT in September with only marginal improvement, or should I wait and really nail it in January? I run the risk of schools rejecting me already regardless because I do have two low scores submitted (494 and 495 taken like a month and a half apart). But i feel like if i take the test later in January a lot of schools are going to pass on my app, so maybe even getting just like a 498-500 could be worth it? But then I'm all...one school waitlisted me even though i applied in october 2016, so maybe my app isn't THAT bad.. idkkkkk I have already applied for this new cycle and completed most of my secondaries, one school has emailed me and said they want to wait and see how I do on the MCAT before they will offer me an interview. So presumably, other schools will be thinking the same thing.

My App:
I'm a nontraditional student, 29 year old female from Texas.
I have a BFA from the pacific northwest college of art, I majored in sculpture--GPA 3.16
Post-bacc program at SFSU--GPA 3.42, cumulative 3.26
The new GPA calculation shows I have a 3.09 which I was told by an AdCom that is isn't a huge deal because most schools will look at our gpas the old way...thank god.
400+ hours shadowing rural DO
250 hours volunteering at San Francisco General Hospital at an abortion clinic
Certified phlebotomist, never worked just trained
I have worked for a health and wellness newsletter since 2013, so I write a lot about studies and trends in health care.
I will take microbio with lab and anatomy with lab in the fall.
I am a student mentor at my school and am trying to get an osteopathic premedical club going!
Student member of AMWA since 2014.
My dad is an osteopath in North Texas, he cohosts a television show with my mom about medical research.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I really think you should wait and apply next year. You already have two bad MCAT scores, the second one looking very rushed. You're trying to rush it once again. Marginal improvement will not help you at all at this point.

Reactions: 1 user
I really think you should wait and apply next year. You already have two bad MCAT scores, the second one looking very rushed. You're trying to rush it once again. Marginal improvement will not help you at all at this point.
I mean because I submitted everything already, shouldn't I keep doing secondaries on the off chance I can get in somewhere? I guess thats what I'm saying is i had no time once i found out about the roll over, so you think I should take it in January?

Members don't see this ad :)
I mean because I submitted everything already, shouldn't I keep doing secondaries on the off chance I can get in somewhere? I guess thats what I'm saying is i had no time once i found out about the roll over, so you think I should take it in January?

Your approach is not good. The off chance? That just seems too risky. Do you want to be a third time applicant? It only decreases your chances further and a third poor MCAT score will be a nail in the coffin. I wouldn't rush it, take it when you're ready to take it and not a day sooner.

Reactions: 1 users
Did you interview at a DO school? I strongly encourge you to not take the MCAT a third time with out have about 3 practice tests in a row at 500 or better. With your GPA, 505 would be the best bet for a DO school and that is pushing it. You need to do pretty well on this MCAT. This is make or break so dont rush it.

Reactions: 1 users
Did you interview at a DO school? I strongly encourge you to not take the MCAT a third time with out have about 3 practice tests in a row at 500 or better. With your GPA, 505 would be the best bet for a DO school and that is pushing it. You need to do pretty well on this MCAT. This is make or break so dont rush it.
I agree, and yes it was at a DO school. When I was taking practice tests last year before the assault I was getting a 505! I know I can get back there again, and yea the third attempt has to be the stellar for sure. Thanks for everyone's honesty.

There were a lot of people that got in off the waitlist with my stats so sometimes I'm unsure of exsaclty what it is that pulls the most weight with apps. I know the mcat is important as is GPA but the school I interviewed at told me neither was a deal breaker. They have a 490 minimum and a 498 average I think.

So I applied last year pretty late in the cycle and ended up getting an interview and was placed on the waitlist. There are a lot of reasons why I applied late, I was sexually assaulted by a doctor I shadowed and I pressed charges against him which meant I had to fly to New York a lot..this obviously messed up my MCAT too.. I won't get into any more detail because it is what it is and the schools have been informed of this. Also, the school I was waitlisted at had me thinking I was in the running for a rollover acceptance for 2018. So, late July rolls around (when we were supposed to get a final decision) and I was not offered a roll over. I asked the school if I should retake the MCAT again and they said it wouldn't hurt, but my concern is that September 9 is really soon and I only have been studying for the exam for a week at this point--not to mention I can't find a seat anywhere! My score is improving but it seems like it could be hard to pull off. I know this is a lot of back story but my question is this:

Should I take the MCAT in September with only marginal improvement, or should I wait and really nail it in January? I run the risk of schools rejecting me already regardless because I do have two low scores submitted (494 and 495 taken like a month and a half apart). But i feel like if i take the test later in January a lot of schools are going to pass on my app, so maybe even getting just like a 498-500 could be worth it? But then I'm all...one school waitlisted me even though i applied in october 2016, so maybe my app isn't THAT bad.. idkkkkk I have already applied for this new cycle and completed most of my secondaries, one school has emailed me and said they want to wait and see how I do on the MCAT before they will offer me an interview. So presumably, other schools will be thinking the same thing.

My App:
I'm a nontraditional student, 29 year old female from Texas.
I have a BFA from the pacific northwest college of art, I majored in sculpture--GPA 3.16
Post-bacc program at SFSU--GPA 3.32, cumulative 3.26
The new GPA calculation shows I have a 3.09 which I was told by an AdCom that is isn't a huge deal because most schools will look at our gpas the old way...thank god.
400+ hours shadowing rural DO
250 hours volunteering at San Francisco General Hospital at an abortion clinic
Certified phlebotomist, never worked just trained
I have worked for a health and wellness newsletter since 2013, so I write a lot about studies and trends in health care.
I will take microbio with lab and anatomy with lab in the fall.
I am a student mentor at my school and am trying to get an osteopathic premedical club going!
Student member of AMWA since 2014.
My dad is an osteopath in North Texas, he cohosts a television show with my mom about medical research.
Med schools will not wait for your new score, you will be evaluated on the app as submitted.

As of right now you pretty much DOA at most schools, except possibly the newest ones.
Your post-bacc GPA doesn't inspire confidence that you can handle medical school....you're supposed to ace post-bacs

At this point, I suggest Plan B.

Reactions: 1 user
Med schools will not wait for your new score, you will be evaluated on the app as submitted.

As of right now you pretty much DOA at most schools, except possibly the newest ones.
Your post-bacc GPA doesn't inspire confidence that you can handle medical school....you're supposed to ace post-bacs

At this point, I suggest Plan B.
I have been emailed by a school saying they are going to wait for my next score... so they do wait sometimes. You are supposed to ace post baccs, you are also supposed to ace a masters program and anything else you do. That is what it supposed to happen but it doesn't always I guess. Thanks for the input!

Are you dead set on becoming a DO? There is another profession were your scores are competitive.

Are you dead set on becoming a DO? There is another profession were your scores are competitive.
I am, I have no experience in PA stuff (is that the other option ur referring to?) I'm considering getting a masters though.

Podiatry. You already have an MCAT and GPA all you need is podiatry shadowing. It shouldnt be a back up plan but if you look into it and like it, it could be a great option.