2nd year pre-med student, how do I look so far?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

modernfam

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I just want some feedback so that I can figure out what I should be working on.

Dual-enrolled high school senior graduating with my diploma and Associates in Arts degree with a
Biology major

GPA: 3.52 (Will improve to a 3.6 by end of 2nd year. Goal is 3.7-3.8 by end of junior year)
MCAT: possibly take it in during the spring of junior year (or should I take it in the fall?)

Volunteering: (C-Clinical) (N-Non clinical)
- (C) Hospital volunteer: transported patients, patient support, clerical work, tour guide, deliveries (flowers, blood bank) (2015-2017) (100 hours)
- (N) Kiwanis: Member of Kiwanis/Key Club; participate in elementary schools with festivals, marathons, tour guides, etc. (2015-Present)
- (N) PTK: Recently invited to an honor society (3.5 gpa+)

Internship:
I'm an intern at a research and development company. We use applications of chemistry and its contribution to determine how to detect explosives that are used in airports. Responsible for testing and blending chemicals used in the process of creating textiles that are wiped on a surface to determine peroxide explosives. (Once a week for 2-4 hours)

Work:
Child care worker- Provide meals for families receiving counseling and care for children through lesson plans and art activities.

Leadership:
Shift leader- I start preparing the food for the families and set up the center while also monitoring the other employees at work
Volunteer trainer- After my long service to a local hospital, I soon started to train new volunteers of their duties by demonstrating locations around the hospital, deliveries, and patient support.

I know I need more clinical experience so please list anything that comes to mind!
I also plan to start shadowing physicians, where do I start?
How many hours of shadowing, clinical volunteering, and non-clinical volunteering is considered sufficient?

I also have a slight fear that I do not have enough of my application, what can I do during a GAP year? I'm considering all of my options, but I prefer not to take a GAP year.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
1. Keep working on that GPA.

2. Take the MCAT when you're ready. Don't try to cram in classes to fit a self-imposed deadline.

3. You have a good mix of ECs. Keep it up.

4. There are several ways to start shadowing:
a. Check with your school's pre-professional office or career counseling center for any contacts they have.
b. Talk to physicians you know from your community (i.e., someone you know from church, your friend's parent, your kid brother's Little League coach, etc.).
c. Ask your own physician if s/he allows shadowing or knows anyone who does.
d. Start cold-calling physicians.
5. Refer to LizzyM's guidance for determining how many hours of each EC you should do: How many volunteer hours are solid?.

6. It's too early to be worried about gap years. Just keep working hard at what you're doing for now.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Dual-enrolled high school senior graduating with my diploma and Associates in Arts degree with a
Biology major
Excuse my naivety but what does that mean? Are you in college yet? Are you graduating from college and high school at the same time? How old are you?

Members don't see this ad :)
Excuse my naivety but what does that mean? Are you in college yet? Are you graduating from college and high school at the same time? How old are you?

It means they did 2 years of college courses while in highschool so they pretty much have junior standing their freshman year of college.

I'm currently a senior in high school. I'm in a program that allows me to earn my associate's degree from a community college by high school graduation. In other terms, I was academically a college freshman when I was a high school junior. I'm 17 btw.