3.3 cgpa 3.1 sgpa 518 MCAT URM from HYP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lanoya2016

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

TX res

Graduated from HYP as a Biology Major
URM- black female

My low GPA is derived from the fact that I had a very sick family member that I had to take care of while going to school. This meant working 40+ hours a week t0 financially support myself and my family and most months traveling from the east coast back to help take care of this family member.

EC/Experience

Founder of an organization that developed primary research on mental health of immigrant youth and works to connect families with resources to help family members dealing with issues of mental health. Findings were published on a running website that constantly posts videos and blogs on issues of mental health and how to cope and find help.

Director of a mentorship program for young black women
President of diversity group on campus

Over 300 hrs volunteering
- Food banks
- youth programs
- Speech instructor
- Tutoring youth in the community

Over 200 hours volunteering and shadowing both abroad and in country
-working with pediatricians and GPs

Conducted junior capstone on early childhood aggression and the biological impact of poverty on mechanisms that influence childhood aggression

Conducted sophomore capstone on the impact of culturally competent care on patient progress

I have already set my mind to apply this cycle and would love help deciding what are MD programs that are within my reach.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

TX res

Graduated from HYP as a Biology Major
URM- black female

My low GPA is derived from the fact that I had a very sick family member that I had to take care of while going to school. This meant working 40+ hours a week t0 financially support myself and my family and most months traveling from the east coast back to help take care of this family member.

EC/Experience

Founder of an organization that developed primary research on mental health of immigrant youth and works to connect families with resources to help family members dealing with issues of mental health. Findings were published on a running website that constantly posts videos and blogs on issues of mental health and how to cope and find help.

Director of a mentorship program for young black women
President of diversity group on campus

Over 300 hrs volunteering
- Food banks
- youth programs
- Speech instructor
- Tutoring youth in the community

Over 200 hours volunteering and shadowing both abroad and in country
-working with pediatricians and GPs

Conducted junior capstone on early childhood aggression and the biological impact of poverty on mechanisms that influence childhood aggression

Conducted sophomore capstone on the impact of culturally competent care on patient progress

I have already set my mind to apply this cycle and would love help deciding what are MD programs that are within my reach.

Do you want to attend a Texas school? I would think that though your GPA is on the low end, the high MCAT and good EC make up for it. I'll let the experts weigh in but I think most of the Texas schools are options for you. Outside of Texas I think you'd be a shoo-in for any HBCU med school and for many other schools too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you want to attend a Texas school? I would think that though your GPA is on the low end, the high MCAT and good EC make up for it. I'll let the experts weigh in but I think most of the Texas schools are options for you. Outside of Texas I think you'd be a shoo-in for any HBCU med school and for many other schools too.
I would like to attend Texas schools and they are definitely all on my list of schools I am applying to!

You have a good chance anywhere. Include some mid tiers as back up but chances are you wind up at top 20s.

Reactions: 1 user