This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gcuvier

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Come back when you actually have an MCAT score. Hypothetical questions can only get you answers that are hypothetical and no one has time for that.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
So after some time of wanting to calculate my cGPA w/ out grade replacement, I am devastated to find out it is so low. This is due to failing out my first semester of college. Other than that, my app is looking pretty solid (good ECs, LORs, etc. etc.). Given I score an MCAT between 509-515, is MD still an option? I could easily explain my first semester of college in my PS (I was going through a "what I want to do w/ my life" crisis). What do you all think? Do you all think MD schools would disregard the cGPA (w/ out grade replacement) if I were to explain it in my PS effectively? Please advise.

EDIT: I graduate spring 2019 and will be taking two years off to gain more clinical/research experience since I'm aiming for top 20s (ignoring my cGPA w/ out grade replacement, of course). Too ambitious?I am URM if that matters.

Thanks
What ethnic group do you represent?
There are MD schools (and all DO) that reward reinvention.

What ethnic group do you represent?
There are MD schools (and all DO) that reward reinvention.

I am Mexican-American. I guess I should've mentioned that I'll be taking the MCAT right upon graduation, and I would hate to take it if something like a graduate program is needed to demonstrate my abilities to some of these top 20s.

Why do want to attend a top 20 school? With your stats you should concentrate on getting an acceptance at one MD school. Your GPA is not the problem for MD schools. It is your MCAT of 503 that will limit your chances for interviews.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Why do want to attend a top 20 school? With your stats you should concentrate on getting an acceptance at one MD school. Your GPA is not the problem for MD schools. It is your MCAT of 503 that will limit your chances for interviews.

I’d like to conduct extensive research throughout my four years and find their facilities/faculty appropriate for my goals. I’ve even been considering MSTP. By the time of applying, I expect to have an extensive research portfolio. I realize I need to work on my MCAT but was more concerned with the prospect of having to add an SMP or any other post-bacc to my plan of already three gap years.

If you can increase your MCAT to 513+ your chances for a MD acceptance would increase. However, you should be aware that only 10% of those who retake the MCAT with a score of 503 increase their score to 513+. Over 1/3 end up with the same score or lower.

Reactions: 1 users
@Goro @LizzyM

Apologies for the super prolonged response but here is an update on my final stats:

Final AMCAS cGPA: 3.47/4.00 w/ an upward trend (Freshman: 2.07; Sophomore: 3.65; Junior: 3.84; Senior: 3.80)
Final sGPA: 3.53/4.00

MCAT: 503 (127/121/128/127) - I plan to retake aiming for nothing lower than a 508.

As I plan for the future (will apply in 2022 for fall of 2023), would I need an SMP or some sort of post-bacc program for GPA repair? Please advise.

Thanks!
Nope, you're golden right now

I’d like to conduct extensive research throughout my four years and find their facilities/faculty appropriate for my goals. I’ve even been considering MSTP. By the time of applying, I expect to have an extensive research portfolio. I realize I need to work on my MCAT but was more concerned with the prospect of having to add an SMP or any other post-bacc to my plan of already three gap years.
Okay first, kill that MCAT.

Second: get a strategy. Are you applying MD/PhD or MD only? If you get a lower MCAT, you'll have to drop the MSTP and maybe pick up DO. Research will always be an option at any medical school you will attend especially as a Latinx student; if no opportunities exist at your school, they will exist in the form of research fellowships at other medical schools or the NIH. PhD programs will also love to have you, so if you haven't connected with SACNAS, you will be putting yourself at a disadvantage in knowing all of your options.

Okay first, kill that MCAT.

Second: get a strategy. Are you applying MD/PhD or MD only? If you get a lower MCAT, you'll have to drop the MSTP and maybe pick up DO. Research will always be an option at any medical school you will attend especially as a Latinx student; if no opportunities exist at your school, they will exist in the form of research fellowships at other medical schools or the NIH. PhD programs will also love to have you, so if you haven't connected with SACNAS, you will be putting yourself at a disadvantage in knowing all of your options.

I’m preparing for MD/PhD. Thank you!