DO 3.42 cGPA, 3.15 sGPA - chances??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

layzer16

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I haven't taken the MCAT yet, but some help with a school list and target score would be much appreciated!! I'm really nervous about applying this cycle because my sGPA is so low. I'm currently a junior so I still have a full year of classes if I need to wait to apply. Here's my story:

3.42 cGPA, 3.15 sGPA
taking MCAT in a month
100+ hours volunteering in large research hospital, two different units
35 hours shadowing (MD and DO)
200+ hours volunteering as a medical intern/translator over a summer in Peru
1 year as a mentor for Big Brothers Big Sisters of America
1.5 years in a research lab - no publications, but received a scholarship to continue the work next year
1.5 years as a paid lab assistant
Leadership position for a two years in my sorority
various other clubs and activities
strong LOR from research PI, MD, DO, and science professor

Any help is appreciated!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Well, your cGPA is fine -- plus your ECs look good. I wouldn't worry too much about the sGPA, as it's not low enough as to get you screened out. I had a 3.15/3.15 and got into my first choice school (not to say that's typical), so I'd hazard a guess and say you'll be fine with a decent MCAT (29-32). Does your GPA include this current semester? Could you re-take a bad science class or two over the summer?

I included this semester in the GPA, but I'm taking one science class this summer. What schools would you recommend for my stats?

Members don't see this ad :)
I included this semester in the GPA, but I'm taking one science class this summer. What schools would you recommend for my stats?
Well, I'm not an expert on school-specific stats since I only applied narrowly to DO schools. @Goro or someone more in-the-know could give much better advice regarding school selection.

That being said, if I were you, I would apply to any DO school you're interested in -- I don't see any reason to limit yourself (barring a sub-par MCAT score).

OP, with those stats, you're fine for any DO program, including mine. Aim for high 20s and you're a shoo-in.

Well, I'm not an expert on school-specific stats since I only applied narrowly to DO schools. @Goro or someone more in-the-know could give much better advice regarding school selection.

That being said, if I were you, I would apply to any DO school you're interested in -- I don't see any reason to limit yourself (barring a sub-par MCAT score).

I haven't taken the MCAT yet, but some help with a school list and target score would be much appreciated!! I'm really nervous about applying this cycle because my sGPA is so low. I'm currently a junior so I still have a full year of classes if I need to wait to apply. Here's my story:

3.42 cGPA, 3.15 sGPA
taking MCAT in a month
100+ hours volunteering in large research hospital, two different units
35 hours shadowing (MD and DO)
200+ hours volunteering as a medical intern/translator over a summer in Peru
1 year as a mentor for Big Brothers Big Sisters of America
1.5 years in a research lab - no publications, but received a scholarship to continue the work next year
1.5 years as a paid lab assistant
Leadership position for a two years in my sorority
various other clubs and activities
strong LOR from research PI, MD, DO, and science professor

Any help is appreciated!!!
25 MCAT should get you into low tier DO... 28+ will make you competitive almost everywhere.