MD & DO 3.45 gpa/3.26 sgpa/508 mcat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ash.1996

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
a

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
DO schools feels like a good chance but with MD it seems really tight since the GPA is so low from the average. If you do try to commit it is one of those broadly and low tier types.

DO stats
Mcat-wise the mean for 2017 was 503 but I don't have much experience with how multiple retakes appears to admissions. What were the previous scores?

The mean for gpa was however
Science: 3.43
Non-Science: 3.64
Overall GPA: 3.53

(can't post links but googling this is easy to find)

You do have a reasonable explanation and a relatively good trend but, thinking from admissions perspective, what is the assurance you will be be able to fully commit this time? I remember talking with a couple of local admissions in that it is very hard if you end up exiting an MD program. Good news it doesn't seem impossible and there are people that get it despite downturns but you would have to be stellar (as in really bolster volunteering and the ability to show commitment) and explain your growth since that moment. I would do more research into these special cases but since you got into a BS/MD track program there clearly is something.

I am also premed so take everything with a grain of salt but best of luck in any case!

You are competitive for most DO schools so apply broadly to at least 12 and you should receive some interviews. Where is your state of residence?

Members don't see this ad :)
DO schools feels like a good chance but with MD it seems really tight since the GPA is so low from the average. If you do try to commit it is one of those broadly and low tier types.

DO stats
Mcat-wise the mean for 2017 was 503 but I don't have much experience with how multiple retakes appears to admissions. What were the previous scores?

The mean for gpa was however
Science: 3.43
Non-Science: 3.64
Overall GPA: 3.53

(can't post links but googling this is easy to find)

You do have a reasonable explanation and a relatively good trend but, thinking from admissions perspective, what is the assurance you will be be able to fully commit this time? I remember talking with a couple of local admissions in that it is very hard if you end up exiting an MD program. Good news it doesn't seem impossible and there are people that get it despite downturns but you would have to be stellar (as in really bolster volunteering and the ability to show commitment) and explain your growth since that moment. I would do more research into these special cases but since you got into a BS/MD track program there clearly is something.

I am also premed so take everything with a grain of salt but best of luck in any case!
alrighty thanks for the advice!!

You are competitive for most DO schools so apply broadly to at least 12 and you should receive some interviews. Where is your state of residence?
I'm from Ohio so I'm hoping for OU, and as far as MD i think i have very slight chance of getting into Toledo haha. thanks for the advice!

You could try these MD schools with your stats:
Toledo
Wright State
NEOMED
Oakland Beaumont
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Seton Hall
NOVA MD
Rosalind Franklin

Before you apply to any schools check and see if they average multiple MCAT scores. AMCAS recommends that they do but even if they don’t all of your scores are visible. From what you’ve said it looks like it took you five tries to break 500. Is that correct? I can’t imagine taking the MCAT 5 times. What were your other scores? You know your GPAs are low for MD and lowish for DO. This whole process gets more competitive every year so the only thing you can do is apply and see what happens. You don’t mention any ECs so that makes it harder to predict. Perhaps if you took a few semesters of upper division science classes and got all As it might show some ADCOMS that you are up for the challenges of med school.