MD 3.47 GPA 518 (131/129/130/128) MCAT WAMC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted942835

So I think my application is pretty clean outside of my GPA which is my biggest worry. sGPA is about the same as combined. For context schools is JHU with degree in Mol Cell Bio. I had a >3.5 GPA in all semesters save for sophomore year in which I had a 3.07 and 3.45, Lowest grade was a B- in Cell Bio which was my first college level bio class as I had APd out of intro. This is also with the fact that my mother got breast cancer during this year, which I understand some med schools may understand but I hate playing that card. Also my primary hasnt been submitted for this cycle by AMCAS, but I expect it will within a week (I plan on finishing my secondaries before receiving to minimize downtime)

Outside of that I have about a year of research experience with a non-first auth publication in Nature. Did 4 years of volunteer work at a clinic. Shadowed for a summer. Worked as a Physics Lab LA for 3 sems. And I'm currently scribbing, while getting involved in the research of the department I scribe in and have been able to attend some of their surgeries as well as recieve some good rec letters from reputable people.

Should also mention I am first generation hispanic.

Some of my friends think I have a good app but going through MSAR and seeing that I am at best in the 10 percentile of a lot of schools (and not even in the range for some others) in terms of GPA is discouraging. I'm just hoping they see the school and MCAT score and kind of justify it.

EDIT: I guess this is fine for a few so to clarify. WAMC for stuff like UF, GW and similar caliber

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
So I think my application is pretty clean outside of my GPA which is my biggest worry. sGPA is about the same as combined. For context schools is JHU with degree in Mol Cell Bio. I had a >3.5 GPA in all semesters save for sophomore year in which I had a 3.07 and 3.45, Lowest grade was a B- in Cell Bio which was my first college level bio class as I had APd out of intro. This is also with the fact that my mother got breast cancer during this year, which I understand some med schools may understand but I hate playing that card. Also my primary hasnt been submitted for this cycle by AMCAS, but I expect it will within a week (I plan on finishing my secondaries before receiving to minimize downtime)

Outside of that I have about a year of research experience with a non-first auth publication in Nature. Did 4 years of volunteer work at a clinic. Shadowed for a summer. Worked as a Physics Lab LA for 3 sems. And I'm currently scribbing, while getting involved in the research of the department I scribe in and have been able to attend some of their surgeries as well as recieve some good rec letters from reputable people.

Should also mention I am first generation hispanic.

Some of my friends think I have a good app but going through MSAR and seeing that I am at best in the 10 percentile of a lot of schools (and not even in the range for some others) in terms of GPA is discouraging. I'm just hoping they see the school and MCAT score and kind of justify it.

EDIT: I guess this is fine for a few so to clarify. WAMC for stuff like UF, GW and similar caliber
A 518 MCAT score is nothing to sneeze at.
Sinai
Case
Mayo
U VM
U IA
U Toledo
Wayne State
USF Morsani and all other FL schools
Miami
St. Louis
Albany
Albert Einstein
Rochester
Rush
Rosy Franklin
NYMC
EVMS
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
Tulane
USC/Keck
Dartmouth
Seton Hall
MCW
Loyola
Emory
BU
Duke
Pitt
Hofstra
Tufts
Oakland-B
Western MI
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Nova MD
WashU OR NYU OR U Chicago OR JHU

A 518 MCAT score is nothing to sneeze at.
Sinai
Case
Mayo
U VM
U IA
U Toledo
Wayne State
USF Morsani and all other FL schools
Miami
St. Louis
Albany
Albert Einstein
Rochester
Rush
Rosy Franklin
NYMC
EVMS
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
Tulane
USC/Keck
Dartmouth
Seton Hall
MCW
Loyola
Emory
BU
Duke
Pitt
Hofstra
Tufts
Oakland-B
Western MI
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Nova MD
WashU OR NYU OR U Chicago OR JHU
Seeing Rush, Dartmouth and JHU (and all FL schools since I am state) in this kinda makes me happy cause this is kind of what I want but dont think I have the best of chances at getting. Still put them in my list though so well see.

Honest question though. If im not even in the 10 percentile rage GPA for some of those schools is it realistic?

Seeing Rush, Dartmouth and JHU (and all FL schools since I am state) in this kinda makes me happy cause this is kind of what I want but dont think I have the best of chances at getting. Still put them in my list though so well see.
That's why I was less than sanguine and suggest applying to only one of those four I listed. The first three are MCAT ******.