3.4cgpa, WAMC w/o postbac?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CherryPearl3

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I am currently trying to decide/get advice on what my chances would be if I applied w/o doing a postbac or if I should do one before applying. I know my gpa isn't that ideal....I didn't do to well during first half of college (for several reasons but a huge one was I was discouraged from medicine and pushed towards something I really did not like: engineering. I tried to give that a shot and convince myself I would do med school after undergrad but my heart really was not in that major and taking so many math/physics classes that I did not do well in really brought my gpa down). Since then I decided to pursue what I really love (changed my major to biology), got my act together, and was able to bring up my gpa from a 2.94 to what will most likely be a 3.46ish cgpa by graduation if I continue on this track. I would love to shoot for MD, but also know that DO is more realistic. My advisor said I should consider postbac since I am borderline but some of the programs are very expensive. I'm open to it but wanted to know if I have a chance/what my chances are w/o it before spending so much money on them....any advice would be appreciated @Goro @LizzyM @Faha @Magus5454
Stats-
Strong upward trend,
went from getting around 2.5gpa each semester (total 2.94 for first half) to getting 3.9-4.0 gpa each semester last 2 years in upper division bio classes.
-CA resident, attending a Cal State university. Not URM, but not sure if ORM? (Middle Eastern)
-MCAT not taken yet
ECs-
-Research- In a cancer research lab (1.5 years by graduation. 15-20 hrs/week during school and 30hrs/week during summer).
-Chart review for two physicians (80 hours) on their surgical method for breast cancer lumpectomies.
-Volunteered at major hospital in LA area, about 500 hours.
-About 40 hrs physician shadowing completed (will aim for 100hrs).
-No non-clinical volunteering yet (will work on that after graduation).
-Tutor job at university scheduled for this year as well.
Thank you again everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

You should receive DO interviews as long as your MCAT is at least 500. When are you taking the MCAT and when are you planning to apply ?

Members don't see this ad :)
@Faha I am planning on taking it 4-6 months after graduation (so around October-December 2019) and applying in 2020. Do you think a postbac would increase my chances for MD? Or would I only be competitive for DO with these stats as of now? Thank you again for the advice!

A post bacc would help your chances for MD schools especially if you increase your cGPA and sGPA to 3.5 .

Reactions: 1 user
Get some nonclinical volunteering at something like Habitat for Humanity. With two straight years of 3.8+ and a 513+ MCAT you might not need that postbacc for your state schools and low tier MD schools. A 515+ could open up midtiers like Dartmouth, and a 520+ might give you a puncher's chance - but not much more - at schools like WashU and Columbia.

Reactions: 1 user