3.60/507/NJ - WAMC/School List help? Reapplicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chemicallycozy

Reaction score
I'm a reapplicant this cycle, sitting pretty on 2 WL's (one for an MSTP at a T30, I'm in the top portion of their WL, and one for a regular MD school, have no clue where I'm ranked as they didn't specify). I applied 90% MD/PhD last cycle and I was complete at around 9/5/20-9/10/20. My plan is to shift to a more 70/30 MD/MD-PhD ratio because my stats aren't competitive and apply literally the first day.

Since last app cycle I've gotten a new full-time RA job, a few authorships on abstracts/posters at conferences, worked with my PI to get a first-author review out, and have just landed a clinical volunteer position at a covid vaccination site (probably will have 30 hours by the time I apply but I already have solid stories that I could articulate on the primary, will be putting my current and projected hours).

State/Country of Residence: NJ
Ties to other States/Regions: NYC - family works/lives/breathes there, go there a lot for protests, marches, fam functions, and church // Boston - family lives there, I go often
URM? (Y/N): No
Year in School: Graduated 2020
Undergraduate Major(s)/Minor(s): Psychology and Chemistry
Graduate Degrees (if applicable): BA
Cumulative GPA: 3.60
Science GPA: 3.60
MCAT Score(s): lol 510/504/507 (long story but this is what I got, my biggest L is retaking that **** the first time and listening to my premed advisor.. not planning on retaking so please don't tell me to)
Research Experience: Heavy, at least 3000 hours by now. One third author pub (my thesis) in a decent journal (2019) and just published a 1st author review in another decent journal with my PI. Senior thesis w/ defense in undergrad. Was lab manager for my last three semesters and managed a 20 person lab. Heavy neuroscience/biochem emphasis. Lots of posters (just got put on two that my PI will present at conferences hosted by NIDA), most of my presentations were in undergrad either at school or at 1/2 big conferences (EPA, CNS).
Clinical Experience (paid or volunteer): 200 volunteer hours from undergrad as a patient advocate at local hospital, just started volunteering at a covid vaccination site which will add 450 by this time next year (currently at 30 by the time I apply).
Physician Shadowing: 80 hours with a neurologist
Non-Clinical Volunteering: 160 hours with my service fraternity, included many leadership positions organizing outings and events for homeless youth in Trenton NJ.
Other Extracurricular Activities: I was public health chair for a cultural org (100 hours) where I created multilingual health pamphlets for LGBT+ youth back in my parents country (I was born in the states but am first-gen, healthcare is very sparse back where my parents are from so everything was focused on finding honest and open doctors for low-cost or free). I weightlift and fence for funsies and love photography.
Other Employment History: Was doing part-time gigs over at the art department at my school during undergrad in the photo dept, renting out cameras and helping profs set up dark rooms. Now I'm currently employed as a research assistant at my state's medical school and will be getting an LOR from my PI who's MD/PhD as well (yes I was rejected by them this cycle, honest to god I don't think they even got to my app rip)
Immediate family members in medicine? (Y/N): Nope, first-gen college grad as well
Specialty of Interest (if applicable): Neurology as of right now
Interest in Primary Care (Y/N): N
Interest in Rural Health (Y/N): N
Medical School List: help a girl out. So far I have most of the tristate down (NJ/NY/PA)

Members don't see this ad.

I suggest these schools with your stats:
Your 3 NJ state public schools
Seton Hall
New York Medical College
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Drexel
temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Commonwealth Geisinger
George Washington
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Wake Forest
NOVA MD
Tulane
TCU-UNT
Creighton
St. Louis
Loyola
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
As a reapplicant you should also apply to DO schools and consider these:
RowanSOM
Touro-NY
NYITCOM
LECOM (all schools)
PCOM
MU-COM
DMU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
AZCOM

Reactions: 1 user
I suggest these schools with your stats:
Your 3 NJ state public schools
Seton Hall
New York Medical College
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Drexel
temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Commonwealth Geisinger
George Washington
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Wake Forest
NOVA MD
Tulane
TCU-UNT
Creighton
St. Louis
Loyola
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
As a reapplicant you should also apply to DO schools and consider these:
RowanSOM
Touro-NY
NYITCOM
LECOM (all schools)
PCOM
MU-COM
DMU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
AZCOM
Would it be a red flag to apply MD only to a school I got interviewed at for MSTP? I’m thinking of reapplying MD only because it might be “less competitive” vs the MSTP as my mcat and gpa aren’t high.