3.6s GPA 3.75c GPA - 505 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Umyo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You'll be competitive at almost any DO school.

I think Texas Tech(both), Texas AM, Houston and maybe San Antonio(don't have MSAR in front of me and the 10th percentile MCAT stats to look at) are worth a shot for MD. I know there is a new program opening up soon in Texas also, that's worth an application as well.

You're in a very good state for MD. I think you should definitely apply to all your IS Texas schools and some lower-tier OOS MD programs(Drexel, NYMC, TCMC, etc). You're golden for DO school though. Do you have a DO letter?

Members don't see this ad :)
Texas is a good state for residents. Apply to all the Texas schools including the new ones at Dell and Rio Grande. There will also be a new MD school at TCU-UNTHSC which may open for 2017. You are competitive for any DO school so apply to several.

You'll be competitive at almost any DO school.

I think Texas Tech(both), Texas AM, Houston and maybe San Antonio(don't have MSAR in front of me and the 10th percentile MCAT stats to look at) are worth a shot for MD. I know there is a new program opening up soon in Texas also, that's worth an application as well.

You're in a very good state for MD. I think you should definitely apply to all your IS Texas schools and some lower-tier OOS MD programs(Drexel, NYMC, TCMC, etc). You're golden for DO school though. Do you have a DO letter?

Texas is a good state for residents. Apply to all the Texas schools including the new ones at Dell and Rio Grande. There will also be a new MD school at TCU-UNTHSC which may open for 2017. You are competitive for any DO school so apply to several.

Thank you for the encouraging replies! Much appreciated :) I will definitely take the advice and apply to several DO's and to all medical schools in Texas. Do you guys think I have a realistic shot at MD?

Thank you for the encouraging replies! Much appreciated :) I will definitely take the advice and apply to several DO's and to all medical schools in Texas. Do you guys think I have a realistic shot at MD?

Your MCAT is low but you already know that. Even despite that, I still think it's worth an app cycle at those few Texas schools though to find out. Hard to say much more than that.

Your MCAT is low but you already know that. Even despite that, I still think it's worth an app cycle at those few Texas schools though to find out. Hard to say much more than that.
I plan on retaking in January and hope to get a 509-510, will that significantly improve my shot at MD in Texas?

Thank you again! Sorry for the pestering question my good friend.

I plan on retaking in January and hope to get a 509-510, will that significantly improve my shot at MD in Texas?

Thank you again! Sorry for the pestering question my good friend.
A score increase of 2-3 or so isn't going to help much when its a retake. For DO, shadow one and get a letter of rec to increase chances.

Why don't you try getting a letter from one of the doctors you shadowed? Three is the bare minimum for most schools but I would suggest at least four and you shadowed them for a length so they would most certainly have something to write about you.

Last edited:
Woops. Sorry, made this thread in a rush! Thank you for pointing that out :)

I have 4 letters of rec. 3 very strong ones and 1 average one.

2 from professors that have known me for 3 years.
1 from a doctor that I have shadowed for 3 years.
1 from my research lab.
A lot of schools require 3 LoR from professors. Usually 2 from science professors, and 1 from non-science professor. Just something to look out for when you are applying.

A lot of schools require 3 LoR from professors. Usually 2 from science professors, and 1 from non-science professor. Just something to look out for when you are applying.

I've never heard "2 science, 1 non-science" being required, only suggested. I've also never seen them say they require 3 from professors, they just suggest where you get it from, at least the ones I've been eyeing do not specifically say "you need 2 science and 1 non-science professor".

I've never heard "2 science, 1 non-science" being required, only suggested. I've also never seen them say they require 3 from professors, they just suggest where you get it from, at least the ones I've been eyeing do not specifically say "you need 2 science and 1 non-science professor".

I feel like the "2 science, 1 non-science" thing is just the bare minimum for LORs.Ultimately, your goal is to show that you are well rounded, and LORs from a variety of different professors will help to show this. Many schools allow a maximum of 5 or 6 letters. Physician letters are good, but they aren't as helpful, so don't go crazy trying to get those at the last minute. Being that you shadowed that physician for 3 years, it probably holds more merit, but usually physicians that you shadowed can't really speak to your work ethic as well as professors can.