3.9 cGPA, low MCAT, non-traditional - Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

dani.cardio

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey Everyone,

This is my first time posting on here, so please bear with me. I recently graduated (June 2016) from a 5-year BSc program that includes co-op (i.e. every year after first year we work at places related to our field for 4-8 months; I worked as a clinical research assistant at 3 research/innovation intensive hospitals and one university). My cGPA is a 3.89, with an upward trend (final year was 3.9). During my undergrad I was president of a club that organizes medical brigade/volunteer trips (4 years) & I coach soccer throughout the year. I started a graduate program (MSc.) this September and by the end I should have at least 4 publications and hopefully authorship on a validated clinical tool.

I wrote my MCAT for the first time in September. Unfortunately I got a 504. I'm Canadian so I know haven't made the cut off for most medical schools. I'm wondering what my chances are for US medical schools (MD preferred)? Or should I just re-write the MCAT and hope for the best?

Any advice is appreciated, thanks!