3rd year SLOE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mega_colon

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
MS3 here who is applying to EM next year.

My school doesn't start our 4th year until mid July and there are currently 25+ in my class planning on EM so there isn't enough time for all of us to do 4th year subis before applications are due.

Are there major downsides to getting a SLOE from a 3rd year EM clerkship assuming you feel reasonably well prepared (honors on IM/surgery have done several of the ICUs)?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
MS3 here who is applying to EM next year.

My school doesn't start our 4th year until mid July and there are currently 25+ in my class planning on EM so there isn't enough time for all of us to do 4th year subis before applications are due.

Are there major downsides to getting a SLOE from a 3rd year clerkship assuming you feel reasonably well prepared (honors on IM/surgery have done several of the ICUs)?
A SLOE by definition comes from an EM rotation. If done by another rotation, it's just treated as another letter and won't really hold any weight. You can try and do an away in the first part and then do your home AI, with a more realistic goal of having your sloe in by the time deans letters come out in October.

If you're talking about doing an EM rotation during 3rd year, make sure it's later in the year but I did that (couldn't do an away) and did well and got a letter (non sloe due to school regulations on how many sloes can come from our department ). I've had pretty solid luck this season so I think it's doable. I'd still do the AI early as you can and do well but it takes a little time stress off to at least have one EM rotation under your belt

PS how gigantic is your class to have 25 people doing EM? We have 150 and have 10 people doing it. Sheesh.

A SLOE by definition comes from an EM rotation. If done by another rotation, it's just treated as another letter and won't really hold any weight. You can try and do an away in the first part and then do your home AI, with a more realistic goal of having your sloe in by the time deans letters come out in October.

If you're talking about doing an EM rotation during 3rd year, make sure it's later in the year but I did that (couldn't do an away) and did well and got a letter (non sloe due to school regulations on how many sloes can come from our department ). I've had pretty solid luck this season so I think it's doable. I'd still do the AI early as you can and do well but it takes a little time stress off to at least have one EM rotation under your belt

PS how gigantic is your class to have 25 people doing EM? We have 150 and have 10 people doing it. Sheesh.

Sorry I should have clarified that it's a 4week EM clerkship and our class is pretty big.

Talk to your dean or dean's office secretary. At my school there we students who were allowed to "split" the last rotation of 3rd year. They did half the clerkship and then a 4 week EM rotation in 3rd year and finished the 2nd half of the other clerkship in 4th year