4.0 gpa 494 mcat With medical experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Alex1991

Reaction score
hi guys, this is my first post here. I recently took the mcat on 7/7/18 and did poorly (495, 125/122/125/123).
Here are a little about my self.
I immigrate to the States w my family when i was 17 years old. I speak fluent vietnamese and english.
My current gpa is 3.98 and sgpa is 4.0 (so far). I still have 2 semesters before i get my bachelor but i want to get mcat out of the way while orgo and biochem are still fresh.
I currently hold 1 AA (general ed) and 1 AS (radiology) both from public college. Ive been doing xray full time for the past 6 years (currently 27 years old). Working as an xray tech in a hospital is what motivates me to become a doctor because i didnt have any desire initially.
My xray experience spans from working at many settings (doctor office, hospitals, orthopedic center,...since i used to work 2 jobs before i went back to school).
Im not trying to make any excuses for my poor score on the mcat but all those research/experiment questions really threw me off. I spent a good 2 months prep on the mcat while working a full time job (as an x-ray tech in a hospital) so it has been hard and an absolute nightmare. I currently have to support my family and my brother so to quit my job is not an option.
I have No research experience.
Im pretty sure i can get all the required LORs from teachers and doctors without problem since they all know me.
So my plan is to retake the mcat this september with a better approach since i spent all my time reviewing the material and not enough time practicing questions. I took aamc fl 3 and scored 496 which should have been a red flag for me to postpone the mcat but i still went ahead (biggest mistake).
Im posting this thread because i want to hear you guys responses if i should apply to DO school in the mean time while waiting to retake the mcat or it would just be a waste of money. Is it too late to wait for score of 2nd mcat to come back and apply this cycle or wait til next year’s cycle?
How much better my 2nd mcat score needs to be in order to be considered for md or do schools? (I live in florida)

Any input is appreciated.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Don't bother applying now now. Wait until you have your MCAT score.

Do NOT take the exam until you are consistently scoring well (> 505), even if it means skipping a cycle. Be extra careful with CARS

hi guys, this is my first post here. I recently took the mcat on 7/7/18 and did poorly (495, 125/122/125/123).
Here are a little about my self.
I immigrate to the States w my family when i was 17 years old. I speak fluent vietnamese and english.
My current gpa is 3.98 and sgpa is 4.0 (so far). I still have 2 semesters before i get my bachelor but i want to get mcat out of the way while orgo and biochem are still fresh.
I currently hold 1 AA (general ed) and 1 AS (radiology) both from public college. Ive been doing xray full time for the past 6 years (currently 27 years old). Working as an xray tech in a hospital is what motivates me to become a doctor because i didnt have any desire initially.
My xray experience spans from working at many settings (doctor office, hospitals, orthopedic center,...since i used to work 2 jobs before i went back to school).
Im not trying to make any excuses for my poor score on the mcat but all those research/experiment questions really threw me off. I spent a good 2 months prep on the mcat while working a full time job (as an x-ray tech in a hospital) so it has been hard and an absolute nightmare. I currently have to support my family and my brother so to quit my job is not an option.
I have No research experience.
Im pretty sure i can get all the required LORs from teachers and doctors without problem since they all know me.
So my plan is to retake the mcat this september with a better approach since i spent all my time reviewing the material and not enough time practicing questions. I took aamc fl 3 and scored 496 which should have been a red flag for me to postpone the mcat but i still went ahead (biggest mistake).
Im posting this thread because i want to hear you guys responses if i should apply to DO school in the mean time while waiting to retake the mcat or it would just be a waste of money. Is it too late to wait for score of 2nd mcat to come back and apply this cycle or wait til next year’s cycle?
How much better my 2nd mcat score needs to be in order to be considered for md or do schools? (I live in florida)

Any input is appreciated.
Thanks!
Goro knows best so listen to his posts above, but to add, try to spend as much time reading in english as you can. While you obviously have a great command of the language, some of the grammar in your post indicates language ability may still be holding you back on CARS and possibly some science passages as well. Read whatever interests you, but try to make it advanced level readings and of varied genres (science, philosophy, literature, etc.)