This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

resh58

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

I received my April 1st MCAT results back, and overall I am pleased with the results!

C/P: 123 (33%)
CARS: 128 (90%)
Bio: 124 (44%)
Psych 129 (92%)

Composite: 504 (67%)

I intend to apply for allopathic programs in the US after completing an MSc with the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine in Control of Infectious Diseases. The LSHTM is globally ranked with JH's school of public health and Harvard. What's more, I have a BS with a double major in Biochemistry and Philosophy with a 3.68 GPA and an extensive history of clinical experiences that includes scribing, mission work, multiple study-abroad experiences, and an extensive resumé of collegiate student leadership opportunities. The diverse undergrad and strong performance in CARS/Psych leaves me satisfied. With the MSc in hand, does anyone think I will have trouble getting into an allopathic program?

I understand that 67% isn't going to get me into top 20 schools. However, I would be satisfied with a many mid-range allopathic programs, and I strongly dislike the idea of retaking the exam given that I scored ahead of the curve by a considerable margin. Also, I would prefer to simply take the MCAT once and be done so that I can approach the applications process confident with my single attempt.

Best,

Resh

Members don't see this ad.

Hello Everyone!

I received my April 1st MCAT results back, and overall I am pleased with the results!

C/P: 123 (33%)
CARS: 128 (90%)
Bio: 124 (44%)
Psych 129 (92%)

Composite: 504 (67%)

I intend to apply for allopathic programs in the US after completing an MSc with the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine in Control of Infectious Diseases. The LSHTM is globally ranked with JH's school of public health and Harvard. What's more, I have a BS with a double major in Biochemistry and Philosophy with a 3.68 GPA and an extensive history of clinical experiences that includes scribing, mission work, multiple study-abroad experiences, and an extensive resumé of collegiate student leadership opportunities. The diverse undergrad and strong performance in CARS/Psych leaves me satisfied. With the MSc in hand, does anyone think I will have trouble getting into an allopathic program?

I understand that 67% isn't going to get me into top 20 schools. However, I would be satisfied with a many mid-range allopathic programs, and I strongly dislike the idea of retaking the exam given that I scored ahead of the curve by a considerable margin. Also, I would prefer to simply take the MCAT once and be done so that I can approach the applications process confident with my single attempt.

Best,

Resh

I know you said you don't want to retake the exam, but with the 33% and 44% in C/P and B/B respectively you might get auto screened out at some schools. My state school screens out for any subsection under 125. That being said, your CARS and Psych score are great, and I honestly think the two sections you scored below average on are probably the easiest to improve your score on. I totally understand not wanting to retake, but you likely need a 125+ to not be unnecessarily screened out.

Last edited:
Screens out a subsection under 125? That sounds rather absurd. I scored a 521 with only 126 on CARS. Is that sort of screening a common practice? I can't imagine anyone would screen out a 125+ score, otherwise they would be losing out on qualified candidates like myself.

I probably shouldn't have said a majority of schools I just assumed since the school here did. But yeah I know it seems pretty strict. I wonder if that was just their rule for last cycle since no one really knew how to interpret the scores yet. I know in the past they screened any score under a 7. At least that's what our college of science advisor said.

Members don't see this ad :)
A 504 MCAT with abysmal B/B and C/P scores wont get you into a MD program. Retake the MCAT or apply DO.

Reactions: 1 user
It makes sense to have an arbitrary cutoff point, but I'd put it below the 50th percentile. There are circumstances under which score fluctuations should be understandable... say for instance, a test taker needs to run to the bathroom during C/P to "relieve his nerves." :vomit:

On the other hand, it's probably better to weed out that sort of anxiety problem now than in open heart surgery 6 years down the road.
Well the cutoff was anything below 125, isn't 124 like 45 percentile? But yeah I agree haha better now than later.

Congratulations, your 200th post at SDN is the most negative thing I've heard all day! Try the following:

You might be able to get into an MD program, but it probably won't prepare you for where you want to go in your career. You would probably be better off retaking unless you're willing to adjust your aim to equally respectable DO programs.

Sorry, but I'm not one for sugar coating things. Besides, he stated he didn't want to take the MCAT again because he, " scored ahead of the curve by a considerable margin"....when in reality that is the only thing he needs to do! I just don't want to let this man head into certain defeat and waste thousands of dollars and time on applications only to be shot down.

Reactions: 4 users
I am sure you can get into an MD program somewhere but you will definitely need to apply broadly. I am a little curious as to how you got a 124 in B/BC as a biochem major.

I am sure you can get into an MD program somewhere but you will definitely need to apply broadly. I am a little curious as to how you got a 124 in B/BC as a biochem major.
Not sure I agree and it also probably wouldn't be worth the insane amount of money applying costs. His MCAT is below the 10th percentile at nearly every MD school according to MSAR. This is not me trying to be pessimistic but rather attempting to prevent OP from wasting money on an applications cycle.

With CARS the newest percentiles shows a 125 is a 62 percentile, a 124 is 49 percentile, and a 123 is 37 percentile. This needs to be considered. A 125 is not ~50 percentile, but a 62 percentile rank. Historically a 7 in VR was approximately 36-37 percentile.
When I hear talks about cutoffs, I hope they stay up to date with the current percentile rankings
I took the 7 in VR from 2013, which showed 36.4 percentile.
Current percentile rankings:
123 is 37 percentile
Today's CARS 123 slightly greater than 2013's 7 VR
The confidence bands

Last edited: