5 days before the exam=key to a 245+

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

basupran

ortho, study, cars, lift
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
There was a thread some time ago with a title along those lines. The writer of the guide detailed the 5 days before the exam, and how those 5 days should be approaced. Does anyone know where to find this thread? I can't seem to remember enough keywords.

Members don't see this ad.

bump

I"m trying to figure out my schedule right now too, and this is would be really helpful.

Don't remember the thread but one thought:

Keep in mind that 245 is well above getting an "honors" on Step1 (i.e. > mean + 1 std dev).

Not that you shouldn't shoot for the stars, but that for some people this score is not attainable no matter what the study regimen is.

I am NOT trying to be discouraging, just remembering how everyone on SDN seems to have a 3.9/38/248. It can be a bit troubling when you are preparing for Step1.

Good luck.

Here it is. I would like to preface by saying that I modified this schedule to my own strengths and weaknesses. After taking the test, I am not sure that these 5 days were as key for me as just being consistent in studying over the entire time. By the time I entered the last 5 days I felt confident.

Day 1 - review Biochemistry, Physiology sections of First-Aid (i.e deeply study these sections and all the notes you wrote in the margins).
Day 2 - review all small topics (i.e. Histology, Anatomy, Embryology, Neuroanatomy, Behavioral Sciences) and Pathology sections of First-Aid plus your notes
Day 3 - review Pharmacology and Micro + Immuno sections of First-Aid plus your notes.
Day 4 - review First-Aid sections/notes: Biochem, Physio, Path.
Day 5 (Last Day!!!) - Review First Aid sections/notes: Micro + Immuno, Pharm, and small subjects

Members don't see this ad :)
Keep in mind that 245 is well above getting an "honors" on Step1 (i.e. > mean + 1 std dev).
But most people forget that, unlike your med school class, there are people taking step 1 who aren't U.S. Allo students and don't score as well for whatever reason.

I think the most important thing is that you don't get off track. You get pretty fatigued by the second to last and last week but its really important that you're keeping yourself on task. For me this was bombarding myself with questions and reviewing relevant notes and chapters.

But most people forget that, unlike your med school class, there are people taking step 1 who aren't U.S. Allo students and don't score as well for whatever reason.

Yeah but they aren't the majority and almost every US med school ends up with a score right around th average...

Basurapan, when is your exam?

Sup buddy, I am taking her in a week. I have a feeling that for the first 4 blocks, she will be on top, and for the last three, she will get crafty and start using a prosthesis.

Thanks for the input. There was a really detailed thread some time back on how the last 5 days are key, assuming you worked hard during the last two years.

I am so f'ing burnt out.

Is this true? I would think that the top med schools would have a higher avg (1 SD?).
who cares.........its not the avg that matters, just whether you beat it or not..........also whether you beat it by a hair or a mile

good luck basupran :) rooting for you dude!

who cares.........its not the avg that matters, just whether you beat it or not..........also whether you beat it by a hair or a mile

good luck basupran :) rooting for you dude!

Thanks man, getting nervous! I am getting to that point where I just want to get it over with. Every new piece of info is pushing something else out. :mad:

Thanks man, getting nervous! I am getting to that point where I just want to get it over with. Every new piece of info is pushing something else out. :mad:
focus! u r almost done!! stick to ur schedule to the end and then you can get wasted :)

That would be around 240 and I can only think of one school that even claims to have a mean that high. It probably doesn't.

Not naming names, but our school's average last year was 238, and its been around 235 for the past few years

Anyway, back to the original post - I think the last two weeks are crucial. Everything before that, you really spend solidifying concepts, and annotating notes into FA. The last two weeks is when you really focus on FA and your notes, and bring it all together. Step this up on the last 5 days, and also be sure to pick up all the details that you just have to memorize (like for ID, biochem). You should be glued to FA, until your stomach churns (mine was by the last couple of days). It worked for me - and best of luck to you all!

Also, the Penn Method is based off maximizing the last five days - I think they even break it down too (as posted earlier)

Well, 1st day of 5 was today. I went 10 hours strong, and I barely finished 60 pages in FA. I didn't do any q's because I was so burnt out by the end. I need to push harder tomorrow. As soon as I took a break at 9pm to check email, it was over...10 mins turned into 4 hours. Stupid stupid stupid! woke up at 10 am, started studying at 11, went straight till 9 (maybe 1 hour total breaktime). Hopefully, tomorrow will be better.

Here is the post I was looking for:
Schedule (Last 5 days*) - where the men are made and the boys are broken

*WARNING: last 5 days are the absolute meat of getting the score. Everything you've done before this is just a warm-up. These days are approximately 12-14 hours of studying/day. Besides eating, sleeping and working-out, you are doing ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ELSE

BUT STUDYING.

· Day 1 - review Biochemistry, Physiology sections of First-Aid

(i.e. deeply study these sections and all the notes you wrote in the margins). This should take

approximately 5-6 hours. In the afternoon, do 150-200 questions/answers related to Biochem, and Physiology.

· Day 2 - review all small topics (i.e. Histology, Anatomy, Embryology, Neuroanatomy, Behavioral Sciences) and Pathology sections of First-Aid plus your notes. Do 150-200 questions related to these topics.

· Day 3 - review Pharmacology and Micro + Immuno sections of First-Aid plus your notes. Do 150-200 questions related to these topics.

· Day 4 - review First-Aid sections/notes: Biochem, Physio, Path. Do 1 practice test from Appleton and Lange. Do more questions related to these topics.

· Day 5 (Last Day!!!) - Review First Aid sections/notes: Micro + Immuno, Pharm, and small subjects. Do second test from Appleton and Lange. Do more questions related to these topics.