MD 503 MCAT 3.79 GPA Athlete

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rayquaza25

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, Im new to SDN. I recently received my MCAT scores and got a 503 :/ not what I wanted but I plan to continue this cycle of applications. I am a student athlete, founding president of the largest honor society at my college, phlebotomy licensed GPA is 3.8 California Resident. I would appreciate anyone with some experience in a situation similar to mine to offer some advice on MD schools that I should include in my application. I have already constructed a list of DO schools but I also want to make sure to include a good number of MD schools. Anything helps!

Members don't see this ad.

Apply broadly to DO schools. You could try these MD schools with your stats:
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Oakland Beaumont
Rosalind Franklin
NOVA MD
California University (new school)
any new schools that open for 2019 (Kaiser, Roseman, Seton Hall)

I suggest:
Loma Linda (only if you are SDA or a very devout Christian)
Loyola
VCU
Oakland U Beaumont
WVU
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Your state school(s).
Any DO school. I can't recommend Touro-NY, Nova or LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM is suspect given the details of the Larry Nassar case.

Members don't see this ad :)
I suggest:
Loma Linda (only if you are SDA or a very devout Christian)
Loyola
VCU
Oakland U Beaumont
WVU
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Your state school(s).
Any DO school. I can't recommend Touro-NY, Nova or LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM is suspect given the details of the Larry Nassar case.
Just for my own knowledge and definitely not to discourage OP at all as I think in my opinion he'll probably land an acceptance somewhere, but MD programs are still in the running for applicants with a 503 MCAT? I always thought general consensus was at least a 508 for MD (stats alone), but maybe I am completely wrong as you and @Faha are recommending MD. I would love to know your professional opinion on this considering your experience in this realm

Just for my own knowledge and definitely not to discourage OP at all as I think in my opinion he'll probably land an acceptance somewhere, but MD programs are still in the running for applicants with a 503 MCAT? I always thought general consensus was at least a 508 for MD (stats alone), but maybe I am completely wrong as you and @Faha are recommending MD. I would love to know your professional opinion on this considering your experience in this realm
Normally a 503 is circling the drain for MD schools. This is where MSAR is so useful. You can see which schools have a 503 as their 10th %ile. That's how I make my list.

But in the OP's case, never underestimate the love for athlete-scholars that Admissions deans have.

Reactions: 4 users
z
Normally a 503 is circling the drain for MD schools. This is where MSAR is so useful. You can see which schools have a 503 as their 10th %ile. That's how I make my list.

But in the OP's case, never underestimate the love for athlete-scholars that Admissions deans have.
Thanks a lot! Makes sense

I can’t thank you or anyone else on here enough. With that is there any other medical schools you think I should apply to not listed? An MD school would be awesome for me to get into but any school would be awesome

Are you a URM? Not sure how you feel about affirmative action but its real and if it applies to you, you have a good shot at some MD's if you emphasize serving the underserved with great ECs to back it up. But as everyone else said, apply broadly to DOs as well. I agree with @Goro and @Faha school list. Add Temple and GW if you in fact have a strong emphasis on community service and are a URM. If you aren't a URM, I continue to emphasize applying broadly to DO

I know there is a bunch of threads on how much athletics do or don't matter in a medical school app, but from your personal opinion for an individual such as myself (non-URM and CA resident) w/ 3.62 gpa & 505 MCAT as well as being a 4 year member and 2 year captain of my College's Varsity basketball team and Student-Athlete of the Year my senior year, what kind of supplement is that to my app? I do have solid amount of non-med volunteer, a few hundred hours of clinical volunteer, and 2 poster presentations too. Im just concerned my stats are too low to get in to MD programs. Sorry for all the questions just very curious as the next app cycle is coming up quickly!

I know there is a bunch of threads on how much athletics do or don't matter in a medical school app, but from your personal opinion for an individual such as myself (non-URM and CA resident) w/ 3.62 gpa & 505 MCAT as well as being a 4 year member and 2 year captain of my College's Varsity basketball team and Student-Athlete of the Year my senior year, what kind of supplement is that to my app? I do have solid amount of non-med volunteer, a few hundred hours of clinical volunteer, and 2 poster presentations too. Im just concerned my stats are too low to get in to MD programs. Sorry for all the questions just very curious as the next app cycle is coming up quickly!
It helps.