512 Overall Low Cars

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Peacock410

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've received my scores and I am excited that I got a 512 overall BUT the section breakdown was 128/124/130/130 (low CARS).

I've gotten mixed reviews on whether to retake and my advisor thinks I should take it again in April but I honestly am unsure if I could pull off such high scores in the other three sections again, and whether it would be worth it.

What do I do?

PS: GPA 3.76, sGPA roughly the same, have a lot of clinical/volunteer hours and taking a gap year (currently a senior)

Members don't see this ad.

So I've received my scores and I am excited that I got a 512 overall BUT the section breakdown was 128/124/130/130 (low CARS).

I've gotten mixed reviews on whether to retake and my advisor thinks I should take it again in April but I honestly am unsure if I could pull off such high scores in the other three sections again, and whether it would be worth it.

What do I do?

PS: GPA 3.76, sGPA roughly the same, have a lot of clinical/volunteer hours and taking a gap year (currently a senior)
I don't think you should worry about it. Overall, your score is great and I would be surprised if this particular part of your application (CARS score) would be detrimental to it. So I would advise against retaking, especially with your high biochem/psych and chem!

Some schools will autoscreen out a score of 124 in CARS... check your schools’ websites for that info. If a bunch of schools that you really want to go to require >124 in all subsections, retake. If it’s only one or two schools, it’s up to you

From what i’ve seen the schools i’m looking at aren’t screening. I’m more concerned whether one low section score would be enough to nullify strong c/p, b/bc and p/s scores and a competitive GPA.

Thank you for your response!

what schools are you looking at? almost all schools screen. the problem is that your lowest section is CARS, which actually looks the worst to be the lowest in. I don't know anything about you or your situation but adcoms might assume english is not your first language and won't look kindly on it.
I meant screening where a 124 would be the cut off (I’ve seen schools where 123 was when scores were considered non-competitive). That being said I understand my CARS is low. I guess what I’m looking for is advice on whether it is worth retaking to risk my other sections falling and perhaps only gaining a point or two in CARS.