MD 514, 3.36 from UVA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

uvapremed

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I just took my MCAT in July and got a 514 - 128 chem/phys, 126 cars, 130 bio, 130 psych. I have a 3.36 overall GPA from UVA but it shows a marked incline (got a 3.8 the last semester). Very involved with research (clinical and lab) and scribing. I think I will have good LORs as well.

When taking the July MCAT, my original plan was to apply to schools once I got my scores back in August/September. Since getting my scores back I have decided it is better to wait and take a second gap year and apply this June instead. My current gap year is at UVA, but I am thinking I will take my second gap year somewhere else where I have decent chances at their med school in order to gain more experience and show my interest there. If I were to go early enough, I could possibly get in-state advantage there since I am a VA resident now.

I am wondering if anyone has recommendations for schools given my GPA, experience, and residential status. I'm thinking Tulane, SUNY, Wisconsin, EVMS, VCU, Cleveland Clinic, Penn State, Alabama, UMD, USC, Washington, UNC, but am open to pretty much anywhere. I know my GPA is a limiting factor but hoping my MCAT helps.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It would help if you could take some additional undergraduate courses at a local college in order to increase your GPA to over 3.4 before you apply. With a GPA over 3.4 and your MCAT you could receive interviews at these schools:
Eastern Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth
Virginia Tech
West Virginia
Tulane
Creighton
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
GW
Georgetown
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Hofstra
New York Medical College
Vermont
Quinnipiac
any new schools that may open for 2019 (Seton Hall, NOVA MD, Roseman, Kaiser)
Other than West Virginia and Vermont you are not competitive for any OOS public schools. Apply to several DO schools also.