522 MCAT/Low GPA: Am I too far down the hole?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
I graduated recently with a Bio degree in TX. I'll spare everyone the sob story and details--other than stats.

cGPA: 2.6
sGPA: 2.4
MCAT: 522 (took it May)
ECs: 1 publication, plenty of shadowing and clinical volunteer hours.

Most of my pre-reqs were Cs, (F in orgo1, retook for a C, D in Bio2, retook for a C) My upper level courses (Cell bio/microbio/Ecophysiology) were all A or B classes. I basically scraped by bare-minimum my first two years before buckling down my last 3 semesters.

I am not planning on applying this cycle. I'm just looking for advice on bringing my GPA up to a competitive level.
I need 50 credits to gain a 3.0 sGPA.
Should I retake my prereqs at a CC/4yr institution? Take upper-level science classes at a 4yr university? 1 year Postbacc? 2 year SMP?

I know it may be a few years, but I'm not the same student I was in 2015. I'm hoping my MCAT score is evident of this statement. I would really like to stay in TX.

I was directed here from reddit and told to flag @Goro @LizzyM @gyngyn for advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You should check out Goro's guide for reinvention

Reactions: 7 users
You should check out Goro's guide for reinvention
Thank you for your response! A quick google search led me right to it. Lots of useful information there. A huge flag for me though- say I do an official post-bacc or SMP (both of which are backdoors), and manage a 3.8+, my GPA still wouldn't be anywhere near a 3.0.

I'm thinking DIY-->Post-bacc-->SMP-->Win; but I'd still like answers from a community more enriched in this area than I am.

Members don't see this ad :)
What a great MCAT and lousy GPA tells me is "really smart but..."

But what?

Immature? Lazy? A self-sabotaging screw up? Unmotivated? Druggie? Chronic obstacles to success? (ex. family problems) Mental health issues?

Your job as an applicant is to answer the "but what?" question and convince the admissions committee that whatever it was that tanked your undergrad GPA, that it is no longer a problem and that you will be able to perform consistently at the high level your MCAT suggests you're capable of.

Reactions: 3 users
I graduated recently with a Bio degree in TX. I'll spare everyone the sob story and details--other than stats.

cGPA: 2.6
sGPA: 2.4
MCAT: 522 (took it May)
ECs: 1 publication, plenty of shadowing and clinical volunteer hours.

Most of my pre-reqs were Cs, (F in orgo1, retook for a C, D in Bio2, retook for a C) My upper level courses (Cell bio/microbio/Ecophysiology) were all A or B classes. I basically scraped by bare-minimum my first two years before buckling down my last 3 semesters.

I am not planning on applying this cycle. I'm just looking for advice on bringing my GPA up to a competitive level.
I need 50 credits to gain a 3.0 sGPA.
Should I retake my prereqs at a CC/4yr institution? Take upper-level science classes at a 4yr university? 1 year Postbacc? 2 year SMP?

I know it may be a few years, but I'm not the same student I was in 2015. I'm hoping my MCAT score is evident of this statement. I would really like to stay in TX.

I was directed here from reddit and told to flag @Goro @LizzyM @gyngyn for advice.
Consider the post-bac program at UNTHSC. If successful in this program you have a very good chance at a Texas med school.
https://www.unthsc.edu/graduate-sch...ly-the-post-baccalaureate-premedical-program/

Reactions: 2 users
Your job as an applicant is to answer the "but what?" question and convince the admissions committee that whatever it was that tanked your undergrad GPA, that it is no longer a problem and that you will be able to perform consistently at the high level your MCAT suggests you're capable of.

@DokterMom Tough, but hard truth. This is the perfect mindset to establish from here on out. Thank you for this and your time.

Thank you for your response! A quick google search led me right to it. Lots of useful information there. A huge flag for me though- say I do an official post-bacc or SMP (both of which are backdoors), and manage a 3.8+, my GPA still wouldn't be anywhere near a 3.0.

I'm thinking DIY-->Post-bacc-->SMP-->Win; but I'd still like answers from a community more enriched in this area than I am.
Reread my post, especially about the "Not about your cGPA anymore" part.

Last edited: