6 failed classes - MD Chance?????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GabGonEvs

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay I know 6 is a lot but please read.

I started a degree online back in 2013 and hated it. I pretty much neglected it because my parents borderline forced me (as I had a good job in a small town without a Uni). It was in HR and after i just didn't bother with the first semester but said I would give it a second go - same outcome. Not one ounce of me took it seriously nor thought about long term outcome.

ANYWAYS, since then i've been doing my psychology degree, full course load and in class (I relocated). I have a 3.8 GPA and have been volunteering for 3 years now. I've submerged myself in the "premed" lifestyle and course load, EC's, etc. Until the other day I realized that my online FAIL is now haunting me.

So my question is. Has anyone ever omitted transcripts from their application and if I submit them will they even CONSIDER having me in for an interview? My cumulative GPA with 9 fails seems like something I can't make a come back from.

Please don't judge I'm in a pretty deep mental rut about this already.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
what's your cumulative counting the fails? how many of them were BCPM?

You are not allowed to omit transcripts from your application, and you will be caught (be it during the application process, or during M#), which would result in either an AMCAS ban, or expulsion. I cannot give further advise, except for to not do that.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You are not allowed to omit transcripts from your application, and you will be caught (be it during the application process, or during M#), which would result in either an AMCAS ban, or expulsion. I cannot give further advise, except for to not do that.
Plus it's kinda dishonest and if they got away with it, unfair to people who don't hide those things lol

6 fails is a lot. Without grade replacement anymore, most likely too many. Without knowing your GPA with the fails its hard to advise.

Omitting transcripts is very, as you would be breaching a signed legal document. This can follow you well after your medical school admission.

Say you get into a medical school, graduate, and start residency. Maybe someone from that online degree wants to write about you as a success story for their program, mentioning the failed classes. Maybe your PD sees that, maybe he knows someone on your med school admissions commitee, and maybe word gets back to AMCAS (we let someone in with 6 failures?). You could have your M.D revoked, out 300k and 4 years of your life. They take honesty very seriously.

Do not omit the transcripts. If you get caught, your chances at MD are gone. So please don't do that. Count the six fails. It also shows that you have an upwards trend. 3.80 with fails, would be maybe a 3.5? How many credits? What were the courses? You can explain that on your application and they'll still see that the you of now is not the you of then.

Reactions: 1 user
Do not omit the transcripts. If you get caught, your chances at MD are gone. So please don't do that. Count the six fails. It also shows that you have an upwards trend. 3.80 with fails, would be maybe a 3.5? How many credits? What were the courses? You can explain that on your application and they'll still see that the you of now is not the you of then.
My GPA for HR (those 6 fails) were 0.00

None of them were BCPM and my GPA from from HR is 0.00 I literally didnt touch it.
Combine your HR credits, your 3.8 GPA credits, and calculate a new GPA; this is what you will report to AMCAS.

Reactions: 1 users
None of them were BCPM and my GPA from from HR is 0.00 I literally didnt touch it.
That's very good. You likely have a solid 3.65+ sGPA paired with your cGPA then

Members don't see this ad :)
I just don't think a Canadian school will even give me the time of day
You could probably apply USDO then. Do a search on the subject of the Caribbean here, there are many threads explaining why it's a bad idea lol

Plus it's kinda dishonest and if they got away with it, unfair to people who don't hide those things lol

You don't even have to worry about the morality, you wouldn't get away with it. Adcoms have access to an SSN linked registry of all schools you have ever attended.

You could probably apply USDO then. Do a search on the subject of the Caribbean here, there are many threads explaining why it's a bad idea lol
So is Canadian MD even a realistic goal anymore?

So is Canadian MD even a realistic goal anymore?

Figure out your total GPA including the fails and get back to us. How did you do your final year of school?

Edit: addition. In original post you say 6 fails from online, then, later on, say 9 fails. Was that a typo or did you fail 3 more classes in pursuit of your psych degree?

Figure out your total GPA including the fails and get back to us. How did you do your final year of school?
if each failed class was worth 3 credit and I got a 0 in all of them how do I incorporate that into my current GPA?

An MCAT would also be helpful @GabGonEvs
Im ready to start studying for it but since realizing my failed classes are going to be seen Im honestly wondering if I need the reality check to not pursue medicine. I doubt Caribbean will even consider such a huge black mark on my application.

if each failed class was worth 3 credit and I got a 0 in all of them how do I incorporate that into my current GPA?

Recalc your whole GPA: (#credits)(grade as a numerical score) then divide by total credits.

In original post you say 6 fails from online, then, later on, say 9 fails. Was that a typo or did you fail 3 more classes in pursuit of your psych degree?

Recalc your whole GPA: (#credits)(grade as a numerical score) then divide by total credits.

In original post you say 6 fails from online, then, later on, say 9 fails. Was that a typo or did you fail 3 more classes in pursuit of your psych degree?
Sorry, yeah 6 fails. 9 was a typo. Nothing failed in psych

Im ready to start studying for it but since realizing my failed classes are going to be seen Im honestly wondering if I need the reality check to not pursue medicine. I doubt Caribbean will even consider such a huge black mark on my application.
Honestly it really depends on what your cGPA comes out to, which we've been encouraging you to provide lol. But even if it's too low, you could do a post-bacc or SMP

Honestly it really depends on what your cGPA comes out to, which we've been encouraging you to provide lol. But even if it's too low, you could do a post-bacc or SMP
cGPA 3.66 - even though its "ok" those fails are such a huge red flag for literally any school

cGPA 3.66 - even though its "ok" those fails are such a huge red flag for literally any school
Well they weren't in prereqs (except maybe English??) and your overall is fine. They were early on in college right? You could probably provide an explanation too.

A 3.66 is alright for USMD and great for USDO.

I dunno what schools are canadian friendly tho, and you still need an mcat

Not
Well they weren't in prereqs (except maybe English??) and your overall is fine. They were early on in college right? You could probably provide an explanation too.

en

Not English either. Yeah I was 17 do you know how this will compare for Canadian schools?

Not

en

Not English either. Yeah I was 17 do you know how this will compare for Canadian schools?
I dunno maybe Canadians on this forum may be more helpful. All I know is that Canadian schools love their CARS on the MCAT

How many hours are in the 3.8? I’m can’t believe you only went down slightly when you factored in all of those Fs.

Yeah I thought the same thing. So I just got home and it’s actually 3.32

Your best bet will be US schools that reward reinvention and take a decent number of Canadian/international applicants.

Okay I know 6 is a lot but please read.

I started a degree online back in 2013 and hated it. I pretty much neglected it because my parents borderline forced me (as I had a good job in a small town without a Uni). It was in HR and after i just didn't bother with the first semester but said I would give it a second go - same outcome. Not one ounce of me took it seriously nor thought about long term outcome.

ANYWAYS, since then i've been doing my psychology degree, full course load and in class (I relocated). I have a 3.8 GPA and have been volunteering for 3 years now. I've submerged myself in the "premed" lifestyle and course load, EC's, etc. Until the other day I realized that my online FAIL is now haunting me.

So my question is. Has anyone ever omitted transcripts from their application and if I submit them will they even CONSIDER having me in for an interview? My cumulative GPA with 9 fails seems like something I can't make a come back from.

Please don't judge I'm in a pretty deep mental rut about this already.
I had a STRIKINGLY SIMILAR situation when I applied: seven Fs/WFs and five Ws because I essentially signed up for classes to please my parents and never attended. I went back to undergrad and started fresh 2 years later, earning straight As and then a 99%ile on the (old) MCAT. I was accepted to medical school (two acceptances), but I had a very low number of interviews compared to what a “typical” applicant with my stats—excluding the Fs—would have. I may suggest applying DO and MD...if you have a very strong app and a great life story, a couple MD schools might love to give you a chance. This was my experience.

Didn’t realize until the summer when I submitted my AMCAS app that I needed to send in those transcripts as well, and I thought my life was over. Now I’m half way through my second year at a great med school and absolutely loving it. Definitely go for it.

I just don't think a Canadian school will even give me the time of day

Canadian here.
You still have a shot at some Canadian schools. Some Canadian schools have a wGPA which means weighted GPA. A lot of schools in Ontario will not look at you cGPA (cummulative 3.32) if you exceed their thresholds for the wGPA. Each school has a different threshold which you should research. Some of the schools like Queens and Western only take your best or most recent two years of full-time studies into consideration. This means that with a strong GPA in full-time studies for at least 2 or 3 years, you still have a shot despite failing those classes. Also consider applying USDO if you meet the necessary science pre-reqs. Are you a Canadian or US citizen or both? Which province do you reside in/come from? Because being in-province for certain Canadian medical schools is also a factor into the GPA threshold you must meet.

With 6 F’s and assuming each F is worth 3 credits, I don’t see how your overall GPA can be 3.66 after averaging your current 3.8 GPA with those 6 F’s. You may not have calculated it correctly. Seems like it would be between a 2.0 and 3.0 depending on how many credits make up your 3.8 gpa.

Edit - Just saw that it’s 3.32.