This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

minminzee

MCAT: 507 GPA: 3.7 LizzyM: 66 WARS: 68
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone!!

I'm looking for a 6 month MCAT study plan using TPR and AAMC materials mainly. I plan on taking the MCAT in May and I'm going to start studying in November, giving me six months.

If anyone has a plan they would like to share I would really appreciate it. Any tips will help too!

How many hours a week should I be studying on average? Is there something I should really focus on? When should I take practice tests?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Everyone!!

I'm looking for a 6 month MCAT study plan using TPR and AAMC materials mainly. I plan on taking the MCAT in May and I'm going to start studying in November, giving me six months.

If anyone has a plan they would like to share I would really appreciate it. Any tips will help too!

How many hours a week should I be studying on average? Is there something I should really focus on? When should I take practice tests?
I think it would work out better for you if you make up your own plan. For reference I'm breaking my study into 3 phases. During phase 1 I hit content hard. Phase 2 I'm doing passage practice and 1 exam every two weeks. Phase 3 is all aamc material. At the end of every phase I have a target score I'm shooting for. If I'm below my goal I'll probably extend my study period. As of now I'm targeting spring 2018 with April or May as my likely testing date. I'll move it up or back depending on my fl scores. I hope this helps in some way.

Also there are some mcat study plans listed in this section and maybe you can use some of those to give you an idea of how you want to approach everything.

I echo the above. There are plenty of 3 month plans in the stickied Strategies thread for those with dedicated study periods.

If you use the search function, you will find many people who have already posted their experiences and strategies for extended, non-dedicated study periods.

Only you know the ins and outs of your schedule, so you alone can create the best extended schedule for your situation. Once you've made something more concrete, I'd be happy to help.

How many hours? Depends on the other demands of your time.
Focus? MCAT material. I don't know your strengths and weaknesses in terms of content and test taking strategies.
When to take practice tests? If you searched even a little, you would see the overwhelming advice is not until halfway through content review, and save AAMC FLs for end.

Search function will answer so many of your questions, and will even answer the questions you didn't even think to ask. Trust me, I'm not being snarky or condescending but there's a wealth of text and info here, use it.