7 year BS/DMD or UC Berkeley/UCLA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chillornah

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's pretty darn late in the game for college decisions. But here I am still wondering where I'm going to go.
So in your opinion, with your experience, is it better to accept the 7 year BS/DMD offer at a small school that's relatively unexciting but guarantees me a spot at Dental College of Georgia, or should I take the chance and go somewhere bigger, like Cal or UCLA, and have to apply to dental school later? I heard Dental school is increasingly competitive so I was wondering if it would be a bad decision to let this guaranteed spot go? Also, if I were to go to UCLA, I'd want to join their EMT team. Is that totally irrelevant/would it help at all with getting into dental school, or do they want to see solely dental experience?
If anyone could put in their two cents, maybe address the pros and cons below, I'd appreciate it 1000%!

Pros and Cons to my knowledge:
Pros-
7yr: security, don't have to reapply, just need to maintain grades, much cheaper, maybe more free time on breaks?
UC: greater, more diverse undergrad experience, good undergrad degree, wider scope of people you can meet
Cons-
7yr- small school, seems like a less interesting experience, the BS degree probably won't get me far, not much wiggle room, closed off
UC- no dental school guarantee, more expensive

Members don't see this ad.

You're in quite the sticky situation... It really depends on you knowing what kind of student you are. If you can expect to get around a 3.65+ GPA and a 21+ DAT, you can expect to get into some dental schools. I got into UMN, UPenn, BU, Temple and Maryland school of dental surgery with a 3.71 GPA and a 23 DAT.

Honestly, just get to know yourself and if you think you cannot do it, then make your own decision.

Hope this helps! :)

-Fyz

Members don't see this ad :)
You're in quite the sticky situation... It really depends on you knowing what kind of student you are. If you can expect to get around a 3.65+ GPA and a 21+ DAT, you can expect to get into some dental schools. I got into UMN, UPenn, BU, Temple and Maryland school of dental surgery with a 3.71 GPA and a 23 DAT.

Honestly, just get to know yourself and if you think you cannot do it, then make your own decision.

Hope this helps! :)

-Fyz

If you don't mind me asking, where did you go for undergrad and if you think it made a difference. If you had the chance for 7 yr would you? I'm trying to see if shooting for UCLA is worth it for the risk of possibly not getting into dental school immdiately after...

I got my undergrad in Cell/Micro Biology from the University of Minnesota. Because there is a dental school there, I was able to get firsthand tips and tricks to DAT and dental school admission from profs and students. I also did dental Research for 2 years with another classmate and a D4 dental student guidance. Since UCLA is a much bigger school, I don't know if you could get such help and/or research opportunities that easily, but if you reach out to the Dental school, I'm sure they could help you out while doing your undergrad.

I was considering it in my high school years, but to get into a good program (Like at UPenn), it is EXTREMELY competitive. I decided to do the more traditional way as I wanted a good dental education.

UCLA has a very good dental school. If you reach out to students and faculty and work really hard on the DAT and your GPA, I you would have a great chance of getting into some schools.

Hope this answers your questions! :) Feel free to ask me anything dental-school related if you have any questions!

-Fyz

Reactions: 1 user
I got my undergrad in Cell/Micro Biology from the University of Minnesota. Because there is a dental school there, I was able to get firsthand tips and tricks to DAT and dental school admission from profs and students. I also did dental Research for 2 years with another classmate and a D4 dental student guidance. Since UCLA is a much bigger school, I don't know if you could get such help and/or research opportunities that easily, but if you reach out to the Dental school, I'm sure they could help you out while doing your undergrad.

I was considering it in my high school years, but to get into a good program (Like at UPenn), it is EXTREMELY competitive. I decided to do the more traditional way as I wanted a good dental education.

UCLA has a very good dental school. If you reach out to students and faculty and work really hard on the DAT and your GPA, I you would have a great chance of getting into some schools.

Hope this answers your questions! :) Feel free to ask me anything dental-school related if you have any questions!

-Fyz
The U of M is larger than UCLA.

I'm a Cal alumnus. I had a tough time there academically (this is common), but I wouldn't have traded my time there for anything else. At 18, there are so many experiences to be had and options to explore. By the end of the 4 years, you may find your calling in another field and I think that is the beauty of it.

Go Bears.

Reactions: 3 users
The U of M is larger than UCLA.

Really! I didn't mean by class size but rather by the faculty, research facilities etc. UCLA in general seems like a bigger, renown school than UMN

Huh.. sorry for my incorrect facts...

-Fyz

UCLA undergrads can easily be exposed to dentistry through the dental school. We have one of the most active ASDA chapters in the country and the dental school always has events catering to undergrads that want to attend dental school. We also have a strong pre-dental club at UCLA (PDSOP) that works very closely with the ASDA chapter so there's really no shortage of opportunities.

If you're sure you want to be a dentist, I see no reason not to go with the 7 year program and save yourself the year.

Reactions: 1 users
Take the guaranteed admission at Georgia. Less $/risk

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Hands down, go to the 7 year program. No guanratee you'll be getting in the first cycle as a traditional student so technically you'd be saving at least 2 years--if you get the math that I'm getting at.

If a part of you doubts dentistry, then don't do it.