A few questions regarding dental application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Naztybart

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a theoretical scenario I can't seem to find an answer to.. I hope someone can help me out.

Suppose I took the DAT in May and my scores are average. If I apply and get denied from my schools is it possible to retake the DAT in September, get a higher score and reapply in the same cycle? Would it be better to talk to ADCOM of schools that I got denied to and tell them I will be retaking the DAT and hope to reply or since they rejected me the first time (especially if my GPA, s)upplemental information, PS, and LE are extremely promising, would this be impossible? Or would I need to create a whole new application to dental schools and reapply? Or is this not even possible and I would have to wait another year for a new cycle to apply? Thank you for the help and sorry if this is an unprofessional question - I couldn't seem to find any information.

-Stressed out pre-dental student.

Members don't see this ad.

I have a theoretical scenario I can't seem to find an answer to.. I hope someone can help me out.

Suppose I took the DAT in May and my scores are average. If I apply and get denied from my schools is it possible to retake the DAT in September, get a higher score and reapply in the same cycle? Would it be better to talk to ADCOM of schools that I got denied to and tell them I will be retaking the DAT and hope to reply or since they rejected me the first time (especially if my GPA, s)upplemental information, PS, and LE are extremely promising, would this be impossible? Or would I need to create a whole new application to dental schools and reapply? Or is this not even possible and I would have to wait another year for a new cycle to apply? Thank you for the help and sorry if this is an unprofessional question - I couldn't seem to find any information.

Chances are they will not give you a rejection that early. Most schools, from what I heard, start handing out interviews in August. The earliest date they can tell you if you are accepted in December 1. If they reject you, I heard the earliest they would tell you is October.

Suppose I took the DAT in May and my scores are average. If I apply and get denied from my schools is it possible to retake the DAT in September, get a higher score and reapply in the same cycle? Would it be better to talk to ADCOM of schools that I got denied to and tell them I will be retaking the DAT and hope to reply or since they rejected me the first time (especially if my GPA, s)supplemental information, PS, and LE are extremely promising, would this be impossible? Or would I need to create a whole new application to dental schools and reapply? Or is this not even possible and I would have to wait another year for a new cycle to apply? Thank you for the help and sorry if this is an unprofessional question - I couldn't seem to find any information.

I am going, to be frank, and straightforward. Having hypothetical scenarios won't help you at all. I suggest taking the DAT, seeing how you do and then assess your options. Yes, technically you could take it in the summer, not do well and then retake it in September and still be in the running for an interview invite. Remember a school "technically" isn't allowed to deny you until December 1st although it did happen to me once, I did find it odd and don't really have an answer for you on that one. By retaking the DAT you don't need a new application, you just update your application during the academic update period which I believe starts sometime in November.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I am going, to be frank, and straightforward. Having hypothetical scenarios won't help you at all. I suggest taking the DAT, seeing how you do and then assess your options. Yes, technically you could take it in the summer, not do well and then retake it in September and still be in the running for an interview invite. Remember a school "technically" isn't allowed to deny you until December 1st although it did happen to me once, I did find it odd and don't really have an answer for you on that one. By retaking the DAT you don't need a new application, you just update your application during the academic update period which I believe starts sometime in November.

Thank you so so much, this is helpful. One more question. I send in my application now with average DAT scores to my schools and say I retake it in early September and didn't receive any interview requests in August. Would it be wise to contact ADCOMs and let them know I updated my application with new DAT scores and possibly get an interview late September or early October and still have a chance? Since rejections don't come until December 1st.

Thank you so so much, this is helpful. One more question. I send in my application now with average DAT scores to my schools and say I retake it in early September and didn't receive any interview requests in August. Would it be wise to contact ADCOMs and let them know I updated my application with new DAT scores and possibly get an interview late September or early October and still have a chance? Since rejections don't come until December 1st.
I don't think it can hurt to let them know if you have new DAT scores in your hands. What are your scores right now (unless you were unwise with your username or what you posted, nobody will know your actual identity)?

Remember a school "technically" isn't allowed to deny you until December 1st although it did happen to me once, I did find it odd and don't really have an answer for you on that one.
Actually, schools can deny you at any time before Dec 1st, but can only accept/waitlist you on and after Dec 1st :)
But I agree with mostly everything else you said.
OP you can take your test in May, see how you do, and then indicate on the application that you will be retaking in August/September/90 days, and some schools may wait until your new scores come in before making a decision on you. There'd be no need to update them with your new scores because they'd get an update as soon as you put them into the application, and another one once they've become official on your application.

Actually, schools can deny you at any time before Dec 1st, but can only accept/waitlist you on and after Dec 1st :)
OP you can take your test in May, see how you do, and then indicate on the application that you will be retaking in August/September/90 days, and some schools may wait until your new scores come in before making a decision on you. There'd be no need to update them with your new scores because they'd get an update as soon as you put them into the application, and another one once they've become official on your application.

Where on the application would I want to indicate a retake?

Where on the application would I want to indicate a retake?
Under "Academic History", "Standardized Tests", you'll put the May test date and your scores, and then you'll put your retake's test date separately as a new entry. Then schools will know you're planning to retake it.

Ahh! Thanks for explain artist! I did not know this. But it's good definitely when helping other pre-dents!