A&M Physiology Requirement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clawsbeatskin

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
During my interview, I was told that accepted students with no prior physiology courses are "encouraged" (I took it as required) to take intro to physiology over the summer.

Does anyone know if this is a course offered over the summer at A&M, or can you take it elsewhere?

Just wondering, and trying to stay optimistic as we wait for another 2.5 weeks!

Members don't see this ad.

Really? I never heard this? That's interesting...

Hmm, they never mentioned anything to me as well. I took Mamm Physiology in college--perhaps that meets their requirements and hence why they didn't say anything.

Do you know if they mean a physio course or something more along the lines of Intro to Animal Science (which I didn't take and I think I noticed is going to be a pre-req starting next year). If it's a physio course, you should be able to take that at most 4-yr colleges. Intro to Animal Sci might be a little more difficult to find.

And yes, it's going to be a long 2.5-3 weeks:(

Members don't see this ad :)
What's the date they are supposed to send out the letters? I can't remember what they said. I'm having it sent to my home address so that I don't have to wait for the letter to travel to the other side of the country. Unfortunately, that means that I won't be able to open the letter, my parents will have to. :( I'm pretty sure I would go crazy though if I had to wait another 3 days for the letter to travel.

I keep hearing March 17, shuvball. I think that is also on their website's academic calendar.

I think Mammalian Physiology is exactly what they were looking for. I took a fish physiology course, and I mentioned that to them, but that apparently isn't enough.

I'm bored, so I looked up the dates of last year's acceptances...seems people received their letters on March 10 and 12.

I have no idea what this means for us, by the way! :p

Yes, according to their website, March 17th is the day. Guess I overestimated a little bit to keep my sanity in case it ends up being later than the 17th. I'm so anxious I hope it's not only to be disappointed :(

Great to hear that Mamm Phys counts. If it's only recommended, you could always save yourself some money and just buy a textbook and read through it (or go to a library if available). Although that will take a lot of motivation, you have to remember that everyone is coming from different backgrounds and some ppl only have the req science classes and no more. Therefore, I am sure they teach the classes knowing that everyone is at a different level with their own strengths and weaknesses. It's been 3 years plus since I took my Mamm Phys class so I think any advantage I would have with that sort of material will be minimal at this point. And I'm sure I am not the only one in this position!

Hmmm....does anyone know if Comparative Animal Physiology counts? I hope so, because it's required for my degree plan! :p

:luck: Good luck to everyone waiting on A&M, I'll be in your shoes this time next year!! EEK!

It's not required to get in but they just like to have people with backgrounds in physiology. Makes the first year that much easier (plus they can see how you handle a 'real, hard class' or that's what they told me lol).

I hadn't taken Anatomy nor Physiology at the time of the interview (taking anatomy now and phys this summer) and they asked me if I'd taken them yet and why not (No, because I'm a Junior applying early) and if/when I planned to take them. I told them I was taking Anatomy this semester and Physiology over the summer and they nodded and said 'Very good idea' soo, yah. Wonder if they're looking for those courses in specific? I know they look at Biochemistry hard but didn't know about anatomy/phys.

Does anyone know if this is a course offered over the summer at A&M, or can you take it elsewhere?

Yes, it is. I'm taking it this summer. And you could take it else where I'm sure.

You should definitely take the course over the summer if you can. The course number is VTPP 423.

It's a really tough course, at least it was for me in my undergrad there. But it will definitely help prepare you for your first year. Good luck!

I wonder about auditing the course?

Just to add my 2 cents in...:D

I know of an online physiology course that UC Davis will accept (at your own pace, can start out of sync with semester/quarters, at a four year school, upper division) at Breyer State. Don't know if A&M would also accept this course, but it's worth a shot. You could do it from the privacy of your own home, even. If anyone wants more info, I'll look it up and post it. You could also probably search for the course on Breyer State's website. Or if you want you can PM me and I'll dig through my files. Hope that helps!

Yeah, I don't know if they actually go back and verify that you took it...I think it's more of a strong recommendation. I heard that physiology is the toughest course for first years.

HopefulAg, I looked for the course schedule for Summer 08, and it's not up yet. I couldn't find it in Summer 07, either. I guess you just know they're going to offer it from previous experience?

Members don't see this ad :)
They're really just recommending it for your own benefit. If you don't want to spend the money or have a background in that class there's no need to take it. They will be offering it over the summer. The two professors are guiding a study abroad class in Italy, and they'll each teach half the course here and half there.

Btw, I called the admissions office to see if I could get a specific date for when they're sending out letters, and they wouldn't tell me. Just "sometime around spring break" *sigh*

Ugh... I wish we could get a specific date!! It's been such a long wait already. I am for sure learning how to be more patient though. I have to say that I am much less anxious now than I was 1-2 months ago. :D

When is A&M's spring break specifically?

March 10-14. The 17th is soooo not "around Spring Break" lol. :p

Maybe that means that we could hear sooner??? Here's to wishful thinking! :luck:

HopefulAg, I looked for the course schedule for Summer 08, and it's not up yet. I couldn't find it in Summer 07, either. I guess you just know they're going to offer it from previous experience?

My anatomy lab partner is a TA for the physiology class and I asked if they'd be doing a Phys class for the summer and she said yes. I'd assume she'd know and I'm hoping she's right.

Warning: Off Topic! :)

I just noticed that A&M recalculated our GPA's to include our fall semester grades. Were they always planning on doing this? Maybe I just didn't notice it? I'm not complaining though because it definitely improved my grades, especially since they don't include +/-'s!! :)

2 weeks!

I don't think they did that last year. At least, they didn't say anything about it.

Yeah, it's actually posted on the site now. I think it was a recent change. I'm not complaining though!

I just noticed that A&M recalculated our GPA's to include our fall semester grades. Were they always planning on doing this? Maybe I just didn't notice it? I'm not complaining though because it definitely improved my grades, especially since they don't include +/-'s!!

I think they always do this? Where are you looking by the by?

This hurts my GPA. Not a whole lot but maybe enough to count. :(

Stupid Microbiology (5 hour class), Got 404 out of the 405 points required for an A. :rolleyes:

The calculated GPAs are on our status page, the page that you had to confirm. It was written where the selection process is laid out, where all the points are listed. Let me know if you cant find it and I'll put the link up for you.

The physiology course absolutely, positively, will be offered this summer. Unless the two professors die, you can bet that they will show up to teach this class. It's a requirement for Biomedical Science majors, and it is always a full class (except for the time I took it in which our class size was abnormally low, which was great!). Good luck guys.

Has anybody at A&M now overheard anything about when the letters will go out? Or anything else interesting for that matter?

-Anxiously waiting in NJ :D

This is just speculation....

Last year's notifications arrived around 10th-12th...so if that's any indication, then they might be mailing out today or tomorrow.

I'm holding onto hope that's what they'll do! :oops:

That would be amazing... I'm going to have to be bugging my parents about checking the mail every 5 seconds now since the letter will be sent to my home address :)

More hearsay: they still haven't sent the letters, as they're waiting on fall grades (still??!) from a couple people.

Wow... i'm sorry but if your fall grades still haven't been submitted... that's pretty bad. It's March! (Sorry, guess I'm just a little stressed, come on A&M! Mail the letters!!!)

Thanks for the info Tiraka! Let us know if you hear anything else!

They're still waiting on grades from people? Dang. I wonder what school is holding it up? A&M has submitted theirs a couple weeks ago.

So was the earlier post about them having made admissions decisions premature?

Nice new avatar by the way, HopefulAg:)

No, supposedly the fall grades are just needed to make sure people that they're planning to accept didn't fail pre-reqs. I can't guarantee that any of this is true, as it's all second hand. Spreading rumors makes the time go faster, right? (beats studying immunology, anyways!)

Also heard they send final notice to permanent addresses - which would be nice if the letter comes over spring break. Otherwise, I'd rather not have my parents tell me over the phone if I'm accepted/rejected

Spreading rumors makes the time go faster, right? (beats studying immunology, anyways!)

Oi, I feel ya, I should be studying Immunology too.

Also heard they send final notice to permanent addresses - which would be nice if the letter comes over spring break. Otherwise, I'd rather not have my parents tell me over the phone if I'm accepted/rejected

I actually had a long talk with my parents over what to do if the letter came while I was away. I really want to be the one to open up the letter but not willing to wait a week or so til I can go home.

They really should've planned this better. :laugh:

WHAT?!?!?!? Oh dear...major freak out now... forget about getting work done this weekend :laugh:. GOOD LUCK everyone!!!

And thanks Tiraka for the post! You're sure they were sent???

Haha, heard it from someone who went to the Dean's office and asked. So...pretty sure. I'm going crazy waiting for the mail to come!

Oh I know! I'm hoping that the snow storm in Dallas isn't going to delay mail too much, but I have a feeling I'm going to have to wait at least until tomorrow. It never snows at home, why does it have to snow the day that those letters were sent?!

...the wait is almost over!!!!!!!!! :D Hopefully we'll all be classmates in the fall!

No A&M letter in my mailbox today... Here's to tomorrow! :luck:

OH MY GOD....the suspense is literally giving me heart palpatations.

Oh man, you guys are killing me! I was all set not to freak out for another week! Haha. ;)
Now I'm going to be stalking the mailbox ALL DAY tomorrow.
:)
So much for my senior thesis.

Oh you have got to be kidding me. Tomorrow is when we might get them?! My cousin's wedding is tomorrow!!

Maybe I can duck out after the 'I dos' and have (more) good news by the reception...

Good luck tomorrow guys! :luck: I really hope we all hear good news! I'm going to be anxiously awaiting a phone call tomorrow at work. :D

Yeah, I'm awake at 6am on Saturday morning. Waiting. Sleep? Yeah right.

Lol, I actually already had plans to drive home today to see the parents, way before I knew today might be the day. Funny how things like that work out.

Good luck to all!!! :luck:

Don't worry. I have totally been checking the mailbox every hour even though I KNOW that the mail doesn't come until 11 at the earliest.

Good luck everyone!!

Okay, the mail came, and no letter from A&M. I have never been less excited to get a dance magazine in my life. So, officially, the notice has not reached the other side of Texas yet. I hope you guys actually near College Station get it today!

SteelMagghia, by "other side of Texas", do you mean North, South, or West? We are talking about a failry expansive area here, you know :p

My letter is coming to San Antonio...not too close, but not too far either....

Sorry, I should have said that. West Texas. I'm from Lubbock, I think the only way you could get farther away from College Station and still be in Texas is to go to El Paso.

A buddy of mine in College Station got his acceptance letter today 3/8/08.