A Tribute: Choosing Wisely, 2013-202x(??)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

elementaryschooleconomics

Mask on, Aquaplast, Mask off.
Administrator
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
It was brought to my attention that you can no longer find ASTRO's "Choosing Wisely" list on their website.

From a December 2022 PRO article, here are the URLs:

1691166244577.png

But...that URL is a 404 error:

https://www.astro.org/Patient-Care-and-Research/Patient-Education/2013-Choosing-Wisely-List

https://www.astro.org/Patient-Care-and-Research/Patient-Education/2014-Choosing-Wisely-List

If you shorten the URL to try to just go to "Patient-Education", it redirects to "Provider-Resources" (even though the name of the page is Patient Education).

Interestingly, it appears the ABIM is done with "officially" campaigning for Choosing Wisely as of this year:

https://choosingwisely.org/

That being said, individual societies in other specialties continue on:

1691166927216.png

The phrase "Choosing Wisely" appears to have been scrubbed from ASTRO's website. It's possible to find older documents referencing it, of course, but it takes a little legwork using the "Search" feature.

I wonder...I wonder why?

1691167030784.png

1691167096642.png

Total mystery.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I love Astro in situations like this.

They think the internet doesn’t forget

Reactions: 1 users
We catch ASTRO "cheating on us" like almost every other day now

Why does anyone want to stay married to ASTRO?

Spousal abuse

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
"Who cares", some may say.

Just a reminder that whenever ASTRO publishes these things - this is how the Benefit Managers write their guidelines.

Choosing Wisely is why IMRT for breast was never used. Skip directly to protons, I guess.

Ever had to do a P2P for a denial based on number of fractions?

You can thank ASTRO for that.

Just a reminder that whenever ASTRO publishes these things - this is how the Benefit Managers write their guidelines.

Choosing Wisely is why IMRT for breast was never used. Skip directly to protons, I guess.

Its that global warming analogy again.

Who cares, who cares. All little things, it's just a degree, it's just a bad storm.

Hey, did you know leprosy is back? Leprosy May Be Endemic in Central Florida, Scientists Report

I care.

Reactions: 1 user
Are you suggesting that ASTRO wiped the website? You know like with a cloth....

• Haha
  • Love
I mean... following that logic... at least now the unawashed masses can do IMRT for breast, radiate low-risk pCA, do 15Fx IMRT for bone mets, treat low-risk endometrial cancer(?) with adjuvant RT, and other things that can help an individual non-proton practitioner's bottom line (even if most are not in a patient's best interest)

Choosing wisely is predicated on overutilization, not prices as being the driver of excessive health care costs and this is totally false. Multiple comparisons between national systems show that by far and away the issue is the prices.

Reactions: 5 users
Choosing wisely is predicated on overutilization, not prices as being the driver of excessive health care costs and this is totally false. Multiple comparisons between national systems show that by far and away the issue is the prices.

Incorrect diagnosis leads to inappropriate treatment
Low cost depts/sites of service aren't what make up the majority of ASTRO's membership and ruling class.

Why would they ever care about prices?

FASTRO?

HELL NO
.. F ASTRO

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user