A very specific AACOMAS application question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kalat

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Keep in mind that schools will not mark an application as "complete" until all information (MCAT/Transcripts/Secondaries/Fees/etc.) are received. Additionally, many schools do not accept C- in pre-req courses and for those who have not completed all pre-req courses, applications are looked upon under provisional basis. For example (straight from Touro-NY's website):

* All students who have yet to complete the pre-requites for the program will be admitted on a provisional basis and are expected to earn a grade a B or better on those courses.

If you had difficulty in Ochem I, make sure to retake and do significantly better in O-chem 2. I would advise researching all the schools on your list and identify those that your specific problem applies to. Good luck with everything :)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Once you submit your AACOMAS application, you can not send in new transcripts and update grades on the application unless the original official transcript that was sent to them specifies "future" coursework in the summer. You can, however, update individual schools, and that falls back upon specific schools that will not look favorably at a C- in a pre-req. The choice to submit now is completely up to you and depends on specific school requirements. Your MCAT score will not come in until late September so keep in mind that (assuming it is your first time taking it) schools will not look at your application without an MCAT score.

Once you submit your AACOMAS application, you can not send in new transcripts and update grades on the application unless the original official transcript that was sent to them specifies "future" coursework in the summer. You can, however, update individual schools, and that falls back upon specific schools that will not look favorably at a C- in a pre-req. The choice to submit now is completely up to you and depends on specific school requirements. Your MCAT score will not come in until late September so keep in mind that (assuming it is your first time taking it) schools will not look at your application without an MCAT score.

I specified all courses yet to be taken as Planned/In-Progress in Summer 2014 and Fall 2014 on AACOMAS. I am also already registered for them officially through my university. If I send them official transcripts now will it indicate that on them? Or do you mean indicated on AACOMAS? Also, if schools will not look at my application without an MCAT score it seems there is no reason to submit early.

I specified all courses yet to be taken as Planned/In-Progress in Summer 2014 and Fall 2014 on AACOMAS. I am also already registered for them officially through my university. If I send them official transcripts now will it indicate that on them? Or do you mean indicated on AACOMAS? Also, if schools will not look at my application without an MCAT score it seems there is no reason to submit early.

Planned courses need to be physically on the official transcript that you send in to be considered later for updates. Whether or not your transcript as of now has the Ochem I course on it, I do not know. That is something that you need to talk to your university about. AACOMAS will force you to remove all coursework that is not physically stated on the official transcript you send them. Submitting early is to your benefit in order to be verified, but if you do not have all coursework that you want included in your application, then yes, there is really no reason to submit before August.

Planned courses need to be physically on the official transcript that you send in to be considered later for updates. Whether or not your transcript as of now has the Ochem I course on it, I do not know. That is something that you need to talk to your university about. AACOMAS will force you to remove all coursework that is not physically stated on the official transcript you send them. Submitting early is to your benefit in order to be verified, but if you do not have all coursework that you want included in your application, then yes, there is really no reason to submit before August.

How is this even possible?

I am planning to take ochem II in the fall. My official transcript from the school I will be taking this at doesn't include classes I *might* be signing up for on the transcript. How would they even know what I could possibly be taking in order to feature them on the transcript?

Reactions: 1 user
How is this even possible?

I am planning to take ochem II in the fall. My official transcript from the school I will be taking this at doesn't include classes I *might* be signing up for on the transcript. How would they even know what I could possibly be taking in order to feature them on the transcript?

They don't, that is the point. AACOMAS is very unlike AMCAS in how they process transcripts and grades. They do not accept "future" coursework unless there is proof of it. I was told directly from AACOMAS representatives that all "planned" coursework needs to be explicitly on an official transcript to be considered. Usually for universities, planned/current coursework is only on transcripts after you have registered/begun the class; at least that is how it is for my university.

If you would prefer the direct quote from them here it is (I asked about spring 2014 and future coursework requirements):

Please note that the requirement for this cycle is that all grades including Spring 2014 grades must be listed on the official transcript in order to meet AACOMAS' guidelines. Instructions on page 12 have more information . Any planned courses (Summer 2014 and beyond) must be listed on an official transcript in order for us to verify the information listed in the coursework section. If the courses past Summer are not available at this time then you may remove them EXCLUDING Spring 2014. An updated official transcript may be sent at a later date when this information become available.

The bold section is what I am referring to.

They don't, that is the point. AACOMAS is very unlike AMCAS in how they process transcripts and grades. They do not accept "future" coursework unless there is proof of it. I was told directly from AACOMAS representatives that all "planned" coursework needs to be explicitly on an official transcript to be considered. Usually for universities, planned/current coursework is only on transcripts after you have registered/begun the class; at least that is how it is for my university.

If you would prefer the direct quote from them here it is (I asked about spring 2014 and future coursework requirements):

Please note that the requirement for this cycle is that all grades including Spring 2014 grades must be listed on the official transcript in order to meet AACOMAS' guidelines. Instructions on page 12 have more information . Any planned courses (Summer 2014 and beyond) must be listed on an official transcript in order for us to verify the information listed in the coursework section. If the courses past Summer are not available at this time then you may remove them EXCLUDING Spring 2014. An updated official transcript may be sent at a later date when this information become available.

The bold section is what I am referring to.

I understand this is what they're saying, but something doesn't seem to be adding up here. Can someone else weigh in?

Will schools simply assume you aren't taking any additional classes (and reject/not review your application) if your future classes aren't listed on a transcript? Personally, I cannot sign up for classes for another month or so, so there is no way I'd be able to get ochem II on my transcript at the moment.

Can someone else verify this? Perhaps an adcom member? @Goro ?

I understand this is what they're saying, but something doesn't seem to be adding up here. Can someone else weigh in?

Will schools simply assume you aren't taking any additional classes (and reject/not review your application) if your future classes aren't listed on a transcript? Personally, I cannot sign up for classes for another month or so, so there is no way I'd be able to get ochem II on my transcript at the moment.

Can someone else verify this? Perhaps an adcom member? @Goro ?

Page 17 in the official AACOMAS instructions provides better information on this.

Planned/In Progress: You may designate a term as "Planned/In Progress" and enter courses which you are presently taking or courses you plan to take before osteopathic medical school matriculation. You must be enrolled in these courses and they must appear on your official transcript or you may be asked to remove them during verification. If you add/drop any of your planned courses you will need to have an updated official transcript sent to AACOMAS. Credit hours expected may be entered under Semester Hours. It is important to list all courses that you are presently taking or plan to take and not just those courses that have been completed.
NOTE: AACOMAS does not review "Planned/In Progress" courses and cannot provide approval or a decision based on incomplete courses. You must seek guidance from your pre-health advisor or the school/s to which you wish to apply.
It looks like they do not necessarily have a concrete rule regarding this since it says "you may be asked." I have a feeling it is a factor of how many credit hours you have previously completed (i.e. your academic history to that point) and the relative importance the particular course might have. It seems they place quite a lot of importance on you having finished your junior year (AACOMAS classifies a junior as 61-96 semester hours). It also looks like different schools have different feelings on it; best to contact your most desired ones directly. In addition, I'd probably recommend you contact your current university's registrar and ask them if they/can they place future classes on your official transcript.

Last edited:
It looks like they do not have concrete rules regarding this and it may be a case-by-case basis to decide whether or not they will ask you verify you are registered for these courses and if your academic history is satisfactory for them. Maybe it is best to contact AACOMAS and the schools directly.

It may be a case by case basis, for that I do not know, but what I do know is that I put "planned" courses on my AACOMAS application naively thinking it was similar to AMCAS (back before I knew about this problem) and was told by an AACOMAS representative that the transcript I sent them had none of the "planned" courses I designated and was instructed to remove them before submitting.

EDIT: Just as reference, I have well over 100 credit hours (senior) and was still asked to remove the courses (to answer the above edit).

Last edited:
I think yanks wants to know whether or not it will be detrimental to your app if you are, indeed, planning to take additional required courses but cannot yet register for those courses, thus there is no way to include them on your application (since they're not on any transcript).

I'm in the same position, for a biochemistry class that I'm planning to take this fall but can't yet register for - registration only opens up next month, so it's not worth waiting for to submit the app.

I called a few schools that require biochemistry to ask them whether or not this would be an issue. They said, more or less, that they may ask me about it during the application process, but will not reject me simply because the course is "not in progress." Of course, if I were to be accepted, I would need to show proof of the course/a specific grade in it in order to matriculate.

I hope that's helpful - it's definitely a slightly sticky situation but I think most schools are understanding of this issue.

Edit: It may also depend on HOW MANY required courses you're missing, and specific schools requirements for completion of pre-reqs at the time of application vs. matriculation.

The schools will not make any assumption. Don't fuss over this.

Can someone else verify this? Perhaps an adcom member? @Goro ?[/QUOTE]

Members don't see this ad :)
Page 17 in the official AACOMAS instructions provides better information on this.

Planned/In Progress: You may designate a term as "Planned/In Progress" and enter courses which you are presently taking or courses you plan to take before osteopathic medical school matriculation. You must be enrolled in these courses and they must appear on your official transcript or you may be asked to remove them during verification. If you add/drop any of your planned courses you will need to have an updated official transcript sent to AACOMAS. Credit hours expected may be entered under Semester Hours. It is important to list all courses that you are presently taking or plan to take and not just those courses that have been completed.
NOTE: AACOMAS does not review "Planned/In Progress" courses and cannot provide approval or a decision based on incomplete courses. You must seek guidance from your pre-health advisor or the school/s to which you wish to apply.
It looks like they do not necessarily have a concrete rule regarding this since it says "you may be asked." I have a feeling it is a factor of how many credit hours you have previously completed (i.e. your academic history to that point) and the relative importance the particular course might have. It seems they place quite a lot of importance on you having finished your junior year (AACOMAS classifies a junior as 61-96 semester hours). It also looks like different schools have different feelings on it; best to contact your most desired ones directly. In addition, I'd probably recommend you contact your current university's registrar and ask them if they/can they place future classes on your official transcript.

I tend to agree with you; I think this would be more of an issue determining if someone had junior standing...as opposed to a non-trad who indicates they are finishing their last pre-req in the fall.... but i've been wrong before..

It hurts to hear sometimes, but maybe apply next year... Give yourself some wiggle room with these classes, give yourself some more time for ECs too... That's what I would do at least

Sent from my RM-917_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk

It hurts to hear sometimes, but maybe apply next year... Give yourself some wiggle room with these classes, give yourself some more time for ECs too... That's what I would do at least

I appreciate your response, but I disagree. I have a reasonable amount of work and volunteer history. I also have a reasonable amount of research, a research fellowship, and a research presentation. My cGPA at 3.50 and sGPA at 3.46 isn't stellar, but it isn't bad in relation to DO averages either. I'm only missing Organic I & II. Why would I wait a whole year for two classes? It'd more difficult to explain what I was doing that whole year than apply missing a class or two - I graduate in December 2014 (before primary applications are due this cycle). The only thing that would make me re-think my application would be poor performance on the MCAT (<26). If I'm wrong in my thinking I hope others correct me as well.

Last edited:
Two of the hardest undergrad classes (as you have seen...) and the MCAT... I personally took a year from this exact same situation you were in. I needed physics and the MCAT. I had my application almost finished. My GPA was the same and I had solid ecs as well... It was the best decision I have made, taking an extra year. I am a much stronger and more mature applicant for it. And I was able to really focus on what needed to be done.

Not telling you how to live your life, just offering another suggestion. You can totally say F off awesome saucy, and that's fine. But its definitely another option worth thinking about. Maybe make a pros and cons list or something.

Not telling you how to live your life, just offering another suggestion. You can totally say F off awesome saucy, and that's fine. But its definitely another option worth thinking about. Maybe make a pros and cons list or something.

No, no. I'm not offended in the slightest. I respect your suggestion. I took a year off after high school before I pursued college. However, my year after high school felt purposeful, and I can't say the same if I were to voluntarily delay until next cycle. As far as I have seen, September is still within the priority consideration window for many schools (literally the last month, anyways). With decent stats, I don't see why it would be too terrible considering how many schools I'm applying to.

Last edited:
I'd submit after you know your final grade for ochem. So by the time you're verified you should have the mcat score and ochem 2 marked on your transcript. Just do the secondaries for the schools you want during that month hiatus after mcat and submit as soon as you get secondaries

Then when your ochem 2 is done, update schools on the grade and any other stuff you think is worth mentioning. Good luck.

There's no reason to submit in August, just do it as early as possible if you're applying this cycle. Just update the schools.

There's no reason to submit in August, just do it as early as possible if you're applying this cycle. Just update the schools.

So you don't think it would look bad as it currently is? Something tells me submitting early is always the best advice, but I don't want to get looked over because of a blemish that could be solved in a few months. Maybe that doesn't happen so easily? Regardless, I'll start getting transcripts sent in just in case... better to prepare even if you aren't sure about something.

Last edited:
So you don't think it would look bad as it currently is? Something tells me submitting early is always the best advice, but I don't want to get looked over because of a blemish that could be solved in a few months. Maybe that doesn't happen so easily? Regardless, I'll start getting transcripts sent in just in case... better to prepare even if you aren't sure about something.
They're not going to look at your app unless your MCAT score is in.

This thread has been helpful. I'm all done with my application with the exception of my MCAT since I had to push it back to Oct. 25. If I do wait for the next cycle would I have to start over on the application or will my app for this cycle roll over? Also, would I need to request for all of my schools to submit official transcripts again for next cycle?

This thread has been helpful. I'm all done with my application with the exception of my MCAT since I had to push it back to Oct. 25. If I do wait for the next cycle would I have to start over on the application or will my app for this cycle roll over? Also, would I need to request for all of my schools to submit official transcripts again for next cycle?

I'm glad this post was able to help you! Your application will rollover to the next year. Look at the AACOMAS instruction PDF linked elsewhere in this thread (or do a search) and it will provide more information for reapplicants. You will probably only need to update transcripts for institutions that have new classes, otherwise - like if you haven't taken any more classes - you will not need to update them as they will be resent the next cycle with the rest of your reapplication. Verify all this information I'm telling you from AACOMAS as I may be wrong.

As for an update on my situation since I posted this, I haven't submitted my primary still and just got my grades back for summer. I got an A- in the two classes I took (Organic I retake included), and I just sent the new official e-transcript to AACOMAS. My cumulative sGPA is up to 3.49 and my cGPA is up to 3.51. At the very least, I am going to submit the primary to my state school (i.e. just 1 school) before my MCAT date to get it verified and then I will add additional schools as appropriate per my MCAT score in September (i.e. I won't apply to TouroNY if my MCAT is low).

Last edited:
I don't think any schools will completely discount you without your planned courses.

I'm glad this post was able to help you! Your application will rollover to the next year. Look at the AACOMAS instruction PDF linked elsewhere in this thread (or do a search) and it will provide more information for reapplicants. You will probably only need to update transcripts for institutions that have new classes, otherwise - like if you haven't taken any more classes - you will not need to update them as they will be resent the next cycle with the rest of your reapplication. Verify all this information I'm telling you from AACOMAS as I may be wrong.

As for an update on my situation since I posted this, I haven't submitted my primary still and just got my grades back for summer. I got an A- in the two classes I took (Organic I retake included), and I just sent the new official e-transcript to AACOMAS. My cumulative sGPA is up to 3.49 and my cGPA is up to 3.51. At the very least, I am going to submit the primary to my state school (i.e. just 1 school) before my MCAT date to get it verified and then I will add additional schools as appropriate per my MCAT score in September (i.e. I won't apply to TouroNY if my MCAT is low).

Thanks for the reply! I'm waiting to submit my primary since my mcat date isn't till Oct. 25. I'm guessing I must submit my application in order for the information to roll over for next cycle since you mentioned "reapplicants". I am waiting to apply once I see a good score after Oct. Great job on the summer classes!