You’ve got a fair amount of very competitive programs in that list. Maybe add some more “safety” schools, if it’s not too late.Hello, I am currently a 3rd year dental student looking to apply to pediatric residency. I will be applying at the end of the academic year and would like some feedback on my chances and any tips to get in. Below I have listed my stats:
I have been wanting to be a pediatric dentist since day 1 of dental school, but I am quite concerned about my chances. I did not do as well as I wanted my first year, but I worked extremely hard and did much better in my second year. I am working very hard to make sure the upwards trend continues this year.
- 3.19 GPA
- Class Rank: 65% of class
- Dental Hygienist prior to starting dental school
- Leadership Positions: President of Pediatric Club, Teaching Assistant in 3 different classes, working as a hygienist at a pediatric office, and hold multiple leadership positions in the Autism club, Specialty Club, and on E-board for my class.
- Conduct research at my school and will be presenting at national conference
- Extern at 1 pediatric residency so far and have others scheduled later this year
I am close with my school’s Pediatric director and continue to work closely with him. I plan to apply very broadly next year (35-45 programs), but at the same time don’t want to waste my money on applying to programs I have no chance at. While not preferred, I am open to doing a pediatric-focused AEGD/GPR program if need be.
My questions are:
Would love some input/advice and encouragement from any pediatric dentists or residents out there. Feeling quite discouraged right about now, but also want to be realistic about my chances and situation.
- What pediatric and/or AEGD/GPR programs should I be looking at that?
- I have posted the schools I plan on applying to next year (below), are there any that I should add/delete?
- Do I have a chance of getting in this cycle?
- What should I be doing to increase my chances?
- Is there anyone with similar stats that have gotten in on their first try?
- NYU – Maryland
- Cooper University Hospital
- ECU School of Medicine
- University of Louisville
- University of Kentucky
- University of Illinois
- Augusta University
- Children’s Hospital of Atlanta
- NYU – TAMPA
- Children’s National medical center
- Children’s Hospital
- Denver Health Medical Center
- University of Connecticut Health Center
- Children’s Wisconsin
- Bon Secours St. Mary Hospital or Richmond
- University of Tennessee Health Science Center
- Case Western Reserve University
- Ohio State nationwide
- St. Christophers
- Temple University
- Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh
- Nicklaus Children’s
- NYU – Holyoke
- NYU – Rhode Island
- NYU – Jacobi
- NYU – Hawaii
- NYU - San Diego
- Texas A&M
- University of Texas Health Science Center- Houston
- University of Texas Health Science – San Antonio
- Primary Children’s Hospital
- Hennepin County – Minnesota
- Buffalo University – NY
- Stony Brook