AACOMAS FAQ 2014-2015 Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thank you. I will definitely go back and make sure.

What about classes that I had taken for my GED review? Those are on my unofficial transcript but they are not credited courses.
Hmm I would contact AACOMAS about that one... Normally you just have to submit "every transcript from all secondary educational institutions you have ever attended." So basically any college you had ever attended. But I will admit I am completely ignorant of the GED stuff, if it shows up on a college transcript, my intuition would say to include it, in the same way that people include AP courses and such... but again best to contact them. Really hound them until you get a full answer. Usually they are extremely helpful, but sometimes they can be vague in their answers, so get as clear of an answer that you can from them.

Members don't see this ad.

Awesome. Thank you. Will send them an email now.

Got a response back:
Hello,I hope you are doing well. I just have a question regarding GED classes that are on my community college transcript. Please see below, am I to include this as courses on AACOMAS or no? These were classes I took prior to getting my GED. Also on the application, as far as high school goes, do I just list GED instead? Your help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much

Term: Spring 2006 Noncredit Major: Adult Secondary Ed/Adv Academic Standing: Subject Course Level Title Grade Credit Hours Quality Points R EDU A09 NC GED Review P 3.500 0.00 HIS A01 NC U.S. & Ill. Const. P 1.000 0.00 Term Totals (Non Credit Only) Attempt Hours Passed Hours Earned Hours GPA Hours Quality Points GPA Current Term: 0.000 0.000 0.000 0.000 0.00 0.00 Cumulative: 0.000 0.000 0.000 0.000 0.00 0.00
AACOMAS Support
Today 3:37 PM

You must include the courses that appear on your official transcript(s).

Yes, you list your GED information in place of high school.

Thank you.

HOWEVER, if you notice, it says NC (no credit) and it was not undergrad. It was adult secondary education. Anyway, I put it down as freshman, and 0 credit hours. I hope that satisfies them.

Last edited:
So, I'm a Texas resident, and I applied via TMDSAS back in 2012. Well, I'm applying to schools again this year, but I'm definitely broadening my horizons. With that said, I definitely don't have much experience in AMCAS nor AACOMAS, so...questions! Quick note: I'm just finishing with TMDSAS currently, so I haven't started the AACOMAS app yet.

Is there a bad time to submit the AACOMAS app? Like "After insert month here '14/'15, you won't get any IIs?" I realize that most of the deadlines for schools not named TCOM have deadlines on their primaries after the new year, but still.

I'm fairly certain my family and I will qualify for the application fee waiver. For the waiver, exactly how much would an application be, afterwards? Without the waiver status, it's $195 for the first college application + $35 for each school after that, with it being $50 for each school after the application is already submitted. Where does the fee waiver come into effect? I tried searching for it online, and got helpful information, but no real numbers.

Today 2:33 PMHello,I just wanted to ask how the fee waiver works. If I apply to a fourth school, do I have to pay $195+$35? or is the $195 fee completely waived? I would really appreciate your help. Thank you, DrDreams
Katherine Joyce
Today 3:58 PM
Dear Mr.Dreams,

The AACOMAS fee waiver covers the $195 fee. Therefore if you apply to four schools, it will cost $35.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Katherine Joyce

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Today 2:33 PMHello,I just wanted to ask how the fee waiver works. If I apply to a fourth school, do I have to pay $195+$35? or is the $195 fee completely waived? I would really appreciate your help. Thank you, DrDreams
Katherine Joyce
Today 3:58 PM
Dear Mr.Dreams,

The AACOMAS fee waiver covers the $195 fee. Therefore if you apply to four schools, it will cost $35.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Katherine Joyce

Thanks so much for this, DrDreams! Are you far along on your application?

Also, is it going to be $35, regardless of however many schools you apply to? (And $50 for each, after you submit?)

Thanks so much for this, DrDreams! Are you far along on your application?

Also, is it going to be $35, regardless of however many schools you apply to? (And $50 for each, after you submit?)
No problem. I'd been searching for the same answer.

I think the way it works is after the third school, each addition school is the normal $35. If you submit and decide to add a school, the first school will still be $50, then each addition will be $35.

I have a question regarding transcript. Being a re-applicant from previous cycle, I have copied over the application to apply this cycle. The transcript was transferred over and the checklist even says that they received the transcript. However, the coursework section still says its status is incomplete.. Does anyone know how I can make this into complete? so I can apply? Thanks

Just figured it out.

Last edited:
To anybody who took the June 5th MCAT and received their score last week (July 8th):

Your score might take longer than usual to be uploaded to your AACOMAS. I sent my score to them from MCAT THx on 7/8 and it still has not be uploaded to my app, despite THx listing it as received. I called AACOMAS and they said they've been having some issues uploading scores from that test date. The lady didn't really seem to know what's going on but she assured me it was a very minor problem and would be fixed shortly.

I volunteered as an academic tutor and am now a private tutor. Should I just put it all under work experience and mention that I did it as voluntary work (including hours)?

I submitted my application on July 2nd and its still "processing" as of right now. Anyone else in the same boat as me? Approximately by when should I expect my application to be verified and sent to schools?

I have a total of 2 works experiences ( first one for two years and second one for 1.5 years), 6 extracurricular activities ( which include 2 long term activities that I participated in for 3-4 years), and 5 awards/scholarships. I only listed EC activities that are meaningful to my application. I am not sure if I should add more EC activities ( such as hobbies) to make the list look longer or should it be fine as it is?

I submitted my application on July 2nd and its still "processing" as of right now. Anyone else in the same boat as me? Approximately by when should I expect my application to be verified and sent to schools?
If you have everything in, it will probably take around 3-4 weeks from when you sent it, so pretty soon hopefully. For people who applied early June it took roughly 1-3 weeks (depending on the intricacies of your application - how many schools you are applying to, how many transcripts you have etc). I am not sure if the process is slowed down, but I imagine they are getting more applications in July than they did in June.

I have a total of 2 works experiences ( first one for two years and second one for 1.5 years), 6 extracurricular activities ( which include 2 long term activities that I participated in for 3-4 years), and 5 awards/scholarships. I only listed EC activities that are meaningful to my application. I am not sure if I should add more EC activities ( such as hobbies) to make the list look longer or should it be fine as it is?
Nope, dont add fluff. Unless you did something meaningful with that hobby then dont add it. Quality is better than quantity. Some people have super full applications, some people have less stuff, its all good.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nope, dont add fluff. Unless you did something meaningful with that hobby then dont add it. Quality is better than quantity. Some people have super full applications, some people have less stuff, its all good.

Thank you for the quick response. I plan to keep my application as it is. quality>>>>quantity :nod::nod:

Any idea when my application will be sent to the schools? I submitted my app yesterday and my current status is "submitted to aacomas". It was verified prior to submission so I'm just waiting for it to get sent out. Is there something else that happens before it gets sent to the schools?

Any idea when my application will be sent to the schools? I submitted my app yesterday and my current status is "submitted to aacomas". It was verified prior to submission so I'm just waiting for it to get sent out. Is there something else that happens before it gets sent to the schools?
Check out the AACOMAS verification thread. it will have a timeline for you

I have a question for anyone that had trouble filling out the "legal actions" section? It says to list all convictions except for parking violations. Now, I wanted to ask the SDN community about this because I have had my share of speeding tickets, and like one running a stop sign ticket (just like a lot of people). I haven't had anything serious just minor traffic stuff. I called AACOMAS and asked about how to list this but they said they cannot give me "legal advice". I wanted to ask you guys about how y'all answered this question, and how y'all listed all of your speeding tickets and stuff because I honestly can't remember when my last ticket was. since it has been a while.

I have a question for anyone that had trouble filling out the "legal actions" section? It says to list all convictions except for parking violations. Now, I wanted to ask the SDN community about this because I have had my share of speeding tickets, and like one running a stop sign ticket (just like a lot of people). I haven't had anything serious just minor traffic stuff. I called AACOMAS and asked about how to list this but they said they cannot give me "legal advice". I wanted to ask you guys about how y'all answered this question, and how y'all listed all of your speeding tickets and stuff because I honestly can't remember when my last ticket was. since it has been a while.
I think they are referring to misdemeanors and felonies. Some states speeding tickets are misdemeanors so depends on the state.

I think they are referring to misdemeanors and felonies. Some states speeding tickets are misdemeanors so depends on the state.

Yeah and I live in one of those states. Which is really unfortunate because it's just speeding.

Yeah and I live in one of those states. Which is really unfortunate because it's just speeding.

So you shall share. But not to worry! I don't think they care about speeding tickets as much. I think if you click yes they let you explain. ADCOMs will understand. Everyone gets speeding ticket some day.

If I submit my application July 25th.. what kind of verification date am I looking at?

If I submit my application July 25th.. what kind of verification date am I looking at?
Probably 2-4 weeks depending on how many schools you are applying to and how many transcripts from different schools that you have on your application. Mayyybe a little longer than that because the cycle is revving up now. But at least so far through July it has taken people between 1-3 weeks. So I figure for August maybe add a week on there.

Probably 2-4 weeks depending on how many schools you are applying to and how many transcripts from different schools that you have on your application. Mayyybe a little longer than that because the cycle is revving up now. But at least so far through July it has taken people between 1-3 weeks. So I figure for August maybe add a week on there.

why the number of schools that applicant apply to may be a factor for the time of processing?

I applied June 25th with everything in. I am still not verified yet. sigh! I have 3 transcript (with 2 transcript each has 1 and 4 classes respectively and the third one is from the school I completed 99% of the coursework at).
idk...

why the number of schools that applicant apply to may be a factor for the time of processing?

I applied June 25th with everything in. I am still not verified yet. sigh! I have 3 transcript (with 2 transcript each has 1 and 4 classes respectively and the third one is from the school I completed 99% of the coursework at).
idk...
So basically the more schools that you apply to, the longer it takes. This is because (as you will see) AACOMAS cross checks with the requirements set at each school and has to make copies of your application (with these requirements) for each one. So basically once it is verified you will get an application for each school. All of them look exactly the same EXCEPT deep inside on like page 7 or something there is a small list of requirements and they will place all of your courses on that list to say how many of each course you have for each requirement and what your grades were. So for instance if they require a biochem class, they will put all of your biochem classes in this little section, they will say how many credits you took in biochem and what your gpa is for biochem courses. So imagine having to do that for every requirement for every school, it can take some time. Every school has slightly different requirements.

I didnt understand it either until I went through the process. Somewhere deep in this thread I also whined about how long it takes and why does the number of schools you apply to matter haha. It makes a lot more sense after it actually gets verified and you can see the application that the schools receive.

So basically the more schools that you apply to, the longer it takes. This is because (as you will see) AACOMAS cross checks with the requirements set at each school and has to make copies of your application (with these requirements) for each one. So basically once it is verified you will get an application for each school. All of them look exactly the same EXCEPT deep inside on like page 7 or something there is a small list of requirements and they will place all of your courses on that list to say how many of each course you have for each requirement and what your grades were. So for instance if they require a biochem class, they will put all of your biochem classes in this little section, they will say how many credits you took in biochem and what your gpa is for biochem courses. So imagine having to do that for every requirement for every school, it can take some time. Every school has slightly different requirements.

I didnt understand it either until I went through the process. Somewhere deep in this thread I also whined about how long it takes and why does the number of schools you apply to matter haha. It makes a lot more sense after it actually gets verified and you can see the application that the schools receive.

WHAT? are you serious?................ so like they made a separate electronic application for each school? they just don't send the application as is?

I wanna play safe so I submitted to 27 schools...............................................................only apply to DO school............I heard 20 schools is normal so never knew this happens! I regret it so much now

WHAT? are you serious?................ so like they made a separate electronic application for each school? they just don't send the application as is?

I wanna play safe so I submitted to 27 schools...............................................................only apply to DO school............I heard 20 schools is normal so never knew this happens! I regret it so much now
Exactly, currently on your list you have a little "receipt" tab next to each school. This will be replaced by a "view" tab where you can see the application that was sent to each school. About 90% of each application is exactly the same. But AACOMAS has to do the leg work to tell the schools if each of the requirements were met and how you did in those required classes.

You will be ok, truly. It will just mean a couple days longer. Regardless it still takes a couple weeks to go through their system. The difference of having a ton more schools is a few days, thats all.

I applied to western to get myself verified and rcvd a secondary last week. Just got my mcat score back yesterday and had it sent to aacomas. Is there anything I need to do to make sure western gets it?

If I submitted 8 primaries today, when do you think schools will get the apps to review?

You're over-thinking it. Completing 27 secondaries is what should really be scaring you, lol.

Reactions: 1 users
You're over-thinking it. Completing 27 secondaries is what should really be scaring you, lol.
Hahaha exactly! I have received 9 secondaries out of the 10 schools that I have applied to. I sent back 7 so far. And already I am like too burnt out to finish the other two. I have no clue how those people that apply to 15+ schools do it... the reality is that there is no way that their essays are as good as they could be... unless they have outrageous BS power and stamina.

Hahaha exactly! I have received 9 secondaries out of the 10 schools that I have applied to. I sent back 7 so far. And already I am like too burnt out to finish the other two. I have no clue how those people that apply to 15+ schools do it... the reality is that there is no way that their essays are as good as they could be... unless they have outrageous BS power and stamina.

I know, right? I don't know why, but writing just takes it all out of me. Cranking out my PS was possibly the most difficult thing I've had to motivate myself to do this year and is the ONLY reason I didn't submit for verification until this month. Oopsies.

I know, right? I don't know why, but writing just takes it all out of me. Cranking out my PS was possibly the most difficult thing I've had to motivate myself to do this year and is the ONLY reason I didn't submit for verification until this month. Oopsies.
As I think about finishing the other 2 secondaries, inside I try and convince myself that I would be plenty happy at one of those other 7 schools haha.

where are you applying??
UNECOM
VCOM-VC
PCOM
Rowan
CUSOM
NOVA
ACOM
MUCOM
DMU
KCUMB

I am sitting on the PCOM and UNECOM secondary and I am waiting on the Rowan secondary. The others are sent in. I just find that I would probably be really content going to VCOM or MUCOM or something so I am having a hard time willing myself to finish the others. PCOM's secondary isnt too bad and its a good school, so I will likely get theirs done within the next day or two. UNECOM's is kind of longer and the more I researched, I dont know if my wife and I could really make it happen up there, so I cant believe myself, but I may not turn back their secondary.

UNECOM
VCOM-VC
PCOM
Rowan
CUSOM
NOVA
ACOM
MUCOM
DMU
KCUMB

I am sitting on the PCOM and UNECOM secondary and I am waiting on the Rowan secondary. The others are sent in. I just find that I would probably be really content going to VCOM or MUCOM or something so I am having a hard time willing myself to finish the others. PCOM's secondary isnt too bad and its a good school, so I will likely get theirs done within the next day or two. UNECOM's is kind of longer and the more I researched, I dont know if my wife and I could really make it happen up there, so I cant believe myself, but I may not turn back their secondary.

Mind sharing wha your stats were? I feel like you and I were very similar...

Mind sharing wha your stats were? I feel like you and I were very similar...
Sure, np. 3.6 s/cgpa. 28 (9,9,10) MCAT. 24 y/o white male. Graduated 2012 from a small liberal arts college in MD. Like 10,000 hours of research (currently work at a medical school). A couple hundred hours of clinical (worked as a medical assistant). Shadowed about 90 hours (got a DO letter). A few hundred hours of non-clinical volunteer. A few other work and EC stuff thrown in, but thats about the gist of it. Shooting to get into a school within roughly 6 hours of MD (where my wife's and my families live). But I will go to a midwest school (specifically DMU or KCUMB) just because they are so awesome.

If I remember correctly, you have a slightly higher MCAT but a slight lower GPA right?

Sure, np. 3.6 s/cgpa. 28 (9,9,10) MCAT. 24 y/o white male. Graduated 2012 from a small liberal arts college in MD. Like 10,000 hours of research (currently work at a medical school). A couple hundred hours of clinical (worked as a medical assistant). Shadowed about 90 hours (got a DO letter). A few hundred hours of non-clinical volunteer. A few other work and EC stuff thrown in, but thats about the gist of it. Shooting to get into a school within roughly 6 hours of MD (where my wife's and my families live). But I will go to a midwest school (specifically DMU or KCUMB) just because they are so awesome.

If I remember correctly, you have a slightly higher MCAT but a slight lower GPA right?

Yeah we're pretty similar, 3.5 sgpa/3.3cgpa/3.9 post bacc/30 MCAT

I'm going to have a wife (as of next weekend!) by the time I start, so location is important for me as well. We both really love the west coast and want to stay in california, but I am applying to NOVA and Marian as well as I've heard good things....perhaps we'll be classmates!

I volunteered as an academic tutor and am now a private tutor. Should I just put it all under work experience and mention that I did it as voluntary work (including hours)?

Hi guys! I have a similar question! I tried searching the thread but no dice. Do we have to list each volunteer/etc activity separately or can we lump them together under a title like "Medical Volunteer Work" and give a cumulative total, etc? It's how I filled out my AMCAS, but I wasn't sure if it'd fly for AACOMAS.

Secondary essays: is it a big deal if they are merely average? I'm not a great writer

Yeah we're pretty similar, 3.5 sgpa/3.3cgpa/3.9 post bacc/30 MCAT

I'm going to have a wife (as of next weekend!) by the time I start, so location is important for me as well. We both really love the west coast and want to stay in california, but I am applying to NOVA and Marian as well as I've heard good things....perhaps we'll be classmates!
dannnggg son congrats! I wish you the best of luck. Our first year anniversary was a couple weeks back. It has been the best year of my life.

And perhaps we will be classmates. I have always wondered how many people I have talked to on here will end up sitting next to me in class haha.

Secondary essays: is it a big deal if they are merely average? I'm not a great writer
I mean all in all, your regardless of everything else, your GPA and MCAT is like 90% of your application. People contest this, but the proof is in the pudding. If this wasnt true then school's matriculant stats would be all over the board, but generally speaking a school knows what GPA and MCAT they want from their students. Having said that, your PS and secondaries are a good way to get noticed and invited to an interview, which is obviously the first big step towards acceptance. Thats about all they are good for; once the interview happens the discussions behind closed doors are pretty much about MCAT, GPA, and interview.

Hi guys! I have a similar question! I tried searching the thread but no dice. Do we have to list each volunteer/etc activity separately or can we lump them together under a title like "Medical Volunteer Work" and give a cumulative total, etc? It's how I filled out my AMCAS, but I wasn't sure if it'd fly for AACOMAS.
If they are different activities and/or are at different places then list them separately. As far as I know you have unlimited activity space on AACOMAS. But just remember that quality is better than quantity.

oh i heard some schools' secondaries are like fill in stuff and no essays so yea.........I will probably turn in like 10-15 but I don't want to apply more later if that happens so yea!

oh i heard some schools' secondaries are like fill in stuff and no essays so yea.........I will probably turn in like 10-15 but I don't want to apply more later if that happens so yea!
Of my 9 so far only I think 1 has been a fill in (NOVA). Most have 3 essays on average. Some essays have been easy, some have been pretty annoyingly hard.

Will editing the EC or work section affect processing? I would hate to make slight changes and lose my place in line

Where are people entering poster presentations/conferences? Is this even worth entering??

Guys,

Major question, I am submitting tonight, but I needed to know if I had gotten an incomplete, but the correct grade has already been replaced. Do I still need to have listed as incomplete like AAMCAS and then do a repeat thing, or do I just enter it as it is? (with no incomplete showing)