AADSAS Disadvantaged Status ADHD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

deezgrillz

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If a person was diagnosed with ADHD, should he/she mention this under the disadvantaged status portion of the application?

thanks y'all

Members don't see this ad.

This is only my opinion, but I would be worried about accepting a student with ADHD into a dental program regardless of their previous academic performance. I might be way off, but I would not mention it.

interesting... anyone else?

Members don't see this ad :)
That section mostly discusses your background. They list things like social, economic, or educational. I don't know that I'd delve into the world of medical history.

The followup questions all deal with geography, income level, medically undeserved areas, quality of schools available to you.

I think it could be risky. If the people reading this are well-informed about the conditions of the disorder, then this could be very beneficial. Having such a disorder can certainly make it difficult to attain the same GPA as another person even with the same knowledge/understanding of the material. From what I've seen, dentistry is the perfect profession for someone with ADHD (just my opinion). An issue can arise though, if the individual responding to this information is ill-informed. They could potentially see it as a red flag, and will blind themselves to anything else...

I would leave it out. I got diagnosed with ADD in high school and prescribed medication, but I didn't put that on my application. Focus on your positives. Plus ADD/ADHD is one of those weird things where some people are on board with it and recognize it as a legitimate neurological condition, while others dismiss it offhand because they they think it's an excuse to medicate kids. You can never know what the opinion of the person reading your application is, so just play it safe.

I would leave it out. I got diagnosed with ADD in high school and prescribed medication, but I didn't put that on my application. Focus on your positives. Plus ADD/ADHD is one of those weird things where some people are on board with it and recognize it as a legitimate neurological condition, while others dismiss it offhand because they they think it's an excuse to medicate kids. You can never know what the opinion of the person reading your application is, so just play it safe.

thanks for tha input bru

hey, i have a similar question that's kinda bothering me

i've only been diagnosed with attentive ADHD this past april.

i thought it was just a lack of discipline so i tried tackling school with my own willpower (whatever little i had)

i ended up with roughly a 3.3 - 3.5 ish through 4 years of undergrad without proper medication, while getting decent scores on the DAT also
RC - 19
bio - 21
chem - 21
AA - 20
SA - 21
PA - 24

now i'm on meds and i seem to be significantly more able and focused on what i study

considering this, would it be appropriate to consider it a disadvantage?

i know its not as big as financial disadvantage and life-altering moments, but it is quite something for me,
to know that i've been held limited from my full potential, only to find out so late and still achieve what i have so far(not great, but not bad either).

Bottom line is that ADHD isn't what theyre looking for when they ask about disadvantaged background. Don't put it.

I would leave it out! I'd stick to more dire situations.