Abysmal MCAT with 3.9 GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lifeguard2014

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all I just received my MCAT score yesterday and the initial shock finally wore off. I got a 503 with a break down of (126/123/125/129). Obviously CARS killed me. This was the lowest score I have received, practice tests were consistently in the 507-509 range, and I was praying for that test push to pull me up to a 510-512.

My GPA is very strong, and I have decent EC. I have an internship with NorthShore this summer, which is affiliated with Pritzker, and over 200 hours of community service, along with research. Also, I have held a job since first semester freshman year. Despite the rest of my app being strong I feel like I shouldn't apply this wave because I really want MD. I am from Illinois and would love to stay in state or consider a Florida school. Any advice/insight would be much appreciated.

P.S I am Chilean and Argentinian, but I'm not sure if that is considered URM, I have gotten a mixed message on this

Members don't see this ad.

You could receive MD interviews if you apply broadly this month and submit all your secondaries by August. I suggest these schools:
U Illinois
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Rush
Medical College Wisconsin
St. Louis
Creighton
Oakland Beaumont
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
GW
Georgetown
Tulane

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you so much for answering and giving me suggestions!

Should I plan on taking the MCAT again? I have already started looking at classes to take. I know I won't feel ready by September, so I would like to take in January or February.
You could receive MD interviews if you apply broadly this month and submit all your secondaries by August. I suggest these schools:
U Illinois
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Rush
Medical College Wisconsin
St. Louis
Creighton
Oakland Beaumont
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
GW
Georgetown
Tulane
ould

Members don't see this ad :)
A January MCAT will not help you this cycle but if you are scoring above 508 on your practice tests it would be worth retaking in case you need to reapply next year.

Hey all I just received my MCAT score yesterday and the initial shock finally wore off. I got a 503 with a break down of (126/123/125/129). Obviously CARS killed me. This was the lowest score I have received, practice tests were consistently in the 507-509 range, and I was praying for that test push to pull me up to a 510-512.

My GPA is very strong, and I have decent EC. I have an internship with NorthShore this summer, which is affiliated with Pritzker, and over 200 hours of community service, along with research. Also, I have held a job since first semester freshman year. Despite the rest of my app being strong I feel like I shouldn't apply this wave because I really want MD. I am from Illinois and would love to stay in state or consider a Florida school. Any advice/insight would be much appreciated.

P.S I am Chilean and Argentinian, but I'm not sure if that is considered URM, I have gotten a mixed message on this
The MCAT score is circling the drain for MD.

I suggest:

Loma Linda (only if you are SDA or a very devout Christian)

Loyola

VCU

Oakland U Beaumont

WVU

Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)

Your state school(s).

The three PR schools that take mainlanders if your Spanish is excellent

Any DO school, starting with MUCOM, DMU and CCOM

The MCAT score is circling the drain for MD.

I suggest:

Loma Linda (only if you are SDA or a very devout Christian)

Loyola

VCU

Oakland U Beaumont

WVU

Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)

Your state school(s).

The three PR schools that take mainlanders if your Spanish is excellent

Any DO school, starting with MUCOM, DMU and CCOM
When applying to state schools would it be asinine to apply to the University of Chicago and Northwestern? UofC is my dream, and if I don't get in this wave, I am retaking the MCAT and trying again, but I wouldn't want to kill my chance of ever getting in because I am a reapplicant.

When applying to state schools would it be asinine to apply to the University of Chicago and Northwestern? UofC is my dream, and if I don't get in this wave, I am retaking the MCAT and trying again, but I wouldn't want to kill my chance of ever getting in because I am a reapplicant.
My apologies. When I wrote "state schools", I meant U IL, L and add SIU IF you live in the southern part of the state. UC and NW are private schools. Applying to them would be merely a donation. They don't need the money.