Acceptance in dental school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Futuremeindentistry

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dat 20 RC 14

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Will give you straight. Everything possible, but not with RC=14 especially with this section being important for most schools. Definitely retake the DAT. I had RC=15 and zero success, then by working on the reading strategies and having many practices I got 19, which helped me to get into schools. I suggest applying early June for everything to verify and retake the DAT in late June. This will be still early. Good luck!

Reactions: 3 users
Since you have applied last year have you retaken the DAT? If I am being honest, with a sub 3.0 gpa and a 14 on the RC section of the DAT, I would say your chances are next to none with your current stats. BUT if you were able take this next year to get your gpa above a 3.0 and your DAT sections 20+ you would have a much better chance.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I've seen people getting into Penn with RC 18 so bring up your score a bit will give you a chance.

I know someone that got into UDM with the same stats but they just got in a month ago. They also had years of experience as a hygienist. Otherwise that RC will hurt you.

Are you a non-traditional student? Are you a URM? I would be incredibly surprised if you get into dental school with a sub 3.0 gpa and 19 dat. You are going to need some very good extracurriculars, raise your gpa with a post bacc/smp, and retake the dat to be competitive.

Reactions: 1 user
I would retake the dat and take more courses to improve the gpa and reach at least 3.1 GPA!
Even if you apply this june, you need to retake and update schools with the new DAT and put planned courses, so they know you are working hard to improve your GPA.