Acceptance into a Texas DPT program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cathi Smith

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
My stats
Prereq: 3.73 (I think it slightly varies per school, depending on their pre-reqs. I have 2 B's.)
Overall: 3.87
Last 60: 3.82
Observation hours: Will have 400 in 6 diff settings
I also have various awards, research, meaningful volunteering projects, and leadership positions in student organizations.
GRE: 150 V/167 Q, 5 AW (2nd time), 152 V/162 Q, 4 AW (1st time)

I am interested in applying to the UT schools and TWU.
Can anyone who got into UTMB post their stats and when they applied?
If I apply in early July, do my chances of getting in increase?

Members don't see this ad.

My stats
Prereq: 3.73 (I think it slightly varies per school, depending on their pre-reqs. I have 2 B's.)
Overall: 3.87
Last 60: 3.82
Observation hours: Will have 400 in 6 diff settings
I also have various awards, research, meaningful volunteering projects, and leadership positions in student organizations.
GRE: 150 V/167 Q, 5 AW (2nd time), 152 V/162 Q, 4 AW (1st time)

I am interested in applying to the UT schools and TWU.
Can anyone who got into UTMB post their stats and when they applied?
If I apply in early July, do my chances of getting in increase?
With those stats unless you just bomb your essays and have bad rec letters you'll get into a few/all the schools you apply to.

I consider myself a sort of special case because of my background/experience but I got into UTEP and Angelo State with a 3.24 cGPA.

Reactions: 1 user
If you apply early into UTMB, I think your chances will be better. One of our techs had a lower GRE score than yours and only took it once, got wait-listed, and accepted a few weeks later. She applied early and also attended their first interview session. Her GRE score was ONLY a 142!! Not sure how normal that is, but it worked for her.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi @Cathi Smith !
So I applied to PT school during the 2016-2017 cycle! My stats at the time of application were:

cumulative GPA: 3.94
pre-req GPA: 3.97-4.0
Last 60: 3.9
GRE: 153V, 160Q, 4.5AW
I only had 206 hours in outpatient ortho, inpatient neuro, SNF, aquatics and hippo-therapy

Regarding UTMB, I got an interview on Nov. 4th and got accepted on Nov. 8th. Regarding TWU (Houston), I unofficially found out that I was accepted (over the phone) on September 28th, and received the official acceptance email on October 7th.

I think you have amazing stats!! Congrats on that quantitative GRE score, it's near perfection, super impressive! :) Make sure you write a really good essay and you bring your personality during interviews because it matters just as much!! I think the sooner you can submit your completed application, the better, but don't rush it, make sure you give yourself time to make it as good as it can be! I submitted mine on August 10th and it got verified by PTCAS on August 22nd. Your chance of getting in increases the earlier you submit your application only if the school you're applying to has rolling admission. Hope that helps!

Not sure if you already have the complete list of the schools you're applying to, but I also applied to Angelo State, UNT, and Texas State (along with TWU and UTMB), so if you have any questions about any of these schools, don't hesitate :) I just completed my first year of PT school at Texas State

I'm a little late to the game because I just decided to switch from OT to PT this summer, so I'm trying to get as many hours as I can. I'm planning on doing 80 hours each in two settings (out-patient and in-patient hospital). Should I try to add a 3rd setting and stay at each setting for ~60 hours each, or should I stay at those two settings longer to hopefully get a better letter of recommendation? Thanks!!

Even though I am applying liberally, across the USA, what are my chances for acceptance to any ($100k and less) Texas DPT program:

University: Large Texas University

Major: Kinesiology - Motor Behavior
Psych Minor

Overall: 3.09
Pre-req: 3.522
GRE: 150Q 154V 4.0

Extracurricular: Undergrad PT club VP, Player/Coach Quidditch, Volunteer - Special Olympics

Volunteer Hours: Inpatient (12), Outpatient (91)

Employment: Student Library Assistant, Counselor - After School Program.

Applied: (October 2017) AT Still, Marshall, University of Mary, and Western Kentucky.

2017 Cycle:
Interview: Marshall.
Waitlist:
Denied: Marshall, University of Mary.
Accepted:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Last edited:
I definitely recommend applying as early as you can without compromising quality. I applied early and have received responses from some schools much earlier than expected. I'm 95% sure I'm going to a school that's already offered me acceptance, but I'm still planning to do a couple interviews with a few schools to confirm.

Even if you don't do ED, applying early and being competitive can put you into those first interview times with the ED that give you a better chance of being offered acceptance or at least deferred to regular decision timing. Also some schools won't list they're rolling but they'll look earlier or if they look after deadlines they tend to look in the order they're received I think. I think if you know where you want to go, applying ED is advantageous. However, I did not know where I wanted to be and am still doing alright and hearing back from schools periodically.