Acceptance Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Snail mail... I was expecting email, because that's what the dept. head had specified, but super-helpful-admissions-guy said snail mail. UGH.

Members don't see this ad.

that sucks, im in canada, so itll take awhile.

i was expecting email too

Snail mail... I was expecting email, because that's what the dept. head had specified, but super-helpful-admissions-guy said snail mail. UGH.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has any one here gotten an acceptance at TC for clinical? You can PM me if you'd like. Thanks!

I was thrilled to get accepted to Loyola last week, one of my top two choices right now. If there is anyone here also accepted, a student there, or familiar with the program, could you PM me or post?? I was thinking Loyola was definitely my top choice, but am now not so sure because they are being kind of vague with me about details of the offer (funding, mentor). If anyone has any thoughts or knowledge about Loyola, I would really appreciate hearing from you!!

Thanks paramour, Loyola chicago clinical psych ph.D.

Did anyone apply for clinical psych PhD at LIU-Brooklyn campus??? Have you heard back yet and how did you hear?

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you get in? If you don't mind answering. I have "the envelope" waiting at home but I won't be back for a few days and I'm preparing for the worst since I'm assuming they would have called me had I gotten in.

Did you get in? If you don't mind answering. I have "the envelope" waiting at home but I won't be back for a few days and I'm preparing for the worst since I'm assuming they would have called me had I gotten in.
I'm on the waitlist

Well congrats then!! Better than nothing, right? I don't know if I would end up going there depending on a few other schools but having the option is always a good thing. I have no idea how they narrowed 100 people down from only two mass interview days.

I see that FDU has been listed on the acceptance list. Has anyone here received acceptances? Thanks!

I just got offered admission at Hofstra!!!!!!!!!!! Yeyyyyy, my first acceptance:D!

To all those who recieved an acceptance over the phone... the professor I talked with said I won't be getting anything in the mail for a couple weeks, meanwhile I wish she'd emailed so I have something to look at... know what I mean? Would it be alright to email her and ask for some kind of acceptance email??

Has anyone heard anything from Pace, post interview?

The secretary called me, I'm not sure if they'll be also sending something official

Because Hofstra subscribes to the resolution by the Council of Graduate School, they have to send you something in writing by April 1.

In my experience, it takes a week or so after the school notifies by phone to receive the written offer.

I got an acceptance in the mail today from LIU-Brooklyn's Clincal Psych Ph.D. program. :)

It's my first acceptance (and fully funded), so I'm really excited. It was also my top choice (I was really impressed on interview day), so I'm over the moon. I was away from home for a couple of days, and when I returned I found the letter and a message on my answering machine from the professor I interviewed with.

I know someone else who received a letter from them on Saturday saying they were on the waiting list, so I guess they're letting everyone know their status via snail mail.

I got an acceptance in the mail today from LIU-Brooklyn's Clincal Psych Ph.D. program. :)

Congratulations! Dr. Ramirez, the department chair, was an undergraduate professor of mine at Hunter College many years ago. Great guy.

Congrats eliza. Ok so no call was made just an envelope waiting. Probably not great news....
Also--how are you getting it fully funded? I was under the impression it was 50% tuition remission....??

To all those who recieved an acceptance over the phone... the professor I talked with said I won't be getting anything in the mail for a couple weeks, meanwhile I wish she'd emailed so I have something to look at... know what I mean? Would it be alright to email her and ask for some kind of acceptance email??

First, congrats on your acceptance! Where is it? Do you think you will accept?

I would be cautious about doing this, just because it might make it seem as though you don't trust what you were told over the phone. Remember that if you think you're going to accept this program, the person you're seeming not to trust is your new mentor! I got an acceptance last week and have been impatiently waiting for the package they said would come this week (I know, it's only Tuesday but patience is NOT my strong suit!) so I understand your frustration.

Having said that first sentence, though, they can't retract an acceptance, so what's the harm in asking for an email with the graduate student handbook or the curriculum along with an acknowledgement of your acceptance?...I don't know.

What does everyone else think?

First, congrats on your acceptance! Where is it? Do you think you will accept?

I would be cautious about doing this, just because it might make it seem as though you don't trust what you were told over the phone. Remember that if you think you're going to accept this program, the person you're seeming not to trust is your new mentor! I got an acceptance last week and have been impatiently waiting for the package they said would come this week (I know, it's only Tuesday but patience is NOT my strong suit!) so I understand your frustration.

Having said that first sentence, though, they can't retract an acceptance, so what's the harm in asking for an email with the graduate student handbook or the curriculum along with an acknowledgement of your acceptance?...I don't know.

What does everyone else think?

I would not directly ask..I know it's hard to be patient and I definitely remember thinking "did that really happen?" and wishing I had something written. What I did was write the professor an email thank you after they called just expressing again that I was thankful for the offer. They wrote me back and then I felt like i had some written confirmation without directly asking for it.

Yay, i've got acceptance from Suffolk. The first one, and probably the only one. There are many things I like about suffolk, but I still hesitated about accepting the offer as they don't seem to be strong in research, and I 'm not sure about their reputation.

Anyone has other thoughts about thier reputation, esp. the neuropsychology specialization? Do you think it's good?

It's so tough to go through the application process... and I really don't wanna do it all over again next year. Plus, with my credentials, I am not optimistic about getting into higher ranking programs. However, it's a big decision, and i don't wanna make a wrong one just becoz i slack about applying all over again...

Any thoughts on that?

Hi All,

First: CONGRATS on the acceptances!!! I am so excited to hear about some firmed up plans!!!

Second:

I know you are all playing the same "waiting game" as I am, so you'll be able to sympathize and, perhaps, offer some advice. I know exactly where I stand with 5 of the 6 schools I interviewed with. The sixth (and outstanding school) is certainly one of my favorites, so I'd really like to know where I stand.

I contacted the professor last Tuesday (today is Wednesday). That day he told me that the department had been really impressed with me and that they "would all love to get me there." He also said they were certainly not finished with their decisions, and still had one person yet to interview. He said he'd given out one offer, and was checking to see how many offers could be made. This school interviewed 11-12 people, and I feel as though a class size is 6-7.

With this information in mind, when would be an appropriate time to contact this professor again? Is one week enough time to "check in" without being a nag? Would it be apropriate to check in EVER between now and April 15? Basically, what is an apripriate timeline?

Yay, i've got acceptance from Suffolk. The first one, and probably the only one. There are many things I like about suffolk, but I still hesitated about accepting the offer as they don't seem to be strong in research, and I 'm not sure about their reputation.

Anyone has other thoughts about thier reputation, esp. the neuropsychology specialization? Do you think it's good?

Besides, do you think whether a prof have grant is an important factor? If you have a choice, would you rather work with a prof with more years of experience but lack of grant or a young prof who may have better chance for grant application? (given that they both share similar interests with you)

It's so tough to go through the application process... and I really don't wanna do it all over again next year. Plus, with my credentials, I am not optimistic about getting into higher ranking programs. However, it's a big decision, and i don't wanna make a wrong one just becoz i slack about applying all over again...

Any thoughts on that?

To hijack the thread, I'll post again.

Fishball, Congrats on an acceptance!!! These are few and far between :)

check and see the match stats and post-grad careers of folks at Suffolk. If people are matching for internship, and grads have careers that seem interesting to you, then don't hedge your bets, just go there! Grad school is what you make it, if you work hard, then Suffolk will get you places.

That's my two cents.

Has anyone heard from MSU post-interview?

I got into u of m today...good luck everybody and thanks for all your help!

Hi All,

I contacted the professor last Tuesday (today is Wednesday). That day he told me that the department had been really impressed with me and that they "would all love to get me there." He also said they were certainly not finished with their decisions, and still had one person yet to interview. He said he'd given out one offer, and was checking to see how many offers could be made. This school interviewed 11-12 people, and I feel as though a class size is 6-7.

With this information in mind, when would be an appropriate time to contact this professor again? Is one week enough time to "check in" without being a nag? Would it be apropriate to check in EVER between now and April 15? Basically, what is an apripriate timeline?

I think one week is too soon to check in. Give it at least one more week, maybe two. Being patient sucks - I know I'm in almost exactly the same boat. But I mentioned to someone in another thread that if you nag them, and it gets on their nerves, it could have an unconscious effect on their decision ("do I really want this person around me for the next 5 years??"). Just hang on a bit longer.

:D I just heard today by phone from my POI at UNC Chapel Hill (adult clinical) and I'm in!!!! YAY!

Good luck guys...it sounds like they have letters still waiting to go out...so there may still be hope.

I/O Psych PhD. heard from POI by telephone, Central Michigan University

Just got an email acceptance to Xavier! Yay!

Also, I followed (with some MAJOR edits, lol) psychopeful's model for an email and contacted my POI at my #1 choice. I'm very high on the waitlist, according to her reply. So glad I emailed - it's nice to at least know they haven't rejected me (yet).

I just received an email acceptance to Pacific University (Oregon). Should receive the letter sometime next week.

Hey... has anyone heard back from the University of Florida, post-interview?

i got an acceptance for northeastern's counseling phd....BUT, they decided to accept more people this year, with the caveat that not everyone will get full funding...so, some people got full tuition + stipend, and others (myself included) just got half tuition and no stipend-- quite a discrepancy from the other funding package! i still have to hear from 2 other schools, but i am really bummed about the deal this school provides (if the funding was better i would SERIOUSLY consider going here)...argh...

I haven't heard back from UF. Did they say when they would let us know? I imagine it would take awhile since they interviewed 55 applicants.
Anyone heard from SLU? They told me they would know by today, but I haven't heard anything...
For UF, what track are you? I'm health...

I am on the neuropsych track. There was talk at the interviews about them letting us know between Monday and today but I don't know if that was true. I was just curious! It does seem like it would take longer since they interviewed so many...

A few interviewees mentioned that UF would be notifying them between this Friday and early next week.

I didn't know there were so many UF people here. :D I asked a few people at the interview but none of them had heard of SDN!

I too have heard nothing. I am on the health track.

At the interview, I also heard from students that we should hear within a week or two. I don't know if their spring break being this week will affect anything..

For those waiting to hear from Univ. of Memphis they have begun to notify candidates of their status (via email from POI in my case). Good luck!

Congratulations! I was also accepted to LIU (phone call and snail mail), clinical PhD.

I was reading someone else's post before, however, and am really confused. At my interview (which was not one one of the mass interview days because I had a conflict) they said the max. you can receive is 50% tuition remission plus a small stipend. That is what they offered me. Are they really offering other people full funding?! I wonder why they told me that half is the absolute maximum. Anyone know? Can the previous poster clarify for me (PM or in here, whichever you prefer).

On a different note, is anyone accepting their LIU offers?

Oh, I was also accepted to Pepperdine's PsyD (phone call last night from my interviewer, who said to expect a package in the mail. Also, if you are waiting, don't panic because he indicated that they are just starting to phone people).

Waitlisted at Rutger's PsyD. Oh well.