Accepted, Fall 2011!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
GRE: 610V, 720Q, 5.0A
Undergrad GPA: 3.7/5.0 + one-off postbac courses at various institutions
3 years since graduation... no health care experience

Applied for Global/International Health concentration at all schools

Admitted: JHU (MSPH), Tufts
Waiting on: GWU, USF (currently taking classes as non-degree seeking here)

...I'll probably enroll at Johns Hopkins... pretty excited

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else out there on the Wait List for the SM in Epi at Harvard? I received notification last week, but I haven't seen any others post that they were waitlisted.

I was this year and last year for MPH... My hopes are not high

Long time lurker, finally commenting!

BU-MCH: I spoke with the office on Friday, and they said decisions should be available by the week of the 29th. :mad:

U Mich-HB: Still waiting, as I applied late. I talked to the office today and they said I should have a decision before the end of the month. The admissions officer estimated that there are apx 30 more apps to be considered. She also told me that the committee meets once a week and there is no wait list for this concentration.

Emory: accepted to Global Health

Tulane: accepted to Global MCH

GWU: accepted to MCH

UT Houston: accepted to Health Services Org

UPitt: Accepted to BCHS

I am quite anxious and ready to make a decision. I am out of the country, so I will not be attending any visit weekends. I plan to visit UPitt in April. Based on price and my desire to go to med school I will likely end up at UPitt. Also love all the funding they have from NIH and the low cost of living. Mich and Emory are 2 and 3, respectively. I went to undergrad in the South, so I'm also interested in moving up North.

Would love to hear how others feel about UPitt! :cool:

Last edited:
I just got an email back from the administrative support in the office of HB @ UMich and I have been recommended for admission. SUPER EXCITED!

So I feel like I've been doing this weekly, but I'm getting kind of annoyed. Who else is still waiting on Columbia? I applied to the MPH in Epi and haven't heard anything. I'm so tired of waiting on them. Just tell me already if I'm rejected or waitlisted or whatever. argh

So I feel like I've been doing this weekly, but I'm getting kind of annoyed. Who else is still waiting on Columbia? I applied to the MPH in Epi and haven't heard anything. I'm so tired of waiting on them. Just tell me already if I'm rejected or waitlisted or whatever. argh

Also still waiting. I feel your pain. And reciprocate the frustration.

If it makes you feel better, I was also waiting forever on Columbia (submitted my application on December 5th). I finally heard back last week (march 16th) and was accepted! also MPH Epi

Also still waiting. I feel your pain. And reciprocate the frustration.

What are your stats? I'm sure you posted them at some point, but I hate going back through 30 pages of posts. My app has been complete with them since December 3rd, but was submitted initially (with everything but the LORs) on October 12th.

Hey Epi2013,

Wow - you were really on top of things - submitted in October! I can see why you are frustrated...

My columbia application was switched from the MS to MPH in January, per the Adcom recommendation. I suspect that this could have slowed things down for me, but this was never confirmed. I did have contact with someone at admissions who was very nice and helpful, but just said 'we hope to have all decisions out by the end of march'

My stats:
GPA: 3.7, interdisciplinary science degree from canadian university
GRE: 770Q 670V 5.5
Experience: 3 years working in university research setting, first as RA, then research coordinator, co-authored a few articles and several presentations
All LORs from health research faculty

Accepted: UW Epi (MCH track), Harvard SM2 Epi, Emory MSPH Epi, Columbia MPH Epi, UBC (Canada)
Rejected: Berkeley
Still waiting: JHU MHS Epi

What are your stats? I'm sure you posted them at some point, but I hate going back through 30 pages of posts. My app has been complete with them since December 3rd, but was submitted initially (with everything but the LORs) on October 12th.

Congrats on all your acceptances! Your stats are significantly better than mine, but I currently have 3 great options to choose from so my probable Columbia rejection won't hurt as much. Thanks for posting!

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got accepted into Emory's Behavioral Science and Health Education program! I was waitlisted for my first choice dept with them (Global Health), but am still excited to have an acceptance. So right now it's between Emory BSHE or Columbia Global Health in the PopFam Dept (although I want to try and switch to Forced Migration and Health if I do end up attending).

I'm still waiting to hear from Tulane (Global Health Systems) and Berkeley (Health and Social Behavior).

I already am having a tough time deciding between these two, even without news from the others! If anyone has any insight on either of the programs (or Tulane and Berkeley in the event that I do get in), it would be much appreciated, thanks! I know there's lots of info. already posted about all of these in other threads, which I have read a lot of, but anything new to add would be great.

Congrats on your acceptance! That's encouragement. A letter coming in the mail from JHU does not necessarily mean a rejection.

Like the post previously I got my acceptance letter for JHU via snail mail for the MHS prgoram in Social Factors in Health... I did, however, call the department person to ask if a letter was ready. Even though she had not mailed it yet I asked her if she could email me the letter, which she kindly did. Hope this is helpful.

It seems like a letter from JHU does not necessarily mean a rejection. Perhaps it depends on the department. Because some have reported bad news and other good news. I wish the PFRH dept would just tell me, so that I could know either way...

Like the post previously I got my acceptance letter for JHU via snail mail for the MHS prgoram in Social Factors in Health... I did, however, call the department person to ask if a letter was ready. Even though she had not mailed it yet I asked her if she could email me the letter, which she kindly did. Hope this is helpful.

Hey all,

I was just rejected from columbia today. But I'm attending Mount Sinai's program. It's not one of the most highly discussed schools, so I'm wondering if anybody on this forum is attending this fall?

Congrats on all who got into school!!

Hey all,

I was just rejected from columbia today. But I'm attending Mount Sinai's program. It's not one of the most highly discussed schools, so I'm wondering if anybody on this forum is attending this fall?

Congrats on all who got into school!!

I'm sorry to hear about Columbia. I'm still waiting to hear from them (as I'm sure everyone on SDN already knows) so I was wondering if you got an email telling you to check today and what time it was sent. I'm under the impression that they send a batch at a time, but if you didn't get it until this afternoon maybe they're still sending decisions today.

Congrats on getting into Mt. Sinai! I'm sure the experience will be amazing. :)

I'm sorry to hear about Columbia. I'm still waiting to hear from them (as I'm sure everyone on SDN already knows) so I was wondering if you got an email telling you to check today and what time it was sent. I'm under the impression that they send a batch at a time, but if you didn't get it until this afternoon maybe they're still sending decisions today.

Congrats on getting into Mt. Sinai! I'm sure the experience will be amazing. :)

Hey Epi2013,

I know you were still waiting on Columbia when I posted a while back. I called their office this morning and after being transferred to three different people and spending way too much time on hold, the response I received when asking about my application status was:
"you didn't receive a letter?"
to which I replied:
"I haven't heard from anyone since I applied in November".

The woman on the phone told me I would receive a letter today and I had an email about two minutes later offering me admission.

I have called at least a half a dozen times in the past few weeks, and though the news is good news, I feel like it's a little late in the game to consider a school that's been dragging me along for so well.

So there's still time! Hope this helps and good luck!

Thanks! Hopefully I'll have time to call them tomorrow during my lunch break.

I feel like I'm the only one still posting on this thread. I had planned to call Columbia today during lunch, but they beat me to it. I got the email to check my status: rejected.

It doesn't feel good, but it doesn't hurt that bad since I already have 3 acceptances.

Final tally:
Accepted: Tulane, GW, BU
Rejected: Yale, Emory, Columbia

Thanks everyone for posting and being so helpful throughout the process! :)

Got accepted to UT - Austin for a general MPH. I think I would have been extra excited had this arrived a few weeks ago but now I'm just feeling a bit wary. They also want me to respond by April 4th *sighs*.

So far, got 5 out of 10, and 50% acceptance rate was what I was going for so yay! Congrats and good luck to everyone else who has had to stick it out this long as well!

I feel like I'm the only one still posting on this thread. I had planned to call Columbia today during lunch, but they beat me to it. I got the email to check my status: rejected.

It doesn't feel good, but it doesn't hurt that bad since I already have 3 acceptances.

Final tally:
Accepted: Tulane, GW, BU
Rejected: Yale, Emory, Columbia

Thanks everyone for posting and being so helpful throughout the process! :)

Sorry to hear that Epi2013. I am still waiting for Columbia, yet I don't think I'll feel too bad if I get rejected. Don't know why honestly..lol.

Do you mind sharing what department you applied for and what your stats are?

Sorry to hear that Epi2013. I am still waiting for Columbia, yet I don't think I'll feel too bad if I get rejected. Don't know why honestly..lol.

Do you mind sharing what department you applied for and what your stats are?

I'm sure I posted it at some point, but it's a lot easier to repost than to look for it. I hope you'll get better news. I got to the point where I just didn't care anymore what the decision was as long as I found out soon.

Stats:
GRE: 680Q, 540V
UGPA: 3.34 (was initially a Biology major and switched to Public Health where I had an A in every class)
Minors in French and Chemistry
A lot of volunteering and 2 years of research
started working at my local health department in November 2010 in a program not related to Epi

I applied to Epi MPH as well as Global or Infectious Disease where available. I know my stats weren't outstanding, but I thought my SOP was pretty good and thought my LORs would be too.

Got accepted to UT - Austin for a general MPH. I think I would have been extra excited had this arrived a few weeks ago but now I'm just feeling a bit wary. They also want me to respond by April 4th *sighs*.

So far, got 5 out of 10, and 50% acceptance rate was what I was going for so yay! Congrats and good luck to everyone else who has had to stick it out this long as well!

Congrats! That is late for them to tell you and then expect a response. Sheesh! They asked for my response by April 4, as well, but I want them to extend it. I don't know if they want a deposit, do you??

need to prepare for UCLA EHS 100 waiver exam...anyone have any idea what to focus or study on???

Hi guys I am new to this thread... I had applied to JHU SPH and have been accepted in the progm..MPH (epidem and biostats)...so wud be attending in june...:)..So has anybody decided on accomodation....

Congrats! That is late for them to tell you and then expect a response. Sheesh! They asked for my response by April 4, as well, but I want them to extend it. I don't know if they want a deposit, do you??

Hey, thanks! Sorry for the late response - my email alert didn't show me that someone responded.

I called right after I found out and i was told that even though they prefer April 4th (my birthday btw), they can wait until April 15th. However, when I asked if there's any way to make that an official allowance, since I was talking to the coordinator of the dual degree program, and i was told that I'd be getting an email about it after she talked to some people but I didn't get that email yet.

I got accepted to CUNY Hunter College MPH Epidemiology & Biostatistics program. 1 down... 2 more to go... Waiting to hear from CUNY Graduate Center and SUNY Downstate. I applied to their doctoral programs in Public health. ::crossing fingers:::)

I just thought I'd post my final tally.

Stats: 3.56 in Biology, Public Health minor.
GRE: 760 q 510 v 4.5 w

Accepted: BU (global health, though I applied epi, with merit), GWU (epi), UMass (MS epi), Arizona (public health practice), tulane (epi/mch), Yale (policy), UAB (epi)
Rejected: Minnesota (epi), Harvard (global health)

April 15th is getting scary close. I'm sold on GWU, but I'm scared I won't be able to pay for anything since financial aid comes in June.

Accepted to Hunter College Epi and Biostatistics. Woooooooooooooooooo!

In at hopkins.....yay.....

this is such a relief.......I got two admission decisions today and both were positive.....I am sooooo relieved...

:) :) :)
My only concern is that I have been admitted to the MPH /HPM in hopkins and over the last 4 months, I am not sure if I am suited more to epidemiology....as I want to get into research more than into management....

I also have an admission in general public health from mailman..and since the decision from JHU took so long to come i kind of made up my mind to take epidemiology courses in General Public Health itself at mailman....(At the time of application I wanted to take management courses in mailman...)

Whatever.........I am so so happy right now.....this is a huge relief!

this is such a relief.......I got two admission decisions today and both were positive.....I am sooooo relieved...

My only concern is that I have been admitted to the MPH /HPM in hopkins and over the last 4 months, I am not sure if I am suited more to epidemiology....as I want to get into research more than into management....

I also have an admission in general public health from mailman..and since the decision from JHU took so long to come i kind of made up my mind to take epidemiology courses in General Public Health itself at mailman....(At the time of application I wanted to take management courses in mailman...)

Congratulations! It gives me hope to know they are still accepting people. :)

Congrats! You must have waited a really long time. I am hoping to here something positive from Hopkins them soon, I have been waiting a long time. But congrats, it's great to hear to good news from two schools in one day.

Forgive my typos I was talking to someone else and typing at the same time.

Congrats! You must have waited a really long time. I am hoping to here something positive from Hopkins them soon, I have been waiting a long time. But congrats, it's great to hear to good news from two schools in one day.

Hi everyone!
I've been following the blog for a while and thought I'd post my stats for future reference:

GRE: 640V, 660Q, 4.5W
UG GPA: 3.2 in Biochemistry, History
Applying straight from undergrad. Internships with the federal government, leadership in university organizations, volunteer experience, strong LORs.

Applied: (All MPH) UCLA (Epi), Berkeley (Infectious Diseases), BU (Epi), Ohio St (Veterinary Public Health)
Accepted: UCLA, Berkeley, BU, Ohio St
Final Decision: UCLA Epi :D

Congratulations! It gives me hope to know they are still accepting people. :)

I waited over 3 months...:)
And I had almost accepted another college

just a quick question, the 52k thats mentioned in the tuition and fees, do we have to pay it at one go? or can we break it up in different schedules?

just a quick question, the 52k thats mentioned in the tuition and fees, do we have to pay it at one go? or can we break it up in different schedules?

if you are paying out of pocket most schools offer payment schedules, but there are usually fees associated. contact the school for the right answer

In at Hopkins! Finally! After 5-month waiting...:scared: I tried but failed to contact them in late Feb regarding my admission decision. Yesterday I emailed them again, and within a few hours I got a reply telling me that I was accepted. However, it was an informal notification, and my application status didn't change on the "Apply online" webside. For those who received formal decision letters: did the decision letter specify a track you get in? If so, were all of you admitted to the track you applied to? I applied to the ScM program in clinical epidemiology track in dept of epidemiology.
Good luck to everyone who's still waiting! :)(Myself included, coz I haven't heard from BU yet. Dunno what's going on...)

MandyL, the status on the application website only told me I was admitted to a the International Health Department. My formal decision arrived in the mail the next week where it told me my specific program concentration and a bunch of other details.

Congrats on Hopkins! Have you decided? For me it's official, I'll be attending Bloomberg this Fall.

MandyL, the status on the application website only told me I was admitted to a the International Health Department. My formal decision arrived in the mail the next week where it told me my specific program concentration and a bunch of other details.

Congrats on Hopkins! Have you decided? For me it's official, I'll be attending Bloomberg this Fall.

intlhealth2010, thank you for telling me that! Now I'm anxiously waiting for the mail. I haven't decided yet, but I'm leaning towards Hopkins!:)

Applying for MPH, stats:

GPA: 3.67
GRE: 630 V, 660 Q, 4.5 W

Accepted: U of Washington (MCH), NYU (Nutrition), Tufts (Nutrition), Hunter (COMHE), Tulane (Nutrition)
Rejected: Berkeley (MCH)

Any thoughts on which programs are best for Community Health Nutrition? I'd like to stay in NY, but have to see about funding :xf:

Last edited:
Is anyone going to attend BU Admit Day on 4/15?

Hi everyone!
I've been following the blog for a while and thought I'd post my stats for future reference:

GRE: 640V, 660Q, 4.5W
UG GPA: 3.2 in Biochemistry, History
Applying straight from undergrad. Internships with the federal government, leadership in university organizations, volunteer experience, strong LORs.

Applied: (All MPH) UCLA (Epi), Berkeley (Infectious Diseases), BU (Epi), Ohio St (Veterinary Public Health)
Accepted: UCLA, Berkeley, BU, Ohio St
Final Decision: UCLA Epi :D
Hi, applicant2010. Could u please tell me why you choose UCLA? U applied for MS or MPH? Did they offer you any funding? I'm still waiting for UCLA Epi. :(

Hi, applicant2010. Could u please tell me why you choose UCLA? U applied for MS or MPH? Did they offer you any funding? I'm still waiting for UCLA Epi. :(

I applied for the MPH and decided on UCLA for a variety of reasons. I didn't get any funding from UCLA directly, but I have an outside scholarship which makes UCLA much more affordable out-of-state. At the end of the day I was deciding between Berkeley (infectious diseases) and UCLA (Epi) and I picked UCLA because I feel that overall, epi is a more marketable degree and I want to be working in LA when I graduate. There's also research going on in the epi program at UCLA that really coincides with my research interests and I hope to get involved in once I am there.

Also, there were personal reasons involved. I have family in LA and my SO is living in LA right now. These weren't the deciding factors but def. the extra push to UCLA. I'm really excited, I hope you hear back soon!