Accepted, Fall 2011!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How hard is it to get into Texas A&M for an MPH?

I'm applying late my gpa is a 3.5 biomed/chem major im taking the gre in 2 weeks; feedback appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

I think it depends on the department, but they are looking to expand in general (at least that's what the dept. head for health behavior told me when I visited). I don't think it is that difficult to get in. In 2009 they had an acceptance rate of 51% (which is relatively low compared to most schools). They are just a very small school.

Also, this may be useful for others but the ASPH publishes a whole bunch of stats about all the schools applicants/acceptances and tons of other stats here is a link to the 2009 pdf (most recent I think)

http://www.asph.org/UserFiles/Data Report 2009.pdf

Page 24 has acceptance % breakdown for all the schools.

These rates are high because people usually apply to several schools through SOPHAS, so the schools have to kind of predict how many people will not end up going.

Hope this may be helpful.

How hard is it to get into Texas A&M for an MPH?

I'm applying late my gpa is a 3.5 biomed/chem major im taking the gre in 2 weeks; feedback appreciated

I am an international student and I got into 6 schools of public health for an MPH. I've finally decided to accept the offer of admission from the University of Minnesota [Twin Cities].

I think this is an excellent school and the best part is the low tuition. The faculty and staff are amazing and they were really helpful to me. Of all the schools I've been admitted to, they've regularly kept me updated and have shown the most interest in me, more than 3 other schools, where I was accepted to[ranked higher than UMTC according to USNWR rankings]. Further, a lot of people wax eloquent about Minneapolis/St.Paul being a clean, nice and friendly city.

However, I haven't seen too many people speak about UMTC School of Public Health. Is there any particular reason for this? Am I missing something or is it just that people pass on UMTC because there are others with a better 'brand value'.

My stats - GPA- 3.9, GRE- 680/750/4
I'm planning to do my MPH and combine it with an MD in Psychiatry.

Members don't see this ad :)
MPHpsyche- Not sure why people don't talk about it more. It's a great school and I have heard nothing but good things about it. Also, I really enjoyed Minneapolis and think it would be a great place to go to school. Congrats!

MPHpsyche- Not sure why people don't talk about it more. It's a great school and I have heard nothing but good things about it. Also, I really enjoyed Minneapolis and think it would be a great place to go to school. Congrats!
Thank you!

I wonder if any current or former or admitted students from Minnesota can speak about their experiences and what they think about Minnesota, especially in comparison with Michigan.

I wanted to go to Michigan but the place is super expensive. I keep wondering if I should actually take a loan to finance my education, at Michigan, even if my job prospects as a non-American citizen aren't that great.

But then I keep telling myself: Ultimately it doesn't matter where a student gets a degree from but what he does with it and how he uses it. Am I wrong in thinking like this?

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited:
I finally found out why I have not heard back from NYU yet and I am beyond frustrated.

It was one of the first schools I applied to, in December, and they took up till March to tell me that they needed my GRE score - fair enough since I sent it to the wrong MPH program code (Global MPH instead of Steinhardt). I have been calling ever since to find out why I haven't gotten my decision yet and all I have gotten was a default answer: "We will let you know through email when your decision is ready."

I finally find out TODAY, over a MONTH since sending my GRE score through fax and gre.org, that they still didn't have my score and that is why the adcom has not reviewed my application yet. I have not received any emails about it, any notifications, nothing since the first and only notice in March. I was literally ready to cry over phone from how preposterous the situation was.

I understand how busy a university like NYU can be and I understood the low level of communication but I didn't even receive an apology, but a stern cold "I understand that you're frustrated, so let's fix this problem right now". That I don't understand.

-- End venting --

Gpa 3.1 undergrad bio major
520 verbal 660 quantitative 4.5 writing
Limited volunteer exp

Applied to emory, university of alabama, university of ga, univesty of north tx
Applied to all Epidemiology programs
Accepted : university of north tx

For those who were rejected from Columbia, did you receive an email to check your admission decision or was the rejection sent via snail mail?

I got an email asking me to check my decision online. I applied to the MPH in Epi.

I was rejected on 3/24/11. My app was complete on 12/3/10 and everything but 2 LORs was in by 10/12/10.

I was rejected on 3/24/11. My app was complete on 12/3/10 and everything but 2 LORs was in by 10/12/10.

Thanks for confirming that. I see it took more than 3 months for Columbia to send a decision to you. It's almost been 3 months since I submitted my application, so I guess I should expect this wait time...

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
GRE: 580V, 660Q.
GPA: 3.52 in anthropology, political science, international studies
higher GPAs for majors and upper-level. study abroad. some work and volunteer experiences.

Applied: UIC, BU (with merit), GWU, NYU.
Accepted: got into to all of them. going to UIC :D

Hey all! Congratulations on all the acceptances. . . now that I've finally heard back it's decision crunch time.

So I've been accepted to (MPH):
Emory Global Health
Tulane GHSD
BU International Health ($12000 Merit Award)
GWU Global Health Policy
Drexel EPI
Texas EPI
LSHTM MSc in Public Health (Health Economics)

Waiting:
USC (kind of forgot I even applied to them so meh!)

I'm an international student and my stats are:
GRE: 640V, 670Q, 4.5AW
GPA: 3.34 (Political Science from reputable Canadian university)
3 years of interning with various nonprofits, locally and internationally

Any advice on decisions? I'm mostly torn between LSHTM vs. Emory vs. BU (due to merit award).

I'm specifically interested in working in monitoring and evaluation of global health and infectious disease, which I think all three schools are really good at. I'm just worried about potential job prospects afterwards, how well known are they globally?

Thanks a lot!

x

Can someone convince me that the University of Arizona is better than Emory for studying infectious disease in the public health setting?

Can someone convince me that the University of Arizona is better than Emory for studying infectious disease in the public health setting?

Unless you have a very specific project you want to work on that they are doing at Arizona and not at Emory then I don't think you'd be able to beat Emory for ID. I know the connection with the CDC is brought up a lot, but it's legitimate and you can't beat it for the broad range of interests it covers for a grad student (so if you go thinking you want to work on HIV and decide later in school you want to work on Malaria, you still have those resources because the CDC has it's hand in everything - where at another school they probably don't have as many top-notch programs in different disease focuses - just a general example). In addition to this we got to meet a lot of the ID professors and talk with them at Visit Emory, most of them are still doing active research within Atlanta and abroad in countries in South America, Africa, the Middle East, Asia, etc. A couple of floors of one of the buildings houses labs for a few of the ID professors where they have student work opportunities. There are also opportunities on the same projects outside the lab in statistics, IT, etc. So there are plenty of ID opportunities domestically in Atlanta and abroad, whichever you want to do. I also think Emory has a reputation for work in ID which would be helpful once you graduate.

I think everyone should choose the school that's best for them and maybe Arizona has something to offer that appeals more to you. But on straight ID, I would say Emory wins hands down.

GPA: 3.97
Major: Biochem
MCAT: 32

Applied to:
-BU
-Mount Sinai
-NYU
-SUNY Downstate
-Dartmouth
-Southern Conn State
-NYMC

Accepted (no rejections so far from the other schools):
-Mount Sinai
-NYU
-Dartmouth
-NYMC

Leaning towards Sinai and NYU at this point. Please PM me or reply here if you wanna talk about sinai or NYU. I'd love to hear some one else's thoughts on those programs and especially where to live! I dont know anyone in NYC so Ill be looking for roommates real soon if I dont live on campus.

*Word of advice for the financially strapped applicant: the non refundable deposits due shortly after acceptance letters can in some cases be extended to later due dates if you are tight financially and would like to hear from other schools before tossing in $500. Talk it over with the recruitment/admissions staff.

Unless you have a very specific project you want to work on that they are doing at Arizona and not at Emory then I don't think you'd be able to beat Emory for ID. I know the connection with the CDC is brought up a lot, but it's legitimate and you can't beat it for the broad range of interests it covers for a grad student (so if you go thinking you want to work on HIV and decide later in school you want to work on Malaria, you still have those resources because the CDC has it's hand in everything - where at another school they probably don't have as many top-notch programs in different disease focuses - just a general example). In addition to this we got to meet a lot of the ID professors and talk with them at Visit Emory, most of them are still doing active research within Atlanta and abroad in countries in South America, Africa, the Middle East, Asia, etc. A couple of floors of one of the buildings houses labs for a few of the ID professors where they have student work opportunities. There are also opportunities on the same projects outside the lab in statistics, IT, etc. So there are plenty of ID opportunities domestically in Atlanta and abroad, whichever you want to do. I also think Emory has a reputation for work in ID which would be helpful once you graduate.

I think everyone should choose the school that's best for them and maybe Arizona has something to offer that appeals more to you. But on straight ID, I would say Emory wins hands down.

I just got offered a PC fellowship at UA which is why I ask but really I agree with you on every point and am still pretty sure I'm going to Emory.

Hi Seci,

I applied to both Emory and UA. In my research, I found Emory to be overwhelmingly favorable in so many ways. As a non-resident, I felt that UA was a great school for local reasons. In ID, that really doesn't seem to mean much...except for Atlanta because of the CDC. Personally though, I found UA to have some cool opportunities and features to the school as well as the dual degree opportunities. I'm interested in community health, specifically in Hispanic populaitons, which UA has the edge on. Personally, I would go with UA over Emory for my interests, but not for ID. I've never been to either school and cannot say much to the culture and environment, but from the perspective of ID opportunities and faculty, Emory has UA beat. Either way however, this is all just an opinion from an outsider.

Good luck with your decision!

Well, it's Friday again and another week since I haven't heard back from Columbia. :mad:

Did anyone receive a decision this week and if so, how long has it been since you submitted your application?

I just submitted forms to DECLINE the offers of admission to UTSPH for the MPH in Health Care Management and Columbia for the MPH in Health Policy and Management. Hopefully this helps any applicants on waiting lists.

I just submitted forms to DECLINE the offers of admission to UTSPH for the MPH in Health Care Management and Columbia for the MPH in Health Policy and Management. Hopefully this helps any applicants on waiting lists.

If you don't mind, could you elaborate on why you declined the offer to attend Columbia HPM?

I applied to Columbia HPM and have yet to hear from them...acceptance or rejection and not even on a wait-list.

If you don't mind, could you elaborate on why you declined the offer to attend Columbia HPM?

I applied to Columbia HPM and have yet to hear from them...acceptance or rejection and not even on a wait-list.

I was offered loans, tons and tons of loans and no grants or scholarships. 3 other schools came through and offered me decent sized scholarships and one program offered me a substantial scholarship that I couldn't refuse.

So, I’ve been lurking for awhile, while I waited to hear back from my top choice – for some reason, I thought posting earlier would jinx myself (yeah, I don’t understand my reasoning, either).

BUT … I found out yesterday that I got into Emory!!! BSHE; currently waitlisted for global health. I thought my chances were zill, so almost died of happiness at my desk when I saw the e-mail.

If anybody is still waiting to hear back, don't give up hope yet! I just got my acceptance today!

GPA: 3.31 (had to deal with several harsh circumstances during undergrad)
GRE: 1450

Applied: UT School of Public Health (MS in Epidemiology)

Accepted: UT School of Public Health (Epi)!!!

I honestly did not think I would get in with my below average GPA (with an even worse Science GPA!), but I was told that my personal statement and future goals (veterinary epidemiologist with intentions to do global travel to educate farmers/ranchers/etc. on proper ways to prevent zoonotic diseases, as well as treat animals at home and abroad) were what really set me apart. :thumbup:

Got into NYU Global Health MPH/International Community Health MPH! I got accepted the same day that I had to send my GRE scores in after not being told that they were still missing from the files so it might possibly be a pity acceptance but yay ^_^

Got into NYU Global Health MPH/International Community Health MPH! I got accepted the same day that I had to send my GRE scores in after not being told that they were still missing from the files so it might possibly be a pity acceptance but yay ^_^

Woot, woot! Congrats! Have you decided on a school yet?

(Also, I doubt it was a pity acceptance!)

Woot, woot! Congrats! Have you decided on a school yet?

(Also, I doubt it was a pity acceptance!)

Thanks! I seriously keep changing my mind every few days and I feel like I'll only know on April 15th, when I make that final choice, haha. However, I think Columbia will be my final choice. I wanted to visit Emory but the flight tickets are just way too expensive right now and Emory doesn't have an international studies dual degree option, which Columbia has. NYU I still have to research a little.

Congrats on Brown, by the way! Great school all around!

Thanks! I seriously keep changing my mind every few days and I feel like I'll only know on April 15th, when I make that final choice, haha. However, I think Columbia will be my final choice. I wanted to visit Emory but the flight tickets are just way too expensive right now and Emory doesn't have an international studies dual degree option, which Columbia has. NYU I still have to research a little.

Congrats on Brown, by the way! Great school all around!

Don't feel bad about changing your mind. It was painful to tell schools I wouldnt be attending. It took four days to actually hit the submit button on Brown's acceptance confirmation.

I don't like Atlanta (which is why I didn't apply to Emory), but I do have a friend doing her MFA at Columbia and she's in love with everything about it. She loves the program, the school, the city. When I visited, I liked it as well. I really loved their main library (I love libraries!).

Don't feel bad about changing your mind. It was painful to tell schools I wouldnt be attending. It took four days to actually hit the submit button on Brown's acceptance confirmation.

I don't like Atlanta (which is why I didn't apply to Emory), but I do have a friend doing her MFA at Columbia and she's in love with everything about it. She loves the program, the school, the city. When I visited, I liked it as well. I really loved their main library (I love libraries!).

Omg mee tooooo. The main library is BEAUTIFUL! And the way it's situated so that it overlooks a great vast lawn. Just perfect. It's unfortunate that the public health students have to study about 40 streets away from the undergrad/rest of non-med campus.

Hello Everyone,
I just joined the forum because the anxiety of waiting is killing me. Did anyone apply to the Dr.PH program at UTSPH? If so how long did it take after you application was complete? It's going on 2 1/2 months for me

If anybody is still waiting to hear back, don't give up hope yet! I just got my acceptance today!

GPA: 3.31 (had to deal with several harsh circumstances during undergrad)
GRE: 1450

Applied: UT School of Public Health (MS in Epidemiology)

Accepted: UT School of Public Health (Epi)!!!

I honestly did not think I would get in with my below average GPA (with an even worse Science GPA!), but I was told that my personal statement and future goals (veterinary epidemiologist with intentions to do global travel to educate farmers/ranchers/etc. on proper ways to prevent zoonotic diseases, as well as treat animals at home and abroad) were what really set me apart. :thumbup:
Hi, jlindp
Congrat on your acceptance.
I will attend to UTSPH-Houston too. If you are a female, would you like to share a room with me? Otherwise, could you please introduce me any place. I'm an international student and it's hard for me to search a place to stay in Houston. I will very appreciate your help. :love:

Hi, jlindp
I will attend to UTSPH-Houston too. If you are a female, would you like to share a room with me? Otherwise, could you please introduce me any place. I'm an international student and it's hard for me to search a place to stay in Houston. I will very appreciate your help. :love:

Thank you! I'm actually working on getting transferred over to the Dallas regional campus, so that I can live with my boyfriend and save some money. So, I'm afraid I won't be much help. However, I'm sure if you contact the campus they'll be more than happy to help you locate a place to live. Houston is pretty affordable, I believe. I wish you the best of luck! :luck:

Just learned via email that I'm being recommended for admission to UIC's DrPH in Leadership! Very excited! My data are as follows:

BS, Biology (GPA 3.3)
MPH, Epidemiology (GPA 3.8)
MPPA, Public Policy & Admin (GPA 4.0)
GCert, Gerontology (GPA 4.0)
MA(cand), Aging & Health (GPA 4.0)
CPH by the Nat'l Board of Public Health Examiners
Ancient GRE scores (not required for the UIC DrPH app)
Nearly 17 years of professional public health experience

Any other future UIC DrPH-ers out there?

Hi, jlindp
Hi epiepi,
There's a FB page on incoming fall 2011 students hope u can find help over there...here's the link... http://www.facebook.com/pages/UTexasSPH-Entering-Class-Fall-2011/142555309145855?sk=wall

Regards,
jbsdentist....

Final tally..

Accepted:
UCLA (CHS), Tulane (HEDC), SDSU (HPBS), Michigan (HBHE)

Rejected:
Emory (BSHE)

Withdrew Ap:
University of Arizona

B.A. Public Health Policy; B.A. Pysch and social behavior
GPA: 3.31 overall, 3.7 upper and major
GRE: 560 verbal, 670 quant, 4.5 AW

2 years of undergrad research through undergraduate research grants
2 years of work experience at prominent non profit health org
strong letters of rec from professors and professionals.
very specific research and carreer goals outlined in SOP
AND a lot of praying and a little bit of luck.

Yay :D

Just found out that I got into both MPH programs I applied to at UNC. That second one kept me waiting until it was almost time to make a decision on the first one.

Yay :D

Just found out that I got into both MPH programs I applied to at UNC. That second one kept me waiting until it was almost time to make a decision on the first one.

Congrats! Which programs? Have you made a decision for next year?

I finally heard from Columbia. Acceptance into their Epidemiology department, however it wasn't my first choice of HPM.

Last edited:
I just DECLINED the offers of admission to NYU Wagner for the MPA in Health Policy & Management (there was scholarship $ attached to the offer) and Hopkins for the MHA in Health Finance & Management (scholarship money attached as well).

I know that the scholarship money from Hopkins will be redistributed to another student, so good luck to anybody on a waiting list.

Just heard back from my last school.
I've been accepted to:
Nyu
Mount Sinai
SUNY downstate
NYMC
BU (15000 merit award)
Dartmouth
Scsu

Gotta decide soon!
Any sinai or nyu acceptees, please message me to talk about the programs!!

I am an international student and I got into 6 schools of public health for an MPH. I've finally decided to accept the offer of admission from the University of Minnesota [Twin Cities].

I think this is an excellent school and the best part is the low tuition. The faculty and staff are amazing and they were really helpful to me. Of all the schools I've been admitted to, they've regularly kept me updated and have shown the most interest in me, more than 3 other schools, where I was accepted to[ranked higher than UMTC according to USNWR rankings]. Further, a lot of people wax eloquent about Minneapolis/St.Paul being a clean, nice and friendly city.

However, I haven't seen too many people speak about UMTC School of Public Health. Is there any particular reason for this? Am I missing something or is it just that people pass on UMTC because there are others with a better 'brand value'.

My stats - GPA- 3.9, GRE- 680/750/4
I'm planning to do my MPH and combine it with an MD in Psychiatry.

I am doing a Pharm.D./MPH starting this fall at the University of Minnesota. I'm not sure the exact courses I'm taking yet and may end up waiting to take my MPH courses until my PD3 year. Maybe we'll see each other there! :)

I checked my email today and found that I was accepted into UCLA MPH program of Epidemiology! So confused since they waitlisted me on March, 1st and rejected me on March, 4th.:confused: I've decided to attend another school, but...it's good to be admitted! Especially on my birthday.:laugh:
For those still waiting on UCLA, if there is any, don't give up!!!

I am doing a Pharm.D./MPH starting this fall at the University of Minnesota. I'm not sure the exact courses I'm taking yet and may end up waiting to take my MPH courses until my PD3 year. Maybe we'll see each other there! :)

I said 'No' to the UMTC offer. I'll be attending the University of Michigan instead. I won't deny the fact that the tuition is really high but UMich has the best HBHE program.

Sorry about that but I'm sure you'll have a great time.

Hey all

I Am going to be attending the MPH program in epi at UW this fall. Is anyone else going to the UW school of public health for a Masters program this fall ? Just wanted to connect with other students ! Please pm me if you are going !