Accepted, Fall 2011!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
UT Austin sounds great. I've talked to a few students who have been really helpful and nice. Are you considering them? Good luck!

I have a friend who moved to Austin last year for her job and she loves living there, except during the summertime of course.

UT-Austin was actually at the top of my list, because of the strength of the program, its cost and location. It seemed like the perfect school for me but now that I've had time to think it through:

a) I wanted UT-AUstin because it had an incredible dual degree but because of a stupid mistake on my part, I didn't end up applying to the second school separately, so I'm going to end up doing just public health until I am able to apply for the second program again later on - so it's not going to be a guarantee that I'll get in and still manage to do a dual degree
b) The wait has just been SO long (I applied in December!) that I'm slowly just losing my desire to go there. Maybe if I'm accepted, I'll be re-energized!
c) I've grown so attached to NYC (I live in NJ) and the internships I've been part of there, I'm a little hesitant to move away from such a busy center of activity.
d) I REALLY hate hot weather. I get sick easily if I get too much sun (a gift and a curse)

Are you planning on applying there?

Members don't see this ad.

I have a friend who moved to Austin last year for her job and she loves living there, except during the summertime of course.

UT-Austin was actually at the top of my list, because of the strength of the program, its cost and location. It seemed like the perfect school for me but now that I've had time to think it through:

a) I wanted UT-AUstin because it had an incredible dual degree but because of a stupid mistake on my part, I didn't end up applying to the second school separately, so I'm going to end up doing just public health until I am able to apply for the second program again later on - so it's not going to be a guarantee that I'll get in and still manage to do a dual degree
b) The wait has just been SO long (I applied in December!) that I'm slowly just losing my desire to go there. Maybe if I'm accepted, I'll be re-energized!
c) I've grown so attached to NYC (I live in NJ) and the internships I've been part of there, I'm a little hesitant to move away from such a busy center of activity.
d) I REALLY hate hot weather. I get sick easily if I get too much sun (a gift and a curse)

Are you planning on applying there?

Right... the summers are pretty brutal. I've been accepted at UT-Austin for Health Promotion and am definitely considering it. I've also been accepted at Yale, so I'm trying to decide. Wait listed at UNC, not sure what to make of that. I live in DC, but I'm over the busy life and ready to slow down!

Anyone else get the email from UW about the public health genetics program possibly getting chopped? Good times.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else get the email from UW about the public health genetics program possibly getting chopped? Good times.

Whoa! I was rejected from that program, but I was really interested in it. Tell me more.

I also got into USC's MHA program with full scholarship. I'm deciding between that, UCLA's MPH and UW's MHA.

What do you think you will end up choosing?

Congrats on your acceptances first of all.

In terms of choosing the program, I'm going to have to attend the scholar event on the 24th to find out more about usc. I still need to speak to Dartmouth to get further insight. But as of now, I'm not sure where i'll end up.

First post -- but I've been reading for months now. Thanks to everyone who posts on here with such helpful information.

Accepted @ Emory, UAB, and NYMC so far...waiting on some others.

Good luck to everyone!

Accepted to NYU Wagner's MPA in Health Policy & Management, Health Services Management Track today! With what comes out to be essentially a $8k/yr scholarship

Accepted: UCLA Health Services, Columbia HP&M, Hopkins-MHA, NYU-MPA, UT-Houston MPH

Rejected: Yale, Harvard

Now time to go visit the schools and make a very expensive decision.

Hey Everyone,
I'm new to SDN and I have a question. I applied to three public health schools (GWU, BU, and Hopkins) for an MPH in Maternal and Child Health (GW and BU) and MSPH in PFRH (Hopkins). I've gotten into GWU and BU with merit scholarships. I also just received notification from JHU that they have reached a decision on my application. However, when I clicked on the "Decision Status" link, it states that "a decision has been reached and a letter is forthcoming". Has anyone gotten this on the online application? or did it specifically state that you were accepted? ... I guess I'm just a bit impatient to get this letter.

Hey I am not really sure if this applies to you as well. I am actually anxiously waiting myself I applied to the same program. I read about someone is a similar situation and I don't want to say it is bad news, because I have no clue but I wanted to give you link to something someone said earlier. The link is http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=10711376#post10711376 it starts from post 1526. And like I said I have no clue. Honestely I am so nervous myself so I don't know if I should have even said anything because I don't want to make you more nervous but still wanted to tell you.

Hey Everyone,
I'm new to SDN and I have a question. I applied to three public health schools (GWU, BU, and Hopkins) for an MPH in Maternal and Child Health (GW and BU) and MSPH in PFRH (Hopkins). I've gotten into GWU and BU with merit scholarships. I also just received notification from JHU that they have reached a decision on my application. However, when I clicked on the "Decision Status" link, it states that "a decision has been reached and a letter is forthcoming". Has anyone gotten this on the online application? or did it specifically state that you were accepted? ... I guess I'm just a bit impatient to get this letter.

I would suggest calling the admissions office and inquiring; they have been very helpful whenever I have called.

Also, I do know someone who was first wait-listed but then later offered a position last application cycle for Hopkins, so it is def something to look into.

Just FYI- that Harvard info was for the MPH- which is a completely different gig than their two year programs. Again, good luck!

Right... the summers are pretty brutal. I've been accepted at UT-Austin for Health Promotion and am definitely considering it. I've also been accepted at Yale, so I'm trying to decide. Wait listed at UNC, not sure what to make of that. I live in DC, but I'm over the busy life and ready to slow down!

You got into some very nice schools! I'm assuming you applied to the Yale equivalent of Health Promotion? Health Management, I think it was called. Is the cost the main issue? I know that Austin is a much more lively student town of sorts than Yale is, if that sort of thing is important - just sayin'.

You got into some very nice schools! I'm assuming you applied to the Yale equivalent of Health Promotion? Health Management, I think it was called. Is the cost the main issue? I know that Austin is a much more lively student town of sorts than Yale is, if that sort of thing is important - just sayin'.

I did Yale Social and Behavioral Sciences in Global Health... and yep, cost is the main issue. I've heard Austin and I would get along really well. I'm going to Yale's student day to test out the vibe...

good luck to you, though! re-post if you decide to go to UT Austin

I'm wondering where exactly waitlisting stands in the scheme of things.

For example - a department has 100 seats, it offers 150 acceptances, and puts aside 10 people on the waitlist, in case 60 people turn down acceptances.

Am i correct in this assumption?

Members don't see this ad :)
It depends on the waitlist. It can be quite short (as some have posted) or longer. Last year UNC HBHE had a lengthy waitlist (50+)

Hey Everyone,
Hello Shakama,

I was wondering when did you apply for BU and GWU? I applied to the MCH program at both schools too and I am yet to hear from them. I wanted to know how long it took to get a response from them?

In addition, what were your stats, that helped you get the merit scholarships at both schools.

Thank you so much for your assistance.

Hi ladiesFirst,
I applied late to GW and BU. For GW I applied around January 20 and received an acceptance letter about 2 weeks after (Feb. 4). For BU, my application was completed and under review around Feb.3rd and the got back to me on March 7th.

My Stats:
GPA: 3.7/4.0
GRE: 560V/670Q/4.5
Work Experience:
- lung cancer research at Massachusetts General Hospital
- worked on numerous projects for a local health department
Sorry, my post was a bit misleading, I didn't read it through before sending it. I haven't heard anything from GW about merit scholarships, but I did receive $10,000 from BU.

I hope this helps.

Quick Update: I received my 'official' acceptance letter from the UNC graduate school today via EMAIL.

"If you plan to accept this offer, we encourage you to respond as soon as possible using the electronic acceptance option on your my unc page. Once you have accepted the offer, you will receive information regarding registration, orientation and program-specific requirements."

good luck!

-waystinthyme

Last edited:
I just got an email back from Hopkins saying, "A letter was mailed to you yesterday, so you should receive it very soon." Is that a bad sign? I think I remember reading pages and pages ago that JHU accepts via email and rejects through snail mail.

I didn't think it was possible to be more nervous...

It depends on the waitlist. It can be quite short (as some have posted) or longer. Last year UNC HBHE had a lengthy waitlist (50+)

From what theyve told me, it seems that they have different tiers to the waitlist and that those on the "waitlist high" usually make it in

From what theyve told me, it seems that they have different tiers to the waitlist and that those on the "waitlist high" usually make it in
I can't really speak on behalf of a lot of programs because I don't know... but I was placed on the waitlist for Emory for MPH in Health Policy& Management, and I found out Monday that I was removed from the waitlist and was accepted... so I think it depends on the program.

I just got an email back from Hopkins saying, "A letter was mailed to you yesterday, so you should receive it very soon." Is that a bad sign? I think I remember reading pages and pages ago that JHU accepts via email and rejects through snail mail.

Atleast you have got a decision, I think it should be positive if they have reached it this early ....
I was told to expect a decision by the end of March, I will have to give my decisions to other schools by then so i guess they are kind of hoping I accept something else by then.

:(

I can't really speak on behalf of a lot of programs because I don't know... but I was placed on the waitlist for Emory for MPH in Health Policy& Management, and I found out Monday that I was removed from the waitlist and was accepted... so I think it depends on the program.

I was waitlisted for Emory HPM as well. Did you ask them about your status on the waitlist? I was also waitlisted to BSHE as well..

My Stats:
GPA 3.9
MCAT 33Q
Currently a Surgery Resident, published a couple of small studies

Accepted: Harvard (MPH - Clinical Effectiveness), Columbia (MSc - Biostats in Clin Research), London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine (Public Health)

Rejected: UC - Berkeley (11 month MPH)

I am currently trying to decide between Harvard and the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine. Does anyone have any suggestions/input/experience? I am pursuing this degree as a supplement to my surgical training/career.

Do you mind sharing your stats?

My situation is similar to yours, however I have not heard from Columbia HPM yet. I did get accepted by Emory HPM (I was not waitlisted) and was wondering whether are stats are similar.

I was waitlisted for Emory HPM as well. Did you ask them about your status on the waitlist? I was also waitlisted to BSHE as well..
Yes. I emailed and called, and received no response. I just received a phone call from the program director stating that they reviewed the waitlist and they have decided to offer me acceptance to the program. I opted not to indicate a second choice on my application. She said I would receive information soon, and it would be updated on Opus, but I have not received anything yet.

Do you mind sharing your stats?

My situation is similar to yours, however I have not heard from Columbia HPM yet. I did get accepted by Emory HPM (I was not waitlisted) and was wondering whether are stats are similar.
Undergrad at UF. Senior Business Management major. 3.74 GPA.
GRE- 410V, 660Q, 4.0W
Lots of internship experience with HCA hospital, private medical practice, hotel and national hockey team.

Applied to MHA, or MPH- Healthcare management specializations.

Accepted: Columbia (enrolled), Emory, Minnesota, GWU, BU, USF, UT-Houston
Rejected: Yale
Waiting: NYU, UIC

In at Columbia (SMS)!!!!!!!!! Just got the email saying to check the online decision.

I just received notification of acceptance (first by email telling me to check online) to Columbia's 1 year MPH in General Public Health.

Accepted: Harvard (MPH in HSB), Columbia (MPH General Public Health)
Waiting: none

Will likely attend Harvard.

Good luck all!

I was also just accepted to Columbia: MPH Epi.

Also received an email saying a decision had been made. Finally! I submitted my application on December 5th!

In: UW (MPH Epi), Harvard (SM Epi), Colubmia (MPH Epi), Emory (MSPH Epi), UBC (MSc Epi)
Waiting: JHU (MHS Epi)
Rejected: Berkeley (MPH Epi/Biostat)

I've been deciding between UW and Harvard. Would consider JHU if they would ever make a decision!! And will now start considering Columbia more seriously!

Just found out I'm in at dartmouth. Anyone know if dartmouth offers financial aid? Their website says TDI doesn't but since the mph program seems to be a part of a couple different schools, I wasn't sure if there was something else offered from somewhere other than TDI...

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited:
Can someone please tell me what their opinion would be deciding between Michigan MHSA Program vs the Yale Health Management Program

I would really appreciate inputs since I am in a big dilemma over choosing either ?

Hi.

Accepted: JH (MPH-Infectious diseases), Michigan (International Health), Minnesota (Epidemiology).

Rejected: Harvard (MPH- Global Health).

Thinking of going to JH but it's quite expensive. Does anyone know when scholarship notifications will be posted? The website says March but this month seems so long.......I can hardly wait any longer :scared:

Hello all,

I am in a strange situation right now...
I am doing a MPH program in BU currently (spring) but I got accepted into Yale for the fall session...with the new rankings I should stick with BU...but whatever said and done I am an international student and for international students the "ivy league" name tag matters...now I am confused as to whether I should continue in BU or should join Yale..

BTW : I had applied to Hopkins, Harvard, UNC, U Mich, Columbia, Tulane, Yale, USF, LLU and UMDNJ through spring and fall. Got an interview call from U Mich. Got accepted into Yale BU Tulane USF and UMDNJ. Got rejected from Harvard. Have not heard from Hopkins and Columbia. UNC...well thats one story which I think I should share...I got a mail saying that I had been called for the interview...then I got some other vague mail...when I called them up to ask what they were trying to say, I got notified (in a bored tone) that they had made a mistake in typing out email IDs and that I was actually not called for the interview....I was VERY disgusted with their lack of professionalism.

Anyway...pls suggest something about my BUSPH vs YSPH!!

Hello all,

I am doing a MPH program in BU currently (spring) but I got accepted into Yale for the fall session...with the new rankings I should stick with BU...but whatever said and done I am an international student and for international students the "ivy league" name tag matters...now I am confused as to whether I should continue in BU or should join Yale..

BTW : I had applied to Hopkins, Harvard, UNC, U Mich, Columbia, Tulane, Yale, USF, LLU and UMDNJ through spring and fall. Got an interview call from U Mich. Got accepted into Yale BU Tulane USF and UMDNJ. Got rejected from Harvard. Have not heard from Hopkins and Columbia. UNC...well thats one story which I think I should share...I got a mail saying that I had been called for the interview...then I got some other vague mail...when I called them up to ask what they were trying to say, I got notified (in a bored tone) that they had made a mistake in typing out email IDs and that I was actually not called for the interview....I was VERY disgusted with their lack of professionalism.

So Yale knows you are transferring from BU and they will take your hours from there? How long have you been at BU? BU is a perfectly fine school and unless you think the Yale name will really impress potential employers outside of US I would stick with BU. Do you plan on living and working in the US? What reasons are leading you to leave BU?

Hello all,

I totally see your dilemma. As an international student, I think we do not face the same challenges as US students, especially if you plan to work outside the US and depending where your home country is the school name matters A LOT. Speak to Yale to see if it is possible to transfer. And if you have the money to do it, then personally I would choose Yale. I am sure BU is a great school but sometimes the school name matters a lot. People outside the US do not always look at the rankings (in my opinion and from speaking to a couple of people). But why don't you also wait to hear from the other schools (like Columbia and JH) so that you do not make the same mistake. Unless you are sure that even if you end up being accepted you would choose Yale.

I just got my acceptance email from Colorado! In for Epi!

So I've been browsing and posting to this board for a bit now, and realized I never posted my stats! So here they are:

GPA: 3.3
GRE: V 580 M 620
1 yr of Americorps doing bilingual health education
2 yrs at a health foundation
some short term volunteer experiences abroad (one summer at an orphanage in Cambodia, a few weeks working with youth in Argentina and at a clinic in Ecuador)

Accepted: Columbia (Global Health)
Rejected: UW (Global Health)
Waitlisted: Emory (Global Health)

Still waiting to hear from Tulane (Global Health Systems and Development) and Berkeley (Health and Social Behavior). I applied pretty late and my SOPHAS wasn't finalized until early February because of some transcript issues, so it's not surprising I haven't heard back but still... it would be nice to hear something soon! I'm excited about the prospect of Columbia, although not so excited about the price tag.

I just received my waitlist notice from Emory yesterday, and while I'm glad it's not a rejection, it is still kind of annoying to be waitlisted!

Anyways, just will have to wait and see what happens I guess...

i was accepted to the epidemiology program at cu-denver! just received the email this morning!

mphbound503, I would advise calling Tulane admissions if your app has been in for 2 weeks or more. I did so this week and was told that I had been accepted 3 weeks ago according to the date on the letter! They emailed me a copy of the letter right away, and the actual envelope has since showed up in the mail.

I also got into USC's MHA program with full scholarship. I'm deciding between that, UCLA's MPH and UW's MHA.

What do you think you will end up choosing?

angelx214,

If you can, can you post your test scores, GPA, other stats, etc? I have gotten accepted into UCLA's CHS MPH program, but I am considering applying to USC's MPH and maybe their MHA program.

i was accepted to the epidemiology program at cu-denver! just received the email this morning!

Congratulations! Do you have any positive or negative info on this program? Being newer, I'm having a hard time finding any input on the school of public health. It is my first choice program because of in state tuition, the city, and there are several researchers there working on Diabetes which I am interested in. After reading all of the positive reviews of Emory, I'm feeling less sure of my decision.

Has anyone heard back from Harvard today? I was told that my decision was ready early this week and expected to get an email all day yesterday or today. Still no news.

Edit: Ten minutes after this, I got the email, haha. Rejected but that was expected.

Last edited:
So that foreboding letter from Hopkins? Accepted! I'm in for the MHS in Social Factors in Health. I got snail mail, a small envelope, and the online status wasn't updated until I emailed the department. I'm going for sure, putting my deposit down tonight. I still haven't heard from UNC but I couldn't care less.

I'm so happy I can stop checking my email every 10 minutes!

Congrats on your acceptance! That's encouragement. A letter coming in the mail from JHU does not necessarily mean a rejection.

Anyone else out there on the Wait List for the SM in Epi at Harvard? I received notification last week, but I haven't seen any others post that they were waitlisted.

mphbound503, I would advise calling Tulane admissions if your app has been in for 2 weeks or more. I did so this week and was told that I had been accepted 3 weeks ago according to the date on the letter! They emailed me a copy of the letter right away, and the actual envelope has since showed up in the mail.

Thanks mphseeker! I'll give them a call on Monday. It's definitely been more than 2 weeks, so hopefully they'll have some info. for me.