Accepted, Fall 2011!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi MPHMelissa,

Really-a current student offered you admission?

While I understand that all departments operate differently, I can't help but wonder...The new admissions process-as far as I understand it-mainly affects the Grad School's official admissions offers. So it seems like HBHE may be shooting themselves in the feet by not handing out informal offers once the department has made their decisions. Applicants with no news whatsoever may well take it as a bad sign and accept offers elsewhere....

Although the SOPHAS process is not exactly painless, it will be great that applicants won't have to deal with these delays next year.

In any case, thanks for sharing.

Yep, a current student called me to congratulate and informally offer me admission. This wasn't in place of the department's informal email that was sent out later or the official offer coming in the mail. I think the MCH program at UNC tries really hard to get prospective students connected with current students so that we can use them as a resource for our questions (and maybe it saves them time because we aren't asking the staff so many things that are better answered by actual students). I have been picking the brain of this student who is really helping inform my decision about whether or not to attend UNC and I appreciated the phone call from the student. Despite the frustrations other applicants have had with UNC, my brief interactions have shown more "warmth" than that I would have expected from a graduate program and definitely far more than the other schools I applied to (UW-waitlisted and UCBerkeley-rejected). At the same time for those of you still waiting, you should only have had to wait for so long and if you choose another school over UNC, it's their loss!

Members don't see this ad.

has anybody heard from Yale recently? I submitted my application right before the deadline, so I'm sure I'll be one of the last notified, but it's the last school I'm waiting for so I'm getting a little anxious!

has anybody heard from Yale recently? I submitted my application right before the deadline, so I'm sure I'll be one of the last notified, but it's the last school I'm waiting for so I'm getting a little anxious!

Yale is still rolling out decision letters. I also submitted my application just before the deadline and got a "thanks, but no thanks" e-mail from Yale this afternoon. Hope you hear good news from them soon! :xf:

Has anyone heard from Emory recently? I missed the deadline by about an hour (lost track of time while reading over my personal statement for the millionth time :rolleyes:) and was rejected from my top two department choices. My 3rd choice, which is still very desirable, has been holding onto my application for just over 3 weeks now. I'm guessing they're waiting to see how many admits commit before making a decision about my application. I can only afford to go on 2 campus visits, and while I'm glad they're still considering me, I'm getting a little antsy about booking my trips. Does anyone know when Emory will send their last batch of notices? Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad :)
Received my first acceptance today! Certainly not my top choice program, but it is the cheapest by A LOT (because it is in state). Still holding out hope for my top choice, though it is nice to be accepted somewhere and know that you can continue to pursue your dreams!

Good luck to everyone else.

-Chasincam

Thank God, I have some good news! Accepted to Emory BSHE today!! Woohoo!!! I applied super late everywhere, and my stats aren't amazing or anything.

The decision still isn't posted to OPUS (which I have been checking compulsively for the last week); it came via email with "congratulations" in the subject line.

Super excited. I'm not going to really feel it until I get the packet in the mail, though.

Still waiting on Columbia. Come on SMS. Show me some love.

Yep, a current student called me to congratulate and informally offer me admission. This wasn't in place of the department's informal email that was sent out later or the official offer coming in the mail. I think the MCH program at UNC tries really hard to get prospective students connected with current students so that we can use them as a resource for our questions (and maybe it saves them time because we aren't asking the staff so many things that are better answered by actual students). I have been picking the brain of this student who is really helping inform my decision about whether or not to attend UNC and I appreciated the phone call from the student. Despite the frustrations other applicants have had with UNC, my brief interactions have shown more "warmth" than that I would have expected from a graduate program and definitely far more than the other schools I applied to (UW-waitlisted and UCBerkeley-rejected). At the same time for those of you still waiting, you should only have had to wait for so long and if you choose another school over UNC, it's their loss!

Wow-it does sounds like your department has been pretty good throughout this process. That's great! And, in fairness, I should add that HBHE has been very cordial and helpful in the past....

In any case, I'm glad that things seem to be working out well for you!

At the same time for those of you still waiting, you should only have had to wait for so long and if you choose another school over UNC, it's their loss!

I called UNC HBHE this afternoon and found out I am in the top bracket of the waitlist. Still no formal communication though. Did anyone else get this news? Or anyone in the past know likelihood of getting off the waitlist there? Just wondering if I should forget it and move on or if there is still hope!

Finally heard back from Hopkins... got accepted to MHS in Social Factors in Health.

If anyone is waiting form Hopkins I just called the Sr. Academic Program Coordinator for my department who said that the snail mail had been sent (I thought I was probably denied... On the app status online it just still says submitted/under review). She was about to hang up and I asked if she could email me the letter, which she politely did.

I finally have heard back form all the schools. I want to get a Ph.D. after my masters and try to get a faculty research positions somewhere. I'm seriously considering Hopkins MHS (strong research focus and prep for Ph.D.) over MPHs at Columbia, Michigan, Brown, and Emory. Has anyone applied to/has an opinion about the MHS degree at Hopkins versus a standard MPH?!?

I called UNC HBHE this afternoon and found out I am in the top bracket of the waitlist. Still no formal communication though. Did anyone else get this news? Or anyone in the past know likelihood of getting off the waitlist there? Just wondering if I should forget it and move on or if there is still hope!

The student I am currently talking with says he was initially waitlisted but later offered admission. I don't know when the admissions offer came though.

Finally heard back from Hopkins... got accepted to MHS in Social Factors in Health.

If anyone is waiting form Hopkins I just called the Sr. Academic Program Coordinator for my department who said that the snail mail had been sent (I thought I was probably denied... On the app status online it just still says submitted/under review). She was about to hang up and I asked if she could email me the letter, which she politely did.

I finally have heard back form all the schools. I want to get a Ph.D. after my masters and try to get a faculty research positions somewhere. I'm seriously considering Hopkins MHS (strong research focus and prep for Ph.D.) over MPHs at Columbia, Michigan, Brown, and Emory. Has anyone applied to/has an opinion about the MHS degree at Hopkins versus a standard MPH?!?

How did you find their phone number? Only the email address is listed for my Senior Academic Program Coordinator.

GRE: V 590 (84th) Q 720 (75th) W 5

Undergrad: 3.57 Univ of Oregon
Graduate: 3.95 Chestnut Hill College M.Ed (TFA placed me there)

In undergrad I ran a needle exchange program from IDUs
I teach special ed in philly. I was a 2008 Teach for America corps member

I originally applied in the fall of 2009 for MPH programs
Rejected: Hopkins (MPH)
Accepted: Tulane (MPH Intl Health and Dev), Columbia MPH (MCH or something close)
Wait Listed: Harvard (MPH) and never got off the wait list

When I applied this year I only applied to Harvard- and I just found out I was WAIT LISTED, again.

Good Luck to the rest of you!

When I applied this year I only applied to Harvard- and I just found out I was WAIT LISTED, again.

Good Luck to the rest of you!

Sorry to hear you were wait-listed again. I hope you end up getting in.

This is making me nervous. I still haven't heard anything from Harvard.

Sorry to hear you were wait-listed again. I hope you end up getting in.

This is making me nervous. I still haven't heard anything from Harvard.

well then you should find out any day, Here is what it said in the email

".The Committee on Admissions and Degrees has finished the selection process for this year. While we cannot offer you admission to the Master of Public Health program in Health and Social Behavior at this time, we have placed you on our Wait List. As you probably know, this is the list of candidates to whom we will offer admission if we have space."

Best of Luck!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for posting your letter. since they are done with decisions i guess i will be hearing back sometime this week.

I FINALLY heard back from BU today! OMG I thought they lost my file. They gave me $$ too....gurr this just complicated things even more. But I'm happy I finally heard back from them. :cool:

IN at NYU MPA in health management!! with $$....this just got complicated here too....

Just want to let you know I also was waitlist "high" at UNC for HBHE about two weeks ago (they told me after I e-mailed about my admission status), and last week I received a "Congratulations, you have been recommended for admission" e-mail from the department. So there definitely is still hope!

Trying SO hard to be patient with UNC...

T minus 1 week to accepted students day and all I hear are crickets...

Is it bad that I actually looked up flight info and priced renting a car... why, oh why, do I want them so bad? I feel like the last kid being picked for the kickball team... sigh...

IN at NYU MPA in health management!! with $$....this just got complicated here too....

when did you find out? they're the last program I'm waiting to hear from! I've been checking obsessively for the last few hours as I know they're supposed to post decisions on March 15th

it shouldn't really matter though since their health care management ranking dropped from #12 to #21 :rolleyes:

How did you find their phone number? Only the email address is listed for my Senior Academic Program Coordinator.

I'm sure it depends on department you're applying to. I applied to the Department of Health, Behavior and Society. When you get to the department page, I just clicked on contact to the left, which listed all the administrative people. There was a phone # listed there.

I also spoke with my program director directly before applying and later a couple weeks ago to hear the progress of my application. She gave me a time frame of when I'd hear back and told me to contact the sen. academic prog. coordinator for more time-frame details. Hope this helps.

Was wondering does NYU MPA post it in the application thing online? or send you an email?

oooh Hopkins!
Has anyone heard from them for their MPH prog in the past few days?
I emailed them and they say a decision will be ready in the next 2 to 3 WEEKS!!!
they are my first choice, but do they really expect me to wait that long?
I'll just make up my mind and go to Yale instead! :rolleyes:

thanks for posting your letter. since they are done with decisions i guess i will be hearing back sometime this week.

Since you haven't gotten an email, you should be hopeful since Friday is the accepted students blast. You are probably in :)

all the decisions are in!

accepted: GW (global health- design, monitoring, and evaluation), BU (intl health, $$), Emory (Global envi health), UIC (CHS)
rejected: UWashington (global health)

(stats once again)
gpa 3.3
gre 610V 730Q 5.0W

right now im trying to decide between gw, bu, and emory. awapi has been more than helpful with the abundance of info on emory. anyone have anything to say on bu or gw?

Rampa and Dota - I got an email yesterday with a decision letter

I was accepted to Yale SBS this morning by email! I didn't get the GHC, though, which might be the deal breaker for me.

Also accepted into SBS this morning via email.

Congrats!! I guess you don't have to panic about applying to a lot of schools at once. It's nice to hear really good news so soon after bad news.

Congrats!! I guess you don't have to panic about applying to a lot of schools at once. It's nice to hear really good news so soon after bad news.

Thanks! And you're right this definitely takes a load off. And is going to save me 120 bucks I didn't really have.

Got wait-listed at Johns Hopkins for International Health =(

Even if I did end up getting a position after April 15tth, would it be possible to cancel enrollment at the previously selected college?

Hi everyone! For those wondering, Colorado has started to send out acceptances. I received mine not too long ago today. Its so nice to have heard from all of my schools (4/4 :)). I spoke with the coordinator and was told scholarship information would be sent separately at a much later date. She said, unfortunately, they only have three or four scholarships to give out.

Good luck to everyone in their acceptances!

Has anyone else heard from Denver yet?

Broke down and emailed UNC again... waitlist high...

Dont know if I should be hopeful or not...

Thought I should update with my info so far:

Accepted: UW (MS Epi), Emory (MSPH Epi), UPitts (MS Epi), Harvard (MS Epi), UNC (PhD Epi)
Rejected: Hopkins (PhD Epi), Berkeley (MPH Epi/Biostat), Yale (MPH Chronic Disease Epi)
Waitlisted: UCLA (MS Epi)

Still waiting: BU (MS Epi)

Right now I'm torn between UW and Emory. I can't make up my mind. Literally- I change it hourly. I've given up on BU, honestly- I want a refund of my application fee!

Right now I'm torn between UW and Emory. I can't make up my mind. Literally- I change it hourly. I've given up on BU, honestly- I want a refund of my application fee!

what about your acceptance to UNC for PhD in Epi? of course it's your decision at the end of the day , but UNC seems like a solid choice and it's a PhD over MS. just curious. :)

what about your acceptance to UNC for PhD in Epi? of course it's your choice, but UNC seems like a solid choice and it's a PhD over MS. just curious. :)

No worries- I just prefer Emory/Atlanta and UW/Seattle over Chapel Hill and UNC. And to be honest, I'd rather get my MS at one of those schools if it means I can get my PhD from one of them as well. Add to that, my research interests fit with more faculty at Emory/UW than UNC. It was nice to get the acceptance, and it's a great school, but in a way I'd rather work a little harder and get into Emory or UW's PhD programs (even if it means going to school for two more years!). :)

Got wait-listed at Johns Hopkins for International Health =(

Even if I did end up getting a position after April 15tth, would it be possible to cancel enrollment at the previously selected college?

I would suggest calling the admissions office and inquiring; they have been very helpful whenever I have called.

Also, I do know someone who was first wait-listed but then later offered a position last application cycle for Hopkins, so it is def something to look into.

In @ UNC HBHE MSPH to PhD! Don't know about funding yet though.

So, final tally:

In: UNC HBHE MSPH to PhD, Berkeley MPH HSB ($$), Columbia MPH SMS-Soc. Sci. Research in Pub. Health ($$)

Waitlist: UW MPH/PCMI Global Health

Out: Hopkins MPH/PCMI International Health

Stats posted a page or two back if you're interested.

The visit day is Monday for UNC so I don't think I'll be able to arrange travel out there....I would definitely send an email though, that's how I found out!

I called Harvard to see what the delay was (and to see if I could just get hit with all the bad news in one day and save the rest of the week =\ ) and the admissions clerk said that my decision was ready but she couldn't tell me and that I had to wait for the email, which would arrive by the end of this week.

So I think you should call (Admissions is 617-432-1031) and ask them "Is there a delay with my admissions?" and then she'll ask for your last name to look it up. Then you can find out if a decision has already been made, and if it has, you'll definitely hear by the end of this week.

I would suggest calling the admissions office and inquiring; they have been very helpful whenever I have called.

Also, I do know someone who was first wait-listed but then later offered a position last application cycle for Hopkins, so it is def something to look into.

You've been so nice to me, intlhealth! Haha, I appreciate the encouragement!

I hope my Harvard info above can help you out a bit =)

I called JHSPH to see what the waiting list size for my program was and the lady in charge told me that there were between 8 to 15 people on the waiting list so it's not a HUGE list, so I'll keep my fingers crossed!

Has anyone else been waitlisted for Johns Hopkins?

Last edited:
Is anyone still waiting to hear from UT Houston? Called them yesterday and they had trouble finding my information, said they would email my department (terrible website and supplementary application by the way). Already accepted invitation to Columbia, Population and Family Health Dep. Global Health Track, but still want to see if UT offers $$, Columbia isn't cheap!

Is anyone still waiting to hear from UT Houston? Called them yesterday and they had trouble finding my information, said they would email my department (terrible website and supplementary application by the way). Already accepted invitation to Columbia, Population and Family Health Dep. Global Health Track, but still want to see if UT offers $$, Columbia isn't cheap!

I'm waiting to hear from UT-Austin but that's because I applied using a dual degree application, which is in paper form. Unfortunately, I changed my mind and decided to just go with Public Health so I was told that dual degree apps take longer to process. I'll be hearing from them by next week, I was told.

no! i'm still waiting and getting more and more anxious! i applied for epi first and biostats as my second choice. what about you?

I applied for Epi-Anschutz campus first then Epi-CSU. I already have an acceptance to Emory and Tulane, but Colorado would be $26,000 cheaper because I qualify for in state tuition under http://wiche.edu/wrgp. Also, the hiking would be MUCH better in Colorado vs. Atlanta...

I applied for Epi-Anschutz campus first then Epi-CSU. I already have an acceptance to Emory and Tulane, but Colorado would be $26,000 cheaper because I qualify for in state tuition under http://wiche.edu/wrgp. Also, the hiking would be MUCH better in Colorado vs. Atlanta...

i only applied to the program at the anschutz campus, but i wish there sph at cu-boulder. i read in a previous post that colorado is your number one choice and i was curious as to what other factors beyond cost and location are factoring into your decision?

congratulations on your other acceptances. i have only seen 2 people here and on grad cafe that have received notification about acceptances, but they really can't let it go much longer. i was originally told late march to early april in the initial email i received after my application was submitted just before christmas.

So, final tally:

In: UNC HBHE MSPH to PhD, Berkeley MPH HSB ($$), Columbia MPH SMS-Soc. Sci. Research in Pub. Health ($$)

The visit day is Monday for UNC so I don't think I'll be able to arrange travel out there....I would definitely send an email though, that's how I found out!

Congrats! That's really exciting. I sent an email last night but haven't heard back, which is odd. Maybe it got lost? Or they are avoiding me, haha.

But, great to know they are still handing out acceptances!

I'm waiting to hear from UT-Austin but that's because I applied using a dual degree application, which is in paper form. Unfortunately, I changed my mind and decided to just go with Public Health so I was told that dual degree apps take longer to process. I'll be hearing from them by next week, I was told.

UT Austin sounds great. I've talked to a few students who have been really helpful and nice. Are you considering them? Good luck!

So, final tally:

Congrats!!! Maybe Ill be seeing you there :)

I got into USC MHA program Dean's merit scholarship (full tuition)
along with Dartmouth MHS for their HEalth policy Clinical Prac.

But i still haven't heard from columbia MPH in health policy? like I'm worried. now.
will they send more out?

I also got into USC's MHA program with full scholarship. I'm deciding between that, UCLA's MPH and UW's MHA.

What do you think you will end up choosing?

I also got into USC's MHA program with full scholarship. I'm deciding between that, UCLA's MPH and UW's MHA.

What do you think you will end up choosing?

Angel- I am also deciding between a UCLA MPH in Health Services and a UW MHA. Which program are you leaning toward and why? I'm trying to gauge whether an MPH with a management emphasis or an MHA will be beneficial in the long run for me. I want to eventually do something operations/strategic management/consulting related in a hospital or managed care org, and I'm having a touch time making my decision. I'd love to know what your thoughts are...?