Other OT-Related Information Accepted Student What to do this summer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OT1224

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I know that there is a thread for this, but I can't find it.

I am accepted for an OT school that begins Fall 2016. I have plenty of time this summer to do...stuffs. So far, I have a vacation for few weeks. After that, my only plan is to learn a foreign language (Planning to treat patients that speaks this language).

However, I am not satisfied with this plan. Summertime gives me the perfect opportunity to learn new skill or do something that I usually do not have time for.

What else should I do? I thought about looking through OT books and studying anatomy. I thought about looking at OT facilities during the vacation. I can't get a job because that will require training and it will be August by then (my trip is in the middle of summer. Mom wanted me to come and already bought tickets). I am also practicing graphic art a bit (plan to do commission illustration in the future).

But, WHAT ELSE? I want to be super productive and not just relax my 3 months away.

What would you guys recommend/have done/would do?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I highly recommend just relaxing! Once you start school you'll dream of the days when you could just sit and catch up on your favorite TV shows or read some magazines or books. I tried studying before school, but ended up not being sure what to study and how much was too much detail, etc. Your program should teach you everything you need to know as you go. Enjoy the last couple months of true free time!

Reactions: 1 users
just chill out.

maybe read a couple pages of the OTPF 3rd ed.

Members don't see this ad :)
You should pick up a new hobby you've always wanted to try
(if it were me it would be learning how to play the drums). A new language could be great but try to keep practicing during OT school, otherwise you'll lose it. I understand how you feel wanting to stay busy, but like others said you should probably just enjoy your time.

Reactions: 1 user
I understand the desire to stay busy and even study. I begin this fall as well and am worried about falling behind so I feel the urge to a study A&P. I am very active in sports so I signed up for 4 leagues and am looking for more this summer. I know I won't have the free time to do this once school starts, so that's how I intend on keeping busy since I work also. Maybe find a good book series to read for leisure? It will keep your mind and skills active for when school starts.

I would honestly say use this free time you have now to relax because once OT school start, free time will be very very limited. Pick up a new hobby or try hanging out with family and friends as much as you can before you start school :)

Is the show actually worth watching? I've heard iffy things about it.

yeah i like it. I rate 7/10.

Fringe is good too. I actually finished it last week. Its on prime.

Last edited:
yeah i like it. I rate 7/10.

Fringe is good too. I actually finished it last week. Its on prime.

Ah, good to know. I'm currently watching GoT (like everyone else in the US), but I'll need to pick something else up soon. Or get a life, I suppose. ;)

My program starts in June, but if I had the whole summer, I would be enjoying the downtime. Read, go to the beach, take care of things you may have put on hold while in school, visit some museums, etc. Enjoy the freedom!

weird thread. but i'm with the owl/bird looking avatar above.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,

I know that there is a thread for this, but I can't find it.

I am accepted for an OT school that begins Fall 2016. I have plenty of time this summer to do...stuffs. So far, I have a vacation for few weeks. After that, my only plan is to learn a foreign language (Planning to treat patients that speaks this language).

However, I am not satisfied with this plan. Summertime gives me the perfect opportunity to learn new skill or do something that I usually do not have time for.

What else should I do? I thought about looking through OT books and studying anatomy. I thought about looking at OT facilities during the vacation. I can't get a job because that will require training and it will be August by then (my trip is in the middle of summer. Mom wanted me to come and already bought tickets). I am also practicing graphic art a bit (plan to do commission illustration in the future).

But, WHAT ELSE? I want to be super productive and not just relax my 3 months away.

What would you guys recommend/have done/would do?

If you really want to do something productive I would say look over A&P. Know the bones and muscles (where the muscles insert, orginate, and what they do). I think that was the hardest thing my first semester. Relaxing is great. But honestly taking an hour a day to look over these things won't hurt and will really help decrease stress in the fall bc you will know it.

If you really want to do something productive I would say look over A&P. Know the bones and muscles (where the muscles insert, orginate, and what they do). I think that was the hardest thing my first semester. Relaxing is great. But honestly taking an hour a day to look over these things won't hurt and will really help decrease stress in the fall bc you will know it.

I completely agree with this post.

Unfortunately, my upperclassmen also suggested to "just" relax over my break. In retrospect, I would've benefited from going over my anatomy notes and brushing up on the bones, muscles, and their movements.

TWU has a random drug screening.

It's on the acceptance letter send via email.

My suggestion would be skimming through bones, muscles, and attachments.

Also LIVE A LITTLE! Travel, get an easy job to fund your escapades, watch a lot of Netflix (may I suggest HIMYM as something that is easy to pick up and watch), and maybe join some summer rec sports. Once you get into OT school, you won't be able to do a lot of these things - so enjoy :)

Seriously, relax! Unless you were terrible at Anatomy (which you wouldn't be or you wouldn't have gotten into OT school), don't kill yourself studying over the summer, as you will have no free time to enjoy yourself for the next 2.5-3 years (including time spent studying for the board exam once you graduate). Spend time with friends, do the fun stuff you've been putting off for awhile, enjoy yourself. OT school can be stressful, so live stress-free for just a little while longer!

marco polo season 2 is out :cool:
Oh man, you came back to this post and everything. Seeing as GoT just finished (as did my summer class), I guess there's nothing stopping me...

Reactions: 1 user