MD & DO Accepted to 2 med schools...seeking advice about PA now

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anon-maybe-doc

Reaction score
I made this account recently pretty much just to get a feel for what the internet has to say about my situation.

TLDR: i'm accepted to med school but struggling with the idea of work/life balance, passion, time commitment, etc. of medical school, considering PA school (change my mind).

To give you the story- I am a senior double major at my university, 3.93 GPA, 208 MCAT, accepted into 2 med schools, one DO and one MD.
I feel like I am a very proactive student, I put my best into my work and devote a lot of time to school already and feel I have a great work life balance. I don't put things off or procrastinate and I feel confident I can complete medical school, it's now a question of if I want to or not. I've jumped through the hoops of what needs to be done for medical school but am starting to realize with all of the tours I have been on, the students may have a quality I do not: they're insane.

All jokes aside, I have had doctors tell me not to be a doctor due to the stressors they face, I hear medical school students saying how they sleep for 5 hours a night and study for 12-15 during the day. I have to spend 8 more years of the prime of my life only to be worried about being on-call all the time, worrying about malpractice, and having little time for anything else? I kind of want to know if these doctors just aren't good fits and if these students just aren't very proactive.

Granted, I love medicine, I love the idea of helping someone's medically related problems. However, at the end of the day, I do just see being a doctor as a job. I've read too many articles saying your job should be your way to make money, and you should find your passions throughout your experiences in you life in all realms of it. However, I realize being a doctor provides you with experiences like no other, and I would say it is my passion to experience as much as I can in my finite amount of time here. However, I'm finding it difficult to surrender so much of this prime time of my life to one singular thing. I really would like to have time during the day to cook dinner, go to the movies, see some friends, etc. and I'm worried that medical school may keep me from this as much as I want the experiences a doctor has. I also find it difficult to believe that some of your guys are as passionate about being doctors as many of these forums say, as many of the other pre-med students at my university that have been accepted aren't even sure if it's a right fit for them.

Because of this, I am really considering PA school now, something that takes 2.5 years of school and still offers a nice compensation along with the positives medicine has to offer and something that I would consider has a much better work/life balance. Maybe I just have pre-medical school jitters as it is causing me to uproot my life and move away in a couple months. I basically would like to know how you medical school students achieve a work/life balance if you have one at all, and know what your opinions are on PAs and how their future job market appears to be. Sorry for such a long post, I just want to convey my situation adequately.

Members don't see this ad.

Surely you've thought about MD/DO vs PA before applying to med school, right?

Reactions: 5 users
Surely you've thought about MD/DO vs PA before applying to med school, right?
Honestly, not entirely until now. I always had this idea that being a doctor would be the epitome of how I could accomplish myself: how I could feel I made a lasting difference. This is what I told myself up until now. So I kind of just rolled with the punches, completing what I needed to get to this point. It's now that I'm starting to realize I would maybe rather "accomplish myself" through other facets in life (i enjoy art, traveling, photography, music, blah blah the list goes on) as well, and I wanted to make sure there was time to be this "renaissance man" for lack of better terms in addition to being a medical student and a doctor.

There is a very good PA program near me that some of my friends are going to, I asked them some questions about PA and they seemed to respond nearly verbatim to the personal concerns I have been having about med school and how PA was their solution.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You get to have a life in medical school. It's what you make of it a lot of the times (things like step cannot be helped though). Shoot, in my first year, I did significantly less work than I did in my undergrad programs. And I had a life.

There are ways to be a doctor and have a good balance. A lot of people feel the way you feel, in that medicine is just a job, etc. More power to them, just as long as everyone who you meet/see gets you at your best and you treat them like family/right.

You'll hear the most happy or angry tell their stories the loudest. If I listened to all the doctors who gave me the old, "I picked wrong. Get out", I'd not be doing this, what I love. That's what doctors do: they bitch and moan, and you will too, at every level of training! But the thing, no matter your path, is that that attitude is light-handed and not filled with true cynicism and resentment, because that's how you become those doctors you saw.

You do you. I'm not trying to sway you one way or another, just my opinions on your situation.

And later in life, you'll be in a good place to experience those things you want to do/see, while being able to see and experience things that only the 1% of the 1% of people get to have: days in the anatomy lab, being with a family that trusts you, delivering the worst news you'll ever give, delivering the best news you'll ever give. Yeah, you study, but as you'll see no matter what you do, if you have a passion about medicine, it's much better than learning an undergraduate course in physics, trust me.

Godspeed, in the truest sense of the word.

Reactions: 5 users
I made this account recently pretty much just to get a feel for what the internet has to say about my situation.

TLDR: i'm accepted to med school but struggling with the idea of work/life balance, passion, time commitment, etc. of medical school, considering PA school (change my mind).

To give you the story- I am a senior double major at my university, 3.93 GPA, 208 MCAT, accepted into 2 med schools, one DO and one MD.
I feel like I am a very proactive student, I put my best into my work and devote a lot of time to school already and feel I have a great work life balance. I don't put things off or procrastinate and I feel confident I can complete medical school, it's now a question of if I want to or not. I've jumped through the hoops of what needs to be done for medical school but am starting to realize with all of the tours I have been on, the students may have a quality I do not: they're insane.

All jokes aside, I have had doctors tell me not to be a doctor due to the stressors they face, I hear medical school students saying how they sleep for 5 hours a night and study for 12-15 during the day. I have to spend 8 more years of the prime of my life only to be worried about being on-call all the time, worrying about malpractice, and having little time for anything else? I kind of want to know if these doctors just aren't good fits and if these students just aren't very proactive.

Granted, I love medicine, I love the idea of helping someone's medically related problems. However, at the end of the day, I do just see being a doctor as a job. I've read too many articles saying your job should be your way to make money, and you should find your passions throughout your experiences in you life in all realms of it. However, I realize being a doctor provides you with experiences like no other, and I would say it is my passion to experience as much as I can in my finite amount of time here. However, I'm finding it difficult to surrender so much of this prime time of my life to one singular thing. I really would like to have time during the day to cook dinner, go to the movies, see some friends, etc. and I'm worried that medical school may keep me from this as much as I want the experiences a doctor has. I also find it difficult to believe that some of your guys are as passionate about being doctors as many of these forums say, as many of the other pre-med students at my university that have been accepted aren't even sure if it's a right fit for them.

Because of this, I am really considering PA school now, something that takes 2.5 years of school and still offers a nice compensation along with the positives medicine has to offer and something that I would consider has a much better work/life balance. Maybe I just have pre-medical school jitters as it is causing me to uproot my life and move away in a couple months. I basically would like to know how you medical school students achieve a work/life balance if you have one at all, and know what your opinions are on PAs and how their future job market appears to be. Sorry for such a long post, I just want to convey my situation adequately.
Bro... please for the love of god go to PA school. do NOT go to medical school. The higher pay is not worth all of the extra stress and enormous amount of BS they force you to put up with. Please. I implore you not to make the same mistake we did. Don't let your pride get the better of you -- just go to PA school, graduate in 2 years, make your $120K per year and be happy. It's too late for us, it's not too late for you.

Reactions: 2 users
The question is, are you cool with not being the best trained person in the room? If you are, go midlevel and don’t look back

Reactions: 11 users
You do not need to study 12-15 hours a day in medical school. Average is honestly closer to 3-6 hours a day.

Reactions: 10 users
I was in a similar situation as you, with very similar concerns, and ultimately ended up going to med school. 100% would have regretted going to PA school.

also, take the MD acceptance and run.

this is a tough choice, what is the approximate tuition for the MD school? also what area of medicine are you lookinf at?

I almost bailed on med school for something else before I started. I was having similar thoughts and almost did something that was likely more lucrative. But now, almost 2 years in, I am very glad I choose to stay the course. Medicine is great

From what you've written here, you should go to medical school. Situation changes if you have multiple young kids or tough family circumstances but you will regret settling for PA school given all the work you put in to get a USMD acceptance

How will you feel when you are the 50 y.o. PA being told what to do by the 30 y.o. fresh out of residency attending?

• Haha
Reactions: 15 users
You do not need to study 12-15 hours a day in medical school. Average is honestly closer to 3-6 hours a day.

For me the issue isn't the actual studying most of the time. It's the unrelenting bull**** on top of the studying that schools force you to jump through.

Reactions: 3 users
would you look back at your life and regret not becoming a physician?
What if you suddenly love surgery 5 years into practice and are a PA?
Are you ok with being a resident for the rest of your life in terms of oversight?
There is a loss of professional autonomy with becoming a midlevel. I know many PAs that regret not going for the MD at the end of the day, time and tribulations of training will pass and you will roughly have 25 years of a career vs 30.

Can you shadow with a PA over the next few months and shadow with a physician and see the differences first hand ?

Nothing wrong with being a PA, and nothing wrong with being an MD. At the end of the day after training even as an MD you may be able to carve out working less time to have income similar to a PA and more time to enjoy in the long run doing the things you love. Or may find a specialty that allows you those pursuits.
Goodluck.

Members don't see this ad :)
You've already done the hard work of getting an MD acceptance. That is no easy feat and you should be proud of yourself. Medical school is rigorous but I've made a lot of great friends and made lasting memories while here, far better than my grueling gap years. As far as MD vs. PA school, at least the PA school affiliated with my institution has enforced attendance for every lecture and lab throughout the entire curriculum. We med students had much more freedom and individualized learning options in the pre-clinical years and that helped to allow us some control over our lives. If you are as disciplined and studious as you suggest you will do fine in medical school and come out on the other end more knowledgeable and ready to lead in a clinical environment.

Can anyone tell me what a 208 translates to in the old 3-45 system?

Here's my advice to would-be premeds: if the goal is to have work-life balance and not feel pigeonholed into one or two specialties, med school is a good idea if someone is legitimately very smart. There are fields in medicine that offer great work:income ratios, and believe it or not, virtually every professional these days works nine-hour+ days.

If your score on the MCAT is mediocre, it's probable that you won't exactly have your pick of specialties in med school. In that case, if you can handle the idea of not being the true authority in the room and simply want to make six figures and live a normal life, midlevel training is a great idea.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Here's my advice to would-be premeds: if the goal is to have work-life balance and not feel pigeonholed into one or two specialties, med school is a good idea if someone is legitimately very smart. There are fields in medicine that offer great work:income ratios, and believe it or not, virtually every professional these days works nine-hour+ days.

If your score on the MCAT is mediocre, it's probable that you won't exactly have your pick of specialties in med school. In that case, if you can handle the idea of not being the true authority in the room and simply want to make six figures and live a normal life, midlevel training is a great idea.

While MCAT may correlate moderately with USMLE scores, it is far from the be all end all. I did far, far better on my USMLE exams that my MCAT would have suggested.

Reactions: 1 user
You get to have a life in medical school. It's what you make of it a lot of the times (things like step cannot be helped though). Shoot, in my first year, I did significantly less work than I did in my undergrad programs. And I had a life.

There are ways to be a doctor and have a good balance. A lot of people feel the way you feel, in that medicine is just a job, etc. More power to them, just as long as everyone who you meet/see gets you at your best and you treat them like family/right.

You'll hear the most happy or angry tell their stories the loudest. If I listened to all the doctors who gave me the old, "I picked wrong. Get out", I'd not be doing this, what I love. That's what doctors do: they bitch and moan, and you will too, at every level of training! But the thing, no matter your path, is that that attitude is light-handed and not filled with true cynicism and resentment, because that's how you become those doctors you saw.

You do you. I'm not trying to sway you one way or another, just my opinions on your situation.

And later in life, you'll be in a good place to experience those things you want to do/see, while being able to see and experience things that only the 1% of the 1% of people get to have: days in the anatomy lab, being with a family that trusts you, delivering the worst news you'll ever give, delivering the best news you'll ever give. Yeah, you study, but as you'll see no matter what you do, if you have a passion about medicine, it's much better than learning an undergraduate course in physics, trust me.

Godspeed, in the truest sense of the word.
Genuinely, thank you for such a well-put answer. I really appreciate it.

508 is roughly a 29.

this is a tough choice, what is the approximate tuition for the MD school? also what area of medicine are you lookinf at?
Tuition by itself for the MD school is insanely cheap. Only like 40,000 per year. But I'm not really worried about that too much. Right now my primary choice is pathology, psychiatry is a bit below that. I definitely can't imagine myself doing surgery or ER.

While MCAT may correlate moderately with USMLE scores, it is far from the be all end all. I did far, far better on my USMLE exams that my MCAT would have suggested.
I agree. Although I was at the 90th percentile of my CI on that chart, there is large variation.
1583112736594.png

Tuition by itself for the MD school is insanely cheap. Only like 40,000 per year. But I'm not really worried about that too much. Right now my primary choice is pathology, psychiatry is a bit below that. I definitely can't imagine myself doing surgery or ER.
In pathology and psych you will be able to have the hourly commitment of a PA , but with better compensation and a longer road.

path is not competitive nor does it compensate the way many other areas of medicine. You can do both as a mid level and go through much less school/training. I have worked with both types of mid level in my life. I would tell you if those are your areas of interest go mid level.

First of all, don't go into medicine at all if you don't love the idea of caring for people, getting fulfillment from treating human illness, learning and dealing with human physiology and pharmacology (etc) and are OK with a little bit of grinding, focus, and b.s. paper work to get there.
But PA isn't the alternative you're looking for. It just isn't. You don't want it. It's still a grind and honestly the career opportunities aren't going to fulfill you as much. You don't want to take time off for this now and delay your studies further.
You can find work life balance in medicine. Make sure you're doing it for the right reasons to begin with, but provided it's the right reasons then stick with this. Med school has OK work life balance. Residency generally is kinda bad but that only lasts as little as 3 years and generally gets much better after intern year. I'm going into FM for instance and I wanna work like 45-50 hours a week in an outpatient setting only. And that's doable and lot of outpatient FM docs are literally doing just that.

Path is a very dangerous field on which to bet.

take the MD acceptance and don’t look back. A few points:

- you won’t start PA school this fall, so effectively you won’t be done with PA school for 3.5 years from now instead of 4.5 for becoming a doctor.... you might also not get into PA school during your first attempt. So there that.

- if you were 5 years older or had a family/kids my advice would be very different. Similarly if you hadn’t already taken the MCAT and gotten accepted to Med school.

- if you decided to become a physician, I guarantee that you WILL regret your decision frequently over the next 7-9 years until you’re done with training. You’ll be glad once it’s all done however. I also promise that if you become a PA you’ll spend most of your life regretting that decision.

- I finished a surgical residency and critical care fellowship at the age of 32. My earning potential is several folds higher. I also have the choice of working a LOT less than a PA and making more money then they do. So, if work-life balance is what you’re all about, you can easily make the argument for becoming a doctor in today’s pay.

- no one knows how the future will change for physicians and PAs. Things might change drastically by the time you’re done. At the end of the day, is it worth giving up your MD acceptance to spare the hardship of residency? PA school is intense, so really you’re taking that option to avoid 3-5 years of residency where you’re working harder for less pay. In return you get 25-35 years of perks. If you’re interested in psych, residency might not be all that bad for you.

Good luck and congratulations on your “problem”

Reactions: 4 users
Also, if you were discussing forfeiting your MD to go into a different field all together I’d entertain that idea. Staying in healthcare and not being a doctor when you had the chance to do so early on in life will be filled with regret.

Reactions: 7 users
The students are insane bc the school made them that way. You likely just have cold feet. Deep breath before the plunge and all that. Given that your interests are relatively non-competitive, MD is the better choice. If you started this thread saying you only want ortho but don’t want to grind then yeah I’d push you to the midlevel door. But to match path or psych you’re chillin pretty hard compared to most of the folks on this site.

Certain fields are off the table as a PA. I was on the fence myself but knew I might want to do something like anesthesia which is dominated by crnas, not PAs.

I would speak to some PA's regarding job prospects as well. There is some angst that NPs are destroying their profession by flooding the market, and with more independent practice capability are preferred by some employers. There is also some politics where NPs try not to hire PA's and prefer to hire their own when they are in managerial positions.

Year 1 PA student here; figured a response from my side of the aisle would be relevant (n=1). Sorry for the intrusion y'all...

In the time it'll take you to gain enough clinical hours for applications (an honest 1.5-2 years), you could be through a majority of med school. Legitimate clinical hours (IMO) = EMT (the barest of them), paramedic, and nurse. If you're not willing to do this, don't enter PA school.

Many students are solely motivated by the perceived lifestyle factor. Our schooling skims over a lot of stuff, which somewhat reinforces the prior notion; we can tell you what something is, but we may not be able to tell you why. If you're not ok with this, don't enter PA school.

You must be willing to work in primary care; it's what the profession was primarily created for. In my program, several of my classmates solely want to be in a subspecialty where they can perform technical work but then go out to party like they're the $h!t. Our education is designed to have us in a primary care setting. If you're not willing to do FM/IM, don't enter PA school.

PA's are in the midst of an identity crisis. NP's are pushing for independence, and in response PA's are proposing an OTP model to keep their place at the table. Personally, I'd think that physicians would prefer having PA's (d/t standardized training in their educational model), but this is tangential to your considerations. If you're not ok with having someone supervise you while other midlevels with lesser training are permitted to do more, don't enter PA school.

Reactions: 4 users
Go to med school. The hardest part is getting in. The day-to-day of med school is not nearly as hard as it's made out to be. Residency blows, but almost everyone makes it.

If you don't, you'll be the PA student, and then the 50 yo PA, who keeps reminding everyone he could have been a doctor, but...

and nobody wants to hear that. And you'll spend the rest of your career refusing to admit to yourself that you regret it.

Reactions: 6 users
I never thought medical school was what it is.

And I was never told otherwise. I wish I was.

Daily, I'm happy to walk in, or go to Wegmans and study, etc. Sure stupid stuff happens, but that's the nature of the beast. Someone didn't upload the lectures? Oh the humanity! Someone's gunnin'?, alright; that's their choice.

They aren't pimp-slapping you across the room if you get a question wrong, or peers trying to slit your tires to make their scores higher.

And if you don't like the idea of being bossed around, neither is for you. Medicine may not even be it. Eventually, someone will be in charge of you. Regardless if its PA or MD school, this is medicine, and you'll have things like insurance, putting up with the system, working to the bone sometimes. Hell, PA school would spit you into the market even quicker = more time for the chance to call that lawsuit your own, or even get less sleep certain nights!

If it is cold feet, then rest assured, you'll go, "was that....was that it?...." once you actually go and start medical school.

And you know what? If you go and say, "this is stupid", then switch. But once you call out of your acceptance, you're done with this road.

If I hadn't fallen in love with surgery I would have been happy as a nurse-midwife. As it stands, I feel confident that I can help any mom in any situation.

I am entering residency this year and boy, i regret everything about med school. I wish I wouldve gone PA route. I too, see medicine as just a career. At the end of the day, you'll be working for someone else, i.e hospital , another group, another doctor. Who cares, life is too short for all this "reputation." There has been so much time wasted in med school learning about random crap, sitting on rotations wishing you could do something related to your specialty, I would've gladly gone to PA school 100%.

Last edited:
I am entering residency this year and boy, i regret everything about med school. I wish I wouldve gone PA route. I too, see medicine as just a career. At the end of the day, you'll be working for someone else, i.e hospital , another group, another doctor. Who cares, life is too short for all this "reputation." There has been so much time wasted in med school learning about random crap, sitting on rotations wishing you could do something related to your specialty, I would've gladly gone to PA school 100%. I see my friends living their life and most importantly, your family and parents are growing older.

Lol so you’re dreading residency but you’d rather be in residency for life? A PA’s role is of a junior resident, you’d be a a junior resident for perpetuity.

Honestly, not entirely until now. I always had this idea that being a doctor would be the epitome of how I could accomplish myself: how I could feel I made a lasting difference. This is what I told myself up until now. So I kind of just rolled with the punches, completing what I needed to get to this point. It's now that I'm starting to realize I would maybe rather "accomplish myself" through other facets in life (i enjoy art, traveling, photography, music, blah blah the list goes on) as well, and I wanted to make sure there was time to be this "renaissance man" for lack of better terms in addition to being a medical student and a doctor.

There is a very good PA program near me that some of my friends are going to, I asked them some questions about PA and they seemed to respond nearly verbatim to the personal concerns I have been having about med school and how PA was their solution.

Being a PA, especially in a sub specialty is like being stuck in a junior resident’s role forever. That’s not a knock on them, I have worked with excellent PAs, but it is what it is. In surgery, they are not even allowed to make a decision on what post op DVT prophylaxis to give or what pain medication to give. They are told what to do, and they do precisely what they are told. If you’re content with this, then by all means.

If you would have said some other field, I’d have entertained it, but if you got into med school and are considering PA, you wouldn’t be content. You’d always want more, and you’d always question your decision. You have to be content with carrying out orders exactly how they have been conveyed, and be ready to swallow your pride when you act independently or disobey the orders.

Last edited:
take the MD acceptance and don’t look back. A few points:

- you won’t start PA school this fall, so effectively you won’t be done with PA school for 3.5 years from now instead of 4.5 for becoming a doctor.... you might also not get into PA school during your first attempt. So there that.

- if you were 5 years older or had a family/kids my advice would be very different. Similarly if you hadn’t already taken the MCAT and gotten accepted to Med school.

- if you decided to become a physician, I guarantee that you WILL regret your decision frequently over the next 7-9 years until you’re done with training. You’ll be glad once it’s all done however. I also promise that if you become a PA you’ll spend most of your life regretting that decision.

- I finished a surgical residency and critical care fellowship at the age of 32. My earning potential is several folds higher. I also have the choice of working a LOT less than a PA and making more money then they do. So, if work-life balance is what you’re all about, you can easily make the argument for becoming a doctor in today’s pay.

- no one knows how the future will change for physicians and PAs. Things might change drastically by the time you’re done. At the end of the day, is it worth giving up your MD acceptance to spare the hardship of residency? PA school is intense, so really you’re taking that option to avoid 3-5 years of residency where you’re working harder for less pay. In return you get 25-35 years of perks. If you’re interested in psych, residency might not be all that bad for you.

Good luck and congratulations on your “problem”

This is probably the best advice you'll see here. As a current third year... I can tell you the time absolutely flies. And it'll suck in the moment but you get through it. Take the MD and run! You've arguably gotten through the hardest part of the process...securing an acceptance, to an MD school nonetheless. One can make the argument that it really is all downhill from here. Think about why you even decided to apply in the first place. Then think about the cold feet you're getting, (that a lot of us get prior to starting medical school).

A lot of Med students who claim to study 12-15 hrs a day aren’t very efficient, and a lot of that time is lost to socializing during “study groups”, social media, and just general goofing off. I would guess that they actually get between 6-8 hours of real studying done.

learn to buckle down and focus, and you can use those 6-8 hours effectively, and have plenty of time for family, hobbies, faith, etc.

Last edited:
I’m nearly through medical school and recommend you take the MD. Medical school does not have to be your entire life. It’s quite a lot of work and sacrifices need to be made, but everyone I know is a well-adjusted person with lives outside of school.

What everyone said.

I don't regret getting the MD or currently doing a diagnostic radiology residency. If I had to everything all over again, I would still pick going to medical school and becoming a radiologist.

True. Most people like to only remember the worst days. They’ll tell you how hard they studied for boards and finals week, but they either forget to tell you about the other 45 weeks of the year, or they like to have you believe that every week was finals week.