This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mr. R

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Have anyone decided to accept multiple DPT offers to, later on, attend the school that provides the best Financial Aid package? I understand that this can raise an ethical dilemma. The sooner I deny an offer, the sooner the school can contact a waitlist applicant. I got in two state schools, and neither one of them requires a deposit to secure a spot.

I appreciate any feedback.
Thank you,

Members don't see this ad.

Hi All,

Have anyone decided to accept multiple DPT offers to, later on, attend the school that provides the best Financial Aid package? I understand that this can raise an ethical dilemma. The sooner I deny an offer, the sooner the school can contact a waitlist applicant. I got in two state schools, and neither one of them requires a deposit to secure a spot.

I appreciate any feedback.
Thank you,

You got into both and are undecided. I don't see an ethical issues. You earned your acceptance and have every right to keep them both until you make a decision.

Reactions: 1 users
You got into both and are undecided. I don't see an ethical issues. You earned your acceptance and have every right to keep them both until you make a decision.
Thank you for the input NJ DPT HOPEFUL.

Members don't see this ad :)
Attempt to contact the financial aid offices at both schools to get an estimate of when packages will be awarded. If it's extremely late/close to the start of school or after the scholarship application period, I think you should give up one of your spots. I say this due to the fact that when I was pulled off of the waitlist, I was unable to apply for scholarships because the deadline had already passed. Put yourself in the shoes of someone on the waitlist and ask yourself how that would feel.

Reactions: 2 users
Both of your schools don't have a deadline for making your decisions? @Mr. R

Reactions: 1 user

I think @Mr. R is talking about formally accepting an admissions offer at more than one school. One thing you should be aware of is that schools that have accepted you can see if you've accepted another offer. At some programs, you could risk loosing your spot if you do this and the school notices. It's also a bummer for the school (they need to get their class in order) and definitely for students who are on the waitlists at these schools.

Contact the financial aid offices at both programs and get as much information as you can. Financial aid packages will typically be the same at most programs (Loans up to the cost of attendance), and if the program offers scholarships, work-study, grants, etc, you'll be able to find this out when you talk to the financial aid people. It's not ideal, but it's what we all have to do, unfortunately.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I think anybody that receives more than one offer usually needs some time to come up with a decision and sometimes ends up accepting more than one spot. However like @astarblaze said, schools can see how many spots you've been offered and accepted. I wouldn't go as far as saying it can cost you your spot, but I wouldn't wait too long before making a decision and waiting until financial aid awards are given is -in my opinion- way too long as this is generally very close to the start of the school and schools might check that you have committed to them before awarding you something.

It's true that you've earned your spot in both of those classes, however just because you can do something doesn't mean you should. I agree with you that this is an ethical dilemma, I think calling the financial aid office is a good compromise and can get you your answer while still helping out a fellow waitlisted applicant.

I think @Mr. R is talking about formally accepting an admissions offer at more than one school. First of all, this is against the PTCAS rules that you agreed to when applying through PTCAS. And schools that have accepted you can see if you've accepted another offer, so you could risk loosing one or both of your spots if you do this and the schools notice. Not to mention that it's a dick move for the school (they need to get their class in order) and definitely for students who are on the waitlists at these schools.

Contact the financial aid offices at both programs and get as much information as you can. Financial aid packages will typically be the same at most programs (Loans up to the cost of attendance), and if the program offers scholarships, work-study, grants, etc, you'll be able to find this out when you talk to the financial aid people. It's not ideal, but it's what we all have to do, unfortunately.

Just out of curiosity, how are schools able to see if you have accepted another offer?

@lpdpt22, from the PTCAS FAQ:

"
Q: Does one program know whether I applied to or have been accepted by other programs in PTCAS?
A: Beginning in early spring 2017, any designated PTCAS program that offers you admission will know how many offers of admission you have received from and accepted at other PTCAS institutions. Programs will not know how many applications you have submitted, to which programs you have submitted them, or any other admissions decisions made by other PT programs at that time. After the completion of the 2016-17 admissions cycle in fall 2017, programs will be able to view the other programs designated by their applicants and the final admission decision reported by each competing institution in PTCAS."

I would say it is fine to officially accept at more than 1 program, because lets face it programs are not all on the same timeline and you find out the status at different times. You may still be debating about one program and another and need a little more time than the allotted "2 weeks" etc. But I would say it is your due diligence to let the program know once you make the decision that you will not be attending them anymore ASAP.

@lpdpt22, from the PTCAS FAQ:

"
Q: Does one program know whether I applied to or have been accepted by other programs in PTCAS?
A: Beginning in early spring 2017, any designated PTCAS program that offers you admission will know how many offers of admission you have received from and accepted at other PTCAS institutions. Programs will not know how many applications you have submitted, to which programs you have submitted them, or any other admissions decisions made by other PT programs at that time. After the completion of the 2016-17 admissions cycle in fall 2017, programs will be able to view the other programs designated by their applicants and the final admission decision reported by each competing institution in PTCAS."

Did not notice that! Thank you for sharing!!

They do have deadlines, but you do not get an ID number to process your financial aid package until you officially accept an offer.

That's an enviable position to be in! Congratulations! Accept the cheapest school ASAP!

Be aware that all of your target programs can see in PTCAS whether you are holding seats at other programs and how many seats you are holding. Some schools do not look kindly upon holding place in more than one program, especially if their program is one of them. During my visit to the University of Delaware, the program director said they actually revoke offers from students who continue to hold seats in other programs after accepting an offer from UD. I don't know how many other schools do this. But all of them theoretically could. And why wouldn't they, if their waitlist is long and you are unreliable?

Holding multiple spots isn't really good for anybody, including you. You think you're keeping your options open, but really you're just procrastinating a scary decision that you've actually already made. (If you're honest with yourself, you already have a top choice among the schools you got into.) This costs you extra deposits and the anxiety of prolonged uncertainty, it taxes the school's resources, and it leaves waitlisted students having to scramble for housing, etc at the last minute after you finally make up your mind about where you want to go. (Can I get an "Amen!" from the waitlist set?)

Get down to business picking your top choice from among the places who've admitted you so far, and let the others go. If and when you get a better offer, take it and drop the current one. If you're on the fence, do the pros and cons and choose soon.

Reactions: 6 users
I heard an acceptance from my first school at the beginning of January. At the time, I still had 13 schools I hadn't heard a word from. I waited until the very last day of my 2 weeks to deposit trying to give these schools a chance to at least communicate somehow, but I had to deposit to make sure I had a seat somewhere. Wouldn't you know I got into the school I really wanted about 3 weeks after blowing this deposit money.

I think the real problem with this situation is the schools & their timeline for notification. As of today, I'm still waiting on any kind of communication from 3-4 schools. It's the end of March. I really don't know what schools expect when you're forced to decide things in a 2 week time frame & left worrying what if you don't hear from anywhere else. In regards to the financial aid part of the question, if undergraduate programs can send financial aid packages before you've made a commitment, why can't graduate programs? It's not right to essentially force people to blow deposit money left & right, because they're scared nothing else will come through. At least provide all the information needed to make an informed decision.

Reactions: 2 users