Active Duty to HPSP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gilbz

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I applied this past cycle as an active duty Air Force officer. I got the conditional release from my commander and admitted to med school, but I was just put on the "alternate" list for HPSP. I heard that you can apply to HPSP from other branches even as an active duty member, but I am sure it is more complicated than the civilian route. Does anyone have experience or knowledge about this? I realize that it is late in the process, but I would love to try to do Navy HPSP (or even HCSP if that's possible). Also, if you are currently on active duty and applying this cycle feel, free to ask any questions. This process is pretty confusing.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I applied this past cycle as an active duty Air Force officer. I got the conditional release from my commander and admitted to med school, but I was just put on the "alternate" list for HPSP. I heard that you can apply to HPSP from other branches even as an active duty member, but I am sure it is more complicated than the civilian route. Does anyone have experience or knowledge about this? I realize that it is late in the process, but I would love to try to do Navy HPSP (or even HCSP if that's possible). Also, if you are currently on active duty and applying this cycle feel, free to ask any questions. This process is pretty confusing.
You'd probably have better luck asking Navy Health recruiters about this. Go to the Navy website, and on the homepage there's a questionnaire. It says, "I want to learn more about...." and you should select "joining the Navy." Then select "full time", then "graduate" then "HPSP" or "HSCP." Then, select your field "Physician." Continue filling out the rest of the form, submit, and a Navy recruiter should reach out to you. If you have trouble getting in contact with someone, go to the HPSP Facebook page, and post a message about your situation. There are thousands of people on that page, many with experience and contacts who can help you out. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I applied to HPSP and HSCP in active duty and actually was given both, which I ultimately turned down to go to USUHS. I was informed by the Navy that I could only apply for another branch’s HPSP if I were rejected by the Navy. Your best bet would be to contact a Navy medical recruiter and then explain to them your situation so that they can ensure you’re good to accept a Navy scholarship if you were to get one.

HSCP is probably a nonstarter this late. I got notified that I would be getting it in March last year, and when I turned it down the next guy accepted it (was a friend of mine actually). They only had one spot last year, and it fluctuates from 1-2. But you can ask the recruiter about that.

What did you have to do to get into med school while active duty? In the army, and trying to go to med school while active and I have found next to no information. Biggest hurdle would be my branch allowing me to get released.

What did you have to do to get into med school while active duty? In the army, and trying to go to med school while active and I have found next to no information. Biggest hurdle would be my branch allowing me to get released.

First step: Have all pre-requisites done.

While you are working on your pre-reqs you should be discussing with your chain of command about conditional release and that whole process. They will want you to show why they should release you and what things you have already done for your alternate career pathway (medicine).

Different services have different accession programs in to military medicine. Reach out to a recruiter who will go over the options for the service you are interested in. I like to separate them in to USUHS and non-USUHS options. Non-USUHS is very service-specific and recruiters are essential.

If you like USUHS option and still have undergrad pre-reqs to complete look in to EMDP2 option (Uniformed Services University).
If you already have all pre-reqs done and get accepted to a USUHS spot in the same service then your current command/service will almost always release you since you'll be committing to active service for much longer than any contract you currently have.

First step: Have all pre-requisites done.

While you are working on your pre-reqs you should be discussing with your chain of command about conditional release and that whole process. They will want you to show why they should release you and what things you have already done for your alternate career pathway (medicine).

Different services have different accession programs in to military medicine. Reach out to a recruiter who will go over the options for the service you are interested in. I like to separate them in to USUHS and non-USUHS options. Non-USUHS is very service-specific and recruiters are essential.

If you like USUHS option and still have undergrad pre-reqs to complete look in to EMDP2 option (Uniformed Services University).
If you already have all pre-reqs done and get accepted to a USUHS spot in the same service then your current command/service will almost always release you since you'll be committing to active service for much longer than any contract you currently have.

Have all the pre-reqs done, but I am waiting for a recruiter to respond to me. Unfortunately the EMDP2 isnt an option for me since Im an officer and everything I've read into it is that it is enlisted only. But I guess I'll look more into the USUHS than I have.

Gotcha. Yeah. EMDP2 not an option for you.

USUHS is a big life decision and most on this forum would likely steer you away from it due to the 7 year commitment requirement and many many unknowns with MilMed right now. I don't disagree (even though I really loved USUHS) because I understand most premeds aren't willing to commit 7 years and accept lots of unknowns for their medical career. That being said, if you're planning a full military career anyway and understand the pitfalls then USUHS makes a lot of sense. You need a pre-approval from your command to apply. https://www.usuhs.edu/sites/default/files/media/adm/interview/noticemilapps.pdf

There are different non-USUHS options which are specific to the Army and the recruiter will be able to help you learn about those. The main one is HPSP which requires medical school acceptance to be considered. But like you said, basic premise is that you will need conditional release from your command/service branch to apply to medical school and pursue military medical scholarship programs.

You'd probably have better luck asking Navy Health recruiters about this. Go to the Navy website, and on the homepage there's a questionnaire. It says, "I want to learn more about...." and you should select "joining the Navy." Then select "full time", then "graduate" then "HPSP" or "HSCP." Then, select your field "Physician." Continue filling out the rest of the form, submit, and a Navy recruiter should reach out to you. If you have trouble getting in contact with someone, go to the HPSP Facebook page, and post a message about your situation. There are thousands of people on that page, many with experience and contacts who can help you out. Good luck!

Thank you, I will start this process on Monday!

I applied to HPSP and HSCP in active duty and actually was given both, which I ultimately turned down to go to USUHS. I was informed by the Navy that I could only apply for another branch’s HPSP if I were rejected by the Navy. Your best bet would be to contact a Navy medical recruiter and then explain to them your situation so that they can ensure you’re good to accept a Navy scholarship if you were to get one.

HSCP is probably a nonstarter this late. I got notified that I would be getting it in March last year, and when I turned it down the next guy accepted it (was a friend of mine actually). They only had one spot last year, and it fluctuates from 1-2. But you can ask the recruiter about that.

Okay, good to know. Sounds like HPSP is better for me anyways due to my school's tuition. Glad to hear it's not too late for that too! I think the biggest hurdle for me will be the Air Force letting a pilot switch branches, especially with the pilot shortage going on. I already crossed branches from the Naval Academy to the Air Force so I hope they won't view me trying to switch back with too much negativity. Thanks for the advice!

What militaryPHYS said is correct. I think it's important to be open and honest with your command, while continuing to perform well at work so they will advocate for you. I had to get a conditional release signed by my Wing commander which says you can apply to HPSP (or USUHS but I didn't apply there) and that if you are accepted, they will release you for the scholarship. After that, I submitted that letter up through our personnel center (AFPC) in November. It helps to have an acceptance when you submit but it's not required, technically you only need to be within a year of the start date of med schools to begin this process. I kept making calls on the status and eventually that letter ended up at the Physician Education Branch at AFPC. In February, they sent me application instructions to apply for HPSP specifically for active duty. Unfortunately, for the Air Force you compete against only active duty applicants for a limited amount of spots and from my experience it seems very competitive (or maybe it's just a luck and timing thing). This is why I am not optimistic about getting off the alternate list, because an active duty person would have to give up their scholarship.

I know you are army, but here is the link to the Air Force website: Medical School Scholarships

That link has instructions for how to apply as active duty from the Air Force, but maybe it will give you some guidelines and help figure things out in the Army.

Last edited:
Graduated from USNA, and spent a semester at the Air Force Academy as a MIDN. I hope everything works out for you :)

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
For future applicants looking at this thread I'll let you know how it played out:

AFPC held a teleconference with all active duty HPSP applicants. Each year they have a certain number of active duty slots, but they have to give the scholarships to academy and ROTC applicants if they get into medical school. This year was an anomaly in which they filled their civilian quota and a lot of Air Force ROTC and academy applicants chose HPSP over USUHS. By the time it got to us active duty applicants there were no HPSP slots left. We were told that if anybody (civilians or active duty) dropped their scholarships, we would get them. On May 8, a week after we were all told we were alternates (about 10 active duty people total in this year's applicant pool), we all got picked up for HPSP!

Reactions: 3 users
For future applicants looking at this thread I'll let you know how it played out:

AFPC held a teleconference with all active duty HPSP applicants. Each year they have a certain number of active duty slots, but they have to give the scholarships to academy and ROTC applicants if they get into medical school. This year was an anomaly in which they filled their civilian quota and a lot of Air Force ROTC and academy applicants chose HPSP over USUHS. By the time it got to us active duty applicants there were no HPSP slots left. We were told that if anybody (civilians or active duty) dropped their scholarships, we would get them. On May 8, a week after we were all told we were alternates (about 10 active duty people total in this year's applicant pool), we all got picked up for HPSP!
So happy for you! Congratulations!

Thank you! That was one stressful week haha

Congrats!

If you’re going from active duty to HPSP student status, are you moved into inactive reserve, kept on fulltime active duty, or what? Did you first have to complete flight school ADSO to be eligible for HPSP?

Did you do a on your own post bac? Or Something

Yes, I took night classes at UC Berkeley Extension! There was no application but I had to pay for each class out of pocket. All I had to do was sign up for the classes online then show up. I was very up front about my situation with my professors. I missed over half the lectures because I was flying international missions but I would request leave for final exams. Some professors were more lenient than others. Also, I never figured out how to take the labs that I hadn't done in college (O chem and Bio) because of my work schedule, but luckily I got into a program with no specific course prerequisites. I would definitely NOT bank on that happening though.

Last edited:
Congrats!

If you’re going from active duty to HPSP student status, are you moved into inactive reserve, kept on fulltime active duty, or what? Did you first have to complete flight school ADSO to be eligible for HPSP?

Just before medical school begins, I will separate from the Air Force and then immediately commission as an officer in the reserves so there is no gap in service. At the beginning of the application process, you submit a request for voluntary separation on vMPF. In this voluntary separation request you will also indicate that you will accept a commission in the reserves. (more info and program coordinator contacts here: Medical School Scholarships)

I did not have to complete my flight school ADSO. I graduated from pilot training in October 2016 and will have just over 6 years left on my committment when I begin medical school. From what I understand, the HPSP ADSO is added onto your previously existing ADSO (pretty sure they will have me sign some new documents soon establishing this). You cannot serve that committment back during medical school or residency, so that ADSO will be pushed back until after residency (unless you become a flight surgeon).

If you need to back up the pilot ADSO with documentation, according to AFI 11-405 paragraph 3.2.1 (the pilot physician program AFI) pilot applicants will have "Completed UFT and a minimum of three years of operational flying. In some cases the length of the operational flying requirement may be waived by the PPP PD." This doesn't lock you into the pilot physician program, because to apply to it you have to have an MD, be a rated pilot, and volunteer for it. However, it may prove useful when explaining the situation to your commander or if you do wish to pursue that program.

Yes, I took night classes at UC Berkeley Extension! There was no application but I had to pay for each class out of pocket. All I had to do was sign up for the classes online then show up. I was very up front about my situation with my professors. I missed over half the lectures because I was flying international missions but I would request leave for final exams. Some professors were more lenient than others. Also, I never figured out how to take the labs that I hadn't done in college (O chem and Bio) because of my work schedule, but luckily I got into a program with no specific course prerequisites. I would definitely NOT bank on that happening though.

That’s impressive perseverance! I remember when I was taking the prereqs and applying, all-online classes were generally frowned upon and many med schools straight up didn’t accept any online coursework. I wonder if they are going to reevaluate this hardline position in light of COVID and higher education embracing online format.

Thanks! Yes online classes would make it so much less stressful for certain people (myself included). Hopefully it does change. Now that med schools are webcasting lectures and much of the first two years are done online, you would think admissions wouldn't view it so negatively. But you're right, I am sure online will be accepted eventually!

Just saw this thread. Here to throw in my 2cents on Air Force Personnel Command and HPSP recruiters.
I did 5 years AF active duty time as a cyber officer and was looking to transition to HPSP . AFPC was not willing to let go of any 17DB (I guess it's changed again), but said they would throw me a $15k/yr retention bonus.
I started applying anyway to HPSP recruiters in the fall 2016 since my service commitment finished in May 2017. Air Force recruiters wouldn't give me the time of day without being released from my career even though I would definitely be separated by the time school started. They said I needed to wait until May before they could start anything (when all the spots are already gone).
Navy and Army talked with me from day 1 and said it wouldn't be any problem to backdate everything and let me stay active duty until the day before med school. Now I'm a third year Navy HPSP student.

PS Congrats!

Thanks! Glad things ended up working out for you too. There is so little information out there for active duty to HPSP, everything I learned about it was from word of mouth. Hopefully future applicants can look back at this thread to get a better picture.

Hi I am active duty and want to apply for HPSP but when I contacted a recruiter he told me active duty is different and that he only works with reserves. He said active duty has a different procedure. How did you apply for the program when you did.

Hi I am active duty and want to apply for HPSP but when I contacted a recruiter he told me active duty is different and that he only works with reserves. He said active duty has a different procedure. How did you apply for the program when you did.

I had to get a conditional release signed by my wing commander. Here is some info for the Air Force path: Medical School Scholarships

Just click the link for active duty application instructions. You will have to get that package signed and then submit an application for conditional release through personnel (AFPC for the Air Force).

Make sure you stay on top of it and complete all the admin during the application cycle. It takes a while to get it all done, but it should speed up once you have an acceptance.