ste_0

2+ Year Member
Jul 30, 2015
I ride polar bears ;)
Status
Medical Student
Hi everyone,

I am a Canadian and currently applying this cycle to U.S MD and D.O schools. I wanted to get some insight into whether I need/should address a lower MCAT retake score in my secondaries (when questions are appropriate).

I took the MCAT 3 times in total over 3 summers.
1st score: PS:11 VR:9 BS:10 WS: M 30M
2nd score: PS12 VR:7 BS:10 WS: Q 29Q
3rd score: PS:12 VR:9 BS: 12 33

I received a 9 on my first attempt with 1 month of VR practice. I decided to retake due to my low writing score, and with 3 months of VR practice I ended up with a 7VR :(.

Does anyone think this is a red flag and should be address somewhere? I don't have a strong explanation but the proctor during my 2nd test kept walking into my view during VR and it really disrupted my thought process. I feel like mentioning this would only be an excuse.

gannicus89

2+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2015
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Nope. Please don't. It's going to make you look bad.

OP
S

ste_0

2+ Year Member
Jul 30, 2015
I ride polar bears ;)
Status
Medical Student
Thank you for your input. Yes, I also felt it was unnecessary. I just thought not addressing it would cause more issues. More insight is welcomed!

sovereign0

2+ Year Member
Dec 22, 2014
Status
Medical Student
Don't bring it up. While it is a red flag, there's nothing you can really say which would address it or make it better.

Does anyone think this is a red flag and should be address somewhere? I don't have a strong explanation but the proctor during my 2nd test kept walking into my view during VR and it really disrupted my thought process.
And saying this would make it worse. You mean to say that the proctor doing his job by walking around not only negated the 3 months you spent studying, but it caused you to drop 2 points?? What will happen when you're putting a chest tube in a trauma patient in an ER, and you've got medical staff and family buzzing around you?

I don't mean to be rude, but I'm trying to poke at what an Adcom might think when they read that excuse...

Reactions: Goro and ste_0

GrapesofRath

2+ Year Member
May 5, 2015
Status
Non-Student
Hi everyone,

I am a Canadian and currently applying this cycle to U.S MD and D.O schools. I wanted to get some insight into whether I need/should address a lower MCAT retake score in my secondaries (when questions are appropriate).

I took the MCAT 3 times in total over 3 summers.
1st score: PS:11 VR:9 BS:10 WS: M 30M
2nd score: PS12 VR:7 BS:10 WS: Q 29Q
3rd score: PS:12 VR:9 BS: 12 33

I received a 9 on my first attempt with 1 month of VR practice. I decided to retake due to my low writing score, and with 3 months of VR practice I ended up with a 7VR :(.

Does anyone think this is a red flag and should be address somewhere? I don't have a strong explanation but the proctor during my 2nd test kept walking into my view during VR and it really disrupted my thought process. I feel like mentioning this would only be an excuse.
Blaming people in an essay is one of the worst things imaginable you could do for your admission choices. And yes, this will come across blaming and not taking accountability for your actions even if the proctor was doing something they weren't supposed to and your criticism is 100% valid.

Reactions: Goro
OP
S

ste_0

2+ Year Member
Jul 30, 2015
I ride polar bears ;)
Status
Medical Student
You answered your own question.
Don't bring it up. While it is a red flag, there's nothing you can really say which would address it or make it better.

And saying this would make it worse. You mean to say that the proctor doing his job by walking around not only negated the 3 months you spent studying, but it caused you to drop 2 points?? What will happen when you're putting a chest tube in a trauma patient in an ER, and you've got medical staff and family buzzing around you?

I don't mean to be rude, but I'm trying to poke at what an Adcom might think when they read that excuse...
Not rude at all. What you are saying is exactly how I felt when I reflect on what happened. I would not have provided that explanation and only brought it up to get a discussion.

Can anyone gauge how severe this flag is? I assume I should be preparing myself to address possible questions if I ever get a II.

Last edited:

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
Concur with this and Grapo's post.

OP, save explanations for the interview.

GrapesofRath

2+ Year Member
May 5, 2015
Status
Non-Student
Not rude at all. What you are saying is exactly how I felt when I reflect on what happened. I would not have provided that explanation and only brought it up to get a discussion.

Can anyone gauge how severe this flag is? I assume I should be preparing myself to address possible questions if I ever get a II.
There comes a point you just have to accept your scores for what they are. Your scores are pretty similar across the board the 3 times you took it with the exception of the 7 in verbal. They can be competitive for lower tiers. How much schools will have an issue with taking the MCAT 3 times will vary by school. Some won't care too much. Some it will be a definite issue. Some will perceive it as poor decision making; others won't really have too much of an issue with it. All you can do is apply. Assuming your GPA is competitive, you it is possible to be competitive with these MCAT scores for lower tier schools.

OP
S

ste_0

2+ Year Member
Jul 30, 2015
I ride polar bears ;)
Status
Medical Student
There comes a point you just have to accept your scores for what they are. Your scores are pretty similar across the board the 3 times you took it with the exception of the 7 in verbal. They can be competitive for lower tiers. How much schools will have an issue with taking the MCAT 3 times will vary by school. Some won't care too much. Some it will be a definite issue. Some will perceive it as poor decision making; others won't really have too much of an issue with it. All you can do is apply. Assuming your GPA is competitive, you it is possible to be competitive with these MCAT scores for lower tier schools.
I don't think my GPA is that competitive, especially as a Canadian. My BCPM is 3.72 AO is 3.81 for a total of 3.75. I do have a upward trend where my last 2 years are 3.95+

GrapesofRath

2+ Year Member
May 5, 2015
Status
Non-Student
I don't think my GPA is that competitive, especially as a Canadian. My BCPM is 3.72 AO is 3.81 for a total of 3.75. I do have a upward trend where my last 2 years are 3.95+
Your stats are completely fine for DO programs.