Addressing PE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Source? And how can you possibly know that it’s going to be out in 12 months?

There are rumors with emails from NBME enticing senior students and residents to try out their upcoming Competency Exam. Google it. Pics are posted on the net somewhere.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
There are rumors with emails from NBME enticing senior students and residents to try out their upcoming Competency Exam. Google it. Pics are posted on the net somewhere.
Maybe I'm not doing a good search, but i couldn't find any info or pics on this

Reactions: 1 users
Maybe I'm not doing a good search, but i couldn't find any info or pics on this
I am pretty sure the one pic I saw was not a residency competency exam. It was for testing a virtual clinical competency exam for med students. Basically a virtual CS.

A residency competency exam makes zero sense and would get very heavy pushback from pretty much everyone. I have some serious doubts this is what their plan is

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Does anyone else notice anything interesting about this? There is no John Gimpel anywhere on this page that I can find... they make it appear as if the president/CEO of the NBOME isn’t involved in the “special commission”. Makes me wonder (and this is pure speculation) that he lost so much credibility over the last year that he is on his way out. I can’t think of anyone who is more deserving of being fired then Gimpel!

• Hmm

Does anyone else notice anything interesting about this? There is no John Gimpel anywhere on this page that I can find... they make it appear as if the president/CEO of the NBOME isn’t involved in the “special commission”. Makes me wonder (and this is pure speculation) that he lost so much credibility over the last year that he is on his way out. I can’t think of anyone who is more deserving of being fired then Gimpel!

Very possible.

He has like 20 years in. Probably has a nice retirement. It'd be the perfect time for the board to ask him to "retire."

He's probably just salty. He'll sign whenever they come up with a PE equivalent

Everybody check your email (spam too) for the survey from the special commission from NBOME about the PE. Time to rip them apart

Everybody check your email (spam too) for the survey from the special commission from NBOME about the PE. Time to rip them apart
I somehow never get NBOME's emails. Anyone have a link?

Also, got emailed about my refund today!

1614641325239.png
This is my favorite question of the survey. Give us evidence your opinion matters....

• Wow
Reactions: 9 users

He has lost zero credibility in their eyes because this has never been about credibility. The NBOME is a business and the CEO has certainly always acted at the boards discretion or within their purview. What happened is someone with some PR sense stepped in and took over communications. He isn’t on the committee because they want the decisions of the committee to be free from any perceived “conflict of interests” even though the committee is not independent by any definition. Using this strategy, when they come up with the best way to grift the Class of 2022, they will point to these sham surveys and the Gimpel-less committee and say “But this is what you wanted!”

• Hmm
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
He has lost zero credibility in their eyes because this has never been about credibility. The NBOME is a business and the CEO has certainly always acted at the boards discretion or within their purview. What happened is someone with some PR sense stepped in and took over communications. He isn’t on the committee because they want the decisions of the committee to be free from any perceived “conflict of interests” even though the committee is not independent by any definition. Using this strategy, when they come up with the best way to grift the Class of 2022, they will point to these sham surveys and the Gimpel-less committee and say “But this is what you wanted!”
I was thinking about this as I did the survey....what is the likelihood that the true results of this survey are actually shared with us? I'd imagine it would overwhelmingly reveal responses against the PE (or any other form it could take), but I have doubts those results will ever see the light of day.

I was thinking about this as I did the survey....what is the likelihood that the true results of this survey are actually shared with us? I'd imagine it would overwhelmingly reveal responses against the PE (or any other form it could take), but I have doubts those results will ever see the light of day.
The NBOME will never act in the best interests of the students. To do so would mean they could not profit off of us, which would mean they would cease to exist as they do now.

The NBOME will never act in the best interests of the students. To do so would mean they could not profit off of us, which would mean they would cease to exist as they do now.
My school has kind of been hinting that something school-based is coming. I'm not sure how much value to put into it, but I'm thinking schools may just host a mini version of the PE. It's been suggested that this wouldn't cost us anything.

• Hmm
When it asks for evidence everyone should mention that the evidence currently in use in favor of PE is based on a poorly structured study with a conflict of interest to boot.

When it asks for evidence everyone should mention that the evidence currently in use in favor of PE is based on a poorly structured study with a conflict of interest to boot.
Also mention that the burden of proof is their responsibility, not ours. Maybe if they released their grading criteria and detailed examples of why someone failed, we could provide them with some evidence of how worthless the exam was.

Reactions: 5 users
My school has kind of been hinting that something school-based is coming. I'm not sure how much value to put into it, but I'm thinking schools may just host a mini version of the PE. It's been suggested that this wouldn't cost us anything.
Would this be for fourth years or third years next year?

are they going to charge you all 1200 dollars to give each other back rubs on zoom?

In all fairness, they’re still waiting for survey results

• Haha
Well tic toc bitches, we graduate in 60 days
On your last day come back and take fake PE at your school even though you live hundreds of miles away because you go to a DO school and therefore get shipped off somewhere for rotations lol. PERFECT

Reactions: 5 users
im still impressed they remember to release a statement every Thursday.

Gimple is def not at the helm of this endeavor. lol

When people ask me what a DO is I always respond that it is evidence-based medicine…… Except for OMM

Don't forget to fill out the survey. Please do it. Please select anything besides the "standardized assessment" choices. Make it clear they are being ridiculous when they think we need even more assessment other than 2 years OMM lab plus 2 years real rotations with real patients.

Don't forget to fill out the survey. Please do it. Please select anything besides the "standardized assessment" choices. Make it clear they are being ridiculous when they think we need even more assessment other than 2 years OMM lab plus 2 years real rotations with real patients.
Just realize that they likely could not care less about the results of that survey.

Just realize that they likely could not care less about the results of that survey.
No ****, dude, but it's better to spend the 5 minutes doing it than not. Anyone with an account older than 1 week old on SDN surely isn't naive enough to think they will respond intelligently and rationally to the survey lol. It still needs to be said that we hate them and that there is no reason for a standardized PE at the school level either. An absence of response is an endorsement for them to do anything in their eyes. They need to fully understand we think they are worthless. I personally know that some of them do not know how despised they are by trainees.

Reactions: 7 users
The fact that they had to send out a survey in addition to the “commission” shows you that they had no intention of ending the PE until the NBME canned the CS.
Gimpel and Co. never prepared for this possibility this past year.

Love the double negatives at the end of the survey. These people disgust me

No ****, dude, but it's better to spend the 5 minutes doing it than not. Anyone with an account older than 1 week old on SDN surely isn't naive enough to think they will respond intelligently and rationally to the survey lol. It still needs to be said that we hate them and that there is no reason for a standardized PE at the school level either. An absence of response is an endorsement for them to do anything in their eyes. They need to fully understand we think they are worthless. I personally know that some of them do not know how despised they are by trainees.
I ripped them a new one in the comments. It brought me a lot of joy even though it probably won't matter in the end. I just want whoever reads it to know how we feel about them.

herd immunity is here in 6-12 months. Gimple will reinstate Comlex Ultra PE at 2.5K/pop to account for lost revenue and inflation.

Daddy Gimple has bills to pay and little mouths to feed at home.
There are some wild predictions on here but C'mon.

Aren't they supposed to say what C/O 21 is going to do by March 11?

I hope they say something concrete and the schools had a heads up and it's just set up and we finish it. I'm so tired of wondering what will happen next.

Reactions: 4 users

I hope they say something concrete and the schools had a heads up and it's just set up and we finish it. I'm so tired of wondering what will happen next.
Trial by combat.

Game of thrones style...

Reactions: 2 users

I hope they know that almost all of us that have taken step 1/2 and arent in a state with funky requirements aren't going to take level 3. There just isn't a feasible reason why the NBOME exists after the next 5 or so years. Revenue is about to tank

I hope they know that almost all of us that have taken step 1/2 and arent in a state with funky requirements aren't going to take level 3. There just isn't a feasible reason why the NBOME exists after the next 5 or so years. Revenue is about to tank
I agree but when it goes into the hands of the school it will probably affect graduation again. Surely most schools will rubber stamp it and those that match in a weird state can just move on like the rest of us.

My clinical skills department at my school is strong and seriously the only true student advocate here. I am really curious about what they feel like they have to do.

I wonder what the "real" update will be this week. We're supposedly finding out the new PE pathway for CO 2020/21