Addressing PE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
All current M4s I know are stressed about match week, many of us mentally preparing to SOAP. The only news the nbome should be announcing this week is that the requirement is waived for our class.

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Everyone prepare the torches and pitchforks just in case lol.

Reactions: 3 users
Everyone prepare the torches and pitchforks just in case lol.
This was a joke in 2019 but an actual suggestion in 2021

1615394416351.png

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I do like how it's right before match week. Nothing ever makes sense in DO world. It's a rule.

Reactions: 5 users
Our school messaged us - they are going to make us do a virtual “PE.” Less than 2 hours total. We have to write 1 soap note. We will get training before we do it. If we fail, we do it again and again till we pass, though the school “expects us all to pass easily and without stress on the first try” and the “training sessions” that they will hold before the virtual “PE” will be highly beneficial

• Wow
Our school messaged us - they are going to make us do a virtual “PE.” Less than 2 hours total. We have to write 1 soap note. We will get training before we do it. If we fail, we do it again and again till we pass, though the school “expects us all to pass easily and without stress on the first try” and the “training sessions” that they will hold before the virtual “PE” will be highly beneficial
Get the pitch forks ready. Just on principle that is absolutely ridiculous.

Reactions: 11 users
angry ron swanson GIF

Reactions: 8 users

Like your school is doing this? Or the NBOME.... because our school says they have heard boo from the NBOME regarding the announcement tomorrow

Reactions: 1 user
The giant pre-PE exam my school did to prep for the real PE better count for my class. Here’s to hoping tomorrow’s announcement doesn’t make us do anything else.

if any of you guys end up high up in academic medicine or on the NBOME/NBME board please don’t forget to bring your common sense.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
this has to be an freaking joke. If this is true really NBOME is delusional, and probably charging 1k for such POS test too.... these guys
are unbelievable

this has to be an freaking joke. If this is true really NBOME is delusional, and probably charging 1k for such POS test too.... these guys
are unbelievable

I want to clarify that this is from the school, I don't know if this is what the NBOME is talking about or if they will have something different.

• Hmm
Reactions: 2 users
My school thinks so highly of their PE prep that they encourage all students to take it right away during 3rd year (I forgot to schedule and couldn't lol). I really hope they realize they should just pass us since they think/know the results of their preparation. Doing otherwise kind of goes against their advice to take it immediately and saying we are ready.

Our school is doing something similar for M3s. We normally have an in-person OSCE type thing to be approved to take the PE; they made it a virtual telehealth thing this year. 2 patients, 2 notes. Separate OMM project to check the box for that since we can't do it virtually. I have an inkling suspicion they suspect NBOME might come out with something like this and either want to prepare us or want to see if they can just use it to count as our PE. This doesn't include fourth years, though, who I believe did their PE checkoff before everything went crazy.

If they try to get every fourth year in the country to sign up for some 'virtual' PE in under 2 months it just won't happen. We all are so mentally checked out and anxious about match too. I think they use our OSCE checkoffs we all had to do through our schools for this year, then maybe institute something next year for the rest of the students. Won't put anything past Gimpel et al though. If they're smart they'll just call our class a wash, because trying to shove something in last second will be even more of a death knell than is already there, because then it's painfully obvious its purely about profits (even more than it already was)

So we’re good right? Proud pathway 2 participant here. On to level 3?

Reactions: 9 users
I find it a bit odd that they chose to word it as eligibility for level 3 as opposed to eligibility for licensure. No mention of whether a full license will be able to be obtained without the PE.

Edit: found something buried in the FAQ-- "We will annotate COMLEX-USA transcripts to note that the COMLEX-USA Level 2-PE was suspended on March 7, 2020 due to the pandemic, that temporary alternate pathways were provided, and that eligible candidates who complete the COMLEX-USA series of examinations via any of these pathways will be considered to have successfully completed the NBOME COMLEX-USA licensing examination program."

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
Our school is one of the militant OMM schools. They better certify us for what we had to go through lol

WTF, why is there no mention for the class of 2022???? Are they going to try and bring it back next year????
Wouldn't be surprised if they pulled a stunt like that.

This is good, puts the ball in the Dean's court. Thankfully, I think most schools won't want to deal with yet another evaluation 2 months before graduation, if they haven't already.

Okay, so this makes sense with the e-mail our Dean gave us yesterday. They are certifying us with the 2 hour exam. I’m fine with that, since we didn’t have a “pre-PE OSCE” check off before 3rd year. I will happily take it!

Did my schools version of PE prep. It was kinda a pain because they added a bunch of extra parameters and tbh I barely studied for it.

just happy to have my money back

Reactions: 4 users
Our update isn't due until April 30th.
Hopefully they do the same for 2022, NBOME sent out a survey a month or so ago where they were asking what was acceptable for PE replacement. I indicated that I thought SP evaluation was nonsense and that students should be evaluated by schools and preceptors. I am fairly certain most others did as well who got it. So gl guys.

• Love
Hopefully they do the same for 2022, NBOME sent out a survey a month or so ago where they were asking what was acceptable for PE replacement. I indicated that I thought SP evaluation was nonsense and that students should be evaluated by schools and preceptors. I am fairly certain most others did as well who got it. So gl guys.
If they get rid of PE for good, think of the people that failed out of medical school in the past due to failing this stupid test. Some lawsuit might be in the horizon.

If they get rid of PE for good, think of the people that failed out of medical school in the past due to failing this stupid test. Some lawsuit might be in the horizon.
How many people failed out of medical school because of that? Not trying to be rude at all, I imagine it's > then 1 but wouldn't imagine it being a large number.

How many people failed out of medical school because of that? Not trying to be rude at all, I imagine it's > then 1 but wouldn't imagine it being a large number.
Well, if I go with last year's numbers alone, 12.5% of 599 retakers didn't pass it. That's ~75 students for one year that probably failed out because many schools won't allow more than 2 tries on any board exam.

"Performance Data — NBOME" Performance Data — NBOME

Last edited:
I find it a bit odd that they chose to word it as eligibility for level 3 as opposed to eligibility for licensure. No mention of whether a full license will be able to be obtained without the PE.

Edit: found something buried in the FAQ-- "We will annotate COMLEX-USA transcripts to note that the COMLEX-USA Level 2-PE was suspended on March 7, 2020 due to the pandemic, that temporary alternate pathways were provided, and that eligible candidates who complete the COMLEX-USA series of examinations via any of these pathways will be considered to have successfully completed the NBOME COMLEX-USA licensing examination program."
Don't care. I absolutely do not trust them to not majorly screw over the class of '22 in some way with Level 3. I am not applying to any programs in the 5 or 6 weird states that require the full COMLEX series. I am taking Step 3 no matter what.

Well, if I go with last year's numbers alone, 12.5% of 599 retakers didn't pass it. That's ~75 students for one year that probably failed out because many schools won't allow more than 2 tries on any board exam.

"Performance Data — NBOME" Performance Data — NBOME
the USMLE cancelled their version clinical skills exam, and we will see how many people will file lawsuits from the MD side.

Also, it is stupid not to make a positive change because of the past or people who might sue against the organization. By that logic, the government should have never implemented the seatbelt law since there might be family memebers of the ppl who died because no mandated seatbelt law in the old days might file lawsuits against them.

The comlex PE does not accurately assess, it is subjective, and costs so much burden. It needs to go

Reactions: 7 users
the USMLE cancelled their version clinical skills exam, and we will see how many people will file lawsuits from the MD side.

Also, it is stupid not to make a positive change because of the past or people who might sue against the organization. By that logic, the government should have never implemented the seatbelt law since there might be family memebers of the ppl who died because no mandated seatbelt law in the old days might file lawsuits against them.

The comlex PE does not accurately assess, it is subjective, and costs so much burden. It needs to go
I wasn't implying that it was bad to cancel the exam because people might sue. They can sue the nbome all day every day for all I care. The nbome shouldn't even exist anymore at this point. I was just thinking of all the people that could have probably been doctors if this stupid test didn't exist.

Dunno you, but I'm 'bout to open a cold IPA and cheer for the inevitable demise of NBOME

I wouldn’t count on them keeling over just yet. You what they say about cockroaches and nuclear holocausts. Gotta remember to keep the outrage going next year for whatever garbage they cook up.

I wouldn’t count on them keeling over just yet. You what they say about cockroaches and nuclear holocausts. Gotta remember to keep the outrage going next year for whatever garbage they cook up.
I plan on staying active against them. But at the moment i'm spazzing out over match week. lol
Nervous Mental Health GIF by GIPHY Studios Originals

Agreed. I won’t be surprised a bit if they find a way to institute a virtual setup version of PE. And they’re still getting money from Level 1, 2ce, and 3.

2021 class is gonna be fine. The real battle is now 2022 classes and beyond. Again it all depends on NBME’s plans.

Match week is here fellas

How would you try to contact reps and osteopathic boards in the weird states that require full COMLEX? There are a LOT of programs in those states...

How would you try to contact reps and osteopathic boards in the weird states that require full COMLEX? There are a LOT of programs in those states...
Correct me if I'm wrong but my understanding is that they won't require the PE for licensure for class of 2021. Who know's what will happen for class of 2020 but hopefully people push to eliminate the PE for good