General Admissions & OTCAS Admissions and "minority" discussion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MidlandOT

Reaction score
Hey prospective and current OTs/OT students! I am brand new to SDN, but long time lurker, and I am so glad I found this forum! Everyone is so supportive and helpful of one another. Anyway, I am currently applying for this cycle (2018-2019) and I just want to post my stats/experiences to see how my chances are in getting interviews/admissions to OT schools. I know there are many other things that play a role such as interview performance, personal statements, LORs, etc.

Just a quick background: I was a nursing student until my 3rd year of undergrad. I was absolutely miserable during my clinical fieldwork, so my grades dropped off a little bit. (4 Bs in that semester). I was introduced to OT by my family and I decided to shadow one in a subacute rehab center and I LOVED it! So for the past 2 years, I have been trying extremely hard to boost my application because I knew the competitive nature of the application process!

Undergrad major: Biology with Physical education minor
Undergrad GPA: 3.31
OTCAS/Cumulative GPA: I dont know to be honest. It should be a little higher than 3.31 but I dont know how OTCAS works lol! All my classes (22 credits) not taken at my undergrad school is a GPA of 3.45.
Last 60 GPA: 3.65
Prereq GPA: 3.44-3.63 depending on school
GRE: 151 V ; 149 Q ; 4.0 AW (I can retake this, but not really sure at this point. Really don't want to spend any more $ because I am applying to 12 schools)

My biggest worry is my C in Anatomy&Physiology II. I retook A&P I and got an A. I mean I could retake A&PII next spring.

Work experience:
-Worked as an auditor/phone receiver at a home health care office ~500 hours
-Fitness personal trainer since April 2018; taught a strength training class and worked with a teenager who had a stroke as an infant
-Fitness desk attendant
-Academic tutor at my Undergraduate college for insignificant time (like a month); I spent a lot of time tutoring a student with learning disabilities

Observation (OT):
~185 hours total
-Pediatric Autism Rehab Center - 20 hours
-Private Outpatient Pediatric Clinic - 68 hours
-Subacute Inpatient Cardiac/Orthopedic Rehabilitation Center - 2 settings: 97 hours total
-I could probably add another setting (SNF, Hand therapy, or Home health) if I really wanted to. My parents and all my family are in the medical field so I have a lot of connections. If anyone is around the suburbs of Chicago, I can probably hook you up with a setting. My family is very good friends with the Therapist Coordinator and he is in charge of a lot of places.

Extracurriculars:
-Volunteered at the two pediatric clinics helping maintain equipment and joining to conduct social group classes.
-Lectured twice on campus fair: Alcohol & College; Effects of Sugar on the Body

Applying to:
A.T. Still (OTD & MSOT), Creighton University, Chatham University, Gwynedd Mercy, University of St. Augustine (St. Aug campus), Adventist University of HS, Nova Southeastern (Ft. Lauderdale), Lewis University, North Central College, Midwestern (IL), and Brenau U

I am willing to move anywhere, so I applied to a lot of schools out of state (I'm from Illinois), but if an IL school accepts me, it will probably be a priority.

To be honest, not really feeling optimistic about Rush because my GRE did not even make the cutoff (302) and it has a reputation of being hard to get into.

LORs: I think this is my strong suit. I very carefully picked who I wanted to write me a LOR based on our relationships and length we've known each other for.
-My most recent OT shadowed: When I asked her, she replied with "I was actually just about to write you one before you even asked!". I helped her tons because she was/is pregnant and could not do a lot of things anymore. I formed great bonds with the kiddos and their parents as well!
-My supervisor at the Park District I work as a personal trainer at: He can talk & talk & talk & we have a great relationship.
-My professor for 4 classes I took my last year of undergrad (2017-2018). She knows how badly I want to be an OT and I did really well in her classes! I visited her this summer in her office and we talked for hours.

I have finished my personal statement and I wrote it as personal and genuine as possible in a way that also reflects my attitude. I've had two of my cousins who are phenomenal writers proofread it and correct some grammatical errors and structural faults.

Now for the unpopular topic: I have heard on many accounts that being a male (especially minority race) has a big advantage in applications due to wanting to diversify the field. Is there ANY truth to this? I have heard this from my most recent OT I shadowed (she FIRMLY believed this), my friends who are in PT and OT schools, and many people in this forum. I am an Asian male (Filipino&Spaniard), fluent in the Filipino languages. Obviously, I am NEVER going to rely on what I was born as for applications. I never want to be known for getting in a competitive field just for being a man. I have tried so hard to strengthen my application with things that I can control. But what are your thoughts on this topic?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Competition is making yourself stand out. Asian male is more rare in the occupational therapy field so the advantage is that you will be more memorable in a room full of Caucasian females applicants. This applies to every good thing and every red flag. The Filipino and Spaniard background would matter if that impacts who you are and what you want to do with occupational therapy.

I am a Chinese American occupational therapist and am fortunate to use my Chinese language skills to a small degree. I also work with high population of Spanish speaking families so it is my desire to build up competency in that area. I do think my ethnic background helped me stand out during application for OT school but I highly doubt I was accepted if they didn't think I was good enough (understanding of OT, professionalism, evidence for academic success).

To generalize it beyond being a minority- be memorable! They want to know you and your story. Don't be generic, dress for interviews to make yourself stand out, and put yourself out there (This is hard for people that are introverted, less social). Schools don't take their time to get to know you so first impression is strong. I remember when I assisted in the interview process my first year in OT school, our program director commented that every guy was wearing the similar shade of colors. Guy or girl, even something like clothes can help you be more memorable. Whether they remember you in a good light, bad light, or don't remember you at all depends on your delivery.

Competition is making yourself stand out. Asian male is more rare in the occupational therapy field so the advantage is that you will be more memorable in a room full of Caucasian females applicants. This applies to every good thing and every red flag. The Filipino and Spaniard background would matter if that impacts who you are and what you want to do with occupational therapy.

I am a Chinese American occupational therapist and am fortunate to use my Chinese language skills to a small degree. I also work with high population of Spanish speaking families so it is my desire to build up competency in that area. I do think my ethnic background helped me stand out during application for OT school but I highly doubt I was accepted if they didn't think I was good enough (understanding of OT, professionalism, evidence for academic success).

To generalize it beyond being a minority- be memorable! They want to know you and your story. Don't be generic, dress for interviews to make yourself stand out, and put yourself out there (This is hard for people that are introverted, less social). Schools don't take their time to get to know you so first impression is strong. I remember when I assisted in the interview process my first year in OT school, our program director commented that every guy was wearing the similar shade of colors. Guy or girl, even something like clothes can help you be more memorable. Whether they remember you in a good light, bad light, or don't remember you at all depends on your delivery.

Thank you for your response! I do know that being able to communicate my experiences and answering the interview questions are very important. Congrats on your journey!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your response! I do know that being able to communicate my experiences and answering the interview questions are very important. Congrats on your journey!
With a lower GPA, you will probably want to retake the C class... I think the GRE is fine to be honest.

And I know you think your letters of recommendations are strong, but I see them as average. I would replace the work supervisor with someone stronger.. like a member of the administration of your school. Or from an organization you volunteered with, where you really made a difference. I feel like job supervisors already give you reviews on performance, so it’s not atypical for them to write good things about you.

With a lower GPA, you will probably want to retake the C class... I think the GRE is fine to be honest.

And I know you think your letters of recommendations are strong, but I see them as average. I would replace the work supervisor with someone stronger.. like a member of the administration of your school. Or from an organization you volunteered with, where you really made a difference. I feel like job supervisors already give you reviews on performance, so it’s not atypical for them to write good things about you.

Thank you for your input! I have taken on many projects and clients that my supervisor has placed upon me. I also worked with him before he was promoted. So I really felt like he was a good candidate to write me a LOR.

Hey prospective and current OTs/OT students! I am brand new to SDN, but long time lurker, and I am so glad I found this forum! Everyone is so supportive and helpful of one another. Anyway, I am currently applying for this cycle (2018-2019) and I just want to post my stats/experiences to see how my chances are in getting interviews/admissions to OT schools. I know there are many other things that play a role such as interview performance, personal statements, LORs, etc.

Just a quick background: I was a nursing student until my 3rd year of undergrad. I was absolutely miserable during my clinical fieldwork, so my grades dropped off a little bit. (4 Bs in that semester). I was introduced to OT by my family and I decided to shadow one in a subacute rehab center and I LOVED it! So for the past 2 years, I have been trying extremely hard to boost my application because I knew the competitive nature of the application process!

OTCAS/Cumulative GPA: I dont know to be honest. It should be a little higher than 3.31 but I dont know how OTCAS works lol! All my classes (22 credits) not taken at my undergrad school is a GPA of 3.45.
Last 60 GPA: 3.55-3.6ish
GRE: 151 V ; 149 Q ; 4.0 AW (I can retake this, but not really sure at this point. Really don't want to spend any more $ because I am applying to 12 schools)

My biggest worry is my C in Anatomy&Physiology II. I retook A&P I and got an A. I mean I could retake A&PII next spring.

Work experience:
-Fitness personal trainer since April 2018; taught a strength training class and worked with a teenager who had a stroke as an infant
-Fitness desk attendant
-Academic tutor at my Undergraduate college for insignificant time (like a month); I spent a lot of time tutoring a student with learning disabilities

Observation (OT):
~185 hours total
-Subacute Inpatient Cardiac/Orthopedic Rehabilitation Center - 2 settings: 97 hours total
-I could probably add another setting (SNF, Hand therapy, or Home health) if I really wanted to. My parents and all my family are in the medical field so I have a lot of connections. If anyone is around the suburbs of Chicago, I can probably hook you up with a setting. My family is very good friends with the Therapist Coordinator and he is in charge of a lot of places.

Extracurriculars:
-Volunteered at the two pediatric clinics helping maintain equipment and joining to conduct social group classes.

Applying to:
A.T. Still (OTD & MSOT), Creighton University, Chatham University, Gwynedd Mercy, University of St. Augustine (St. Aug campus), Adventist University of HS, Nova Southeastern (Ft. Lauderdale), Lewis University, North Central College, Midwestern (IL), and Rush University

I am willing to move anywhere, so I applied to a lot of schools out of state (I'm from Illinois), but if an IL school accepts me, it will probably be a priority.

To be honest, not really feeling optimistic about Rush because my GRE did not even make the cutoff (302) and it has a reputation of being hard to get into.

LORs: I think this is my strong suit. I very carefully picked who I wanted to write me a LOR based on our relationships and length we've known each other for.
-My most recent OT shadowed: When I asked her, she replied with "I was actually just about to write you one before you even asked!". I helped her tons because she was/is pregnant and could not do a lot of things anymore. I formed great bonds with the kiddos and their parents as well!
-My supervisor at the Park District I work as a personal trainer at: He can talk & talk & talk & we have a great relationship.
-My professor for 4 classes I took my last year of undergrad (2017-2018). She knows how badly I want to be an OT and I did really well in her classes! I visited her this summer in her office and we talked for hours.

I have finished my personal statement and I wrote it as personal and genuine as possible in a way that also reflects my attitude. I've had two of my cousins who are phenomenal writers proofread it and correct some grammatical errors and structural faults.

Now for the unpopular topic: I have heard on many accounts that being a male (especially minority race) has a big advantage in applications due to wanting to diversify the field. Is there ANY truth to this? I have heard this from my most recent OT I shadowed (she FIRMLY believed this), my friends who are in PT and OT schools, and many people in this forum. I am an Asian male (Filipino&Spaniard), fluent in the Filipino languages. Obviously, I am NEVER going to rely on what I was born as for applications. I never want to be known for getting in a competitive field just for being a man. I have tried so hard to strengthen my application with things that I can control. But what are your thoughts on this topic?

Work experience:
-Fitness desk attendant

Observation (OT):
~185 hours total

Extracurriculars:

Applying to:
A.T. Still (OTD & MSOT), Creighton University, Chatham University, Gwynedd Mercy, University of St. Augustine (St. Aug campus), Adventist University of HS, Nova Southeastern (Ft. Lauderdale), Lewis University, North Central College, Midwestern (IL), and Rush University

Work experience:
-Fitness desk attendant

Observation (OT):
~185 hours total

Extracurriculars:

Applying to:

Hi!!!

I’m an Asian female (Filipino)! Getting into the OT program is very competitive. But I think you have great experiences, strong LOR, and unique background.

I currently started my application and it’s stressing me over. My GRE is low :/ but I’m still applying. I was just wondering why you didn’t try to apply at Governor State, midwestern, Elmhurst and UIC? Also Chicago State?

Hi!!!

I’m an Asian female (Filipino)! Getting into the OT program is very competitive. But I think you have great experiences, strong LOR, and unique background.

I currently started my application and it’s stressing me over. My GRE is low :/ but I’m still applying. I was just wondering why you didn’t try to apply at Governor State, midwestern, Elmhurst and UIC? Also Chicago State?

Hey! Thanks for the input. It can really be stressful! It has come to the point where I am almost obsessed with this entire process!

Do you mind sharing your GRE score? I also really recommend Magoosh. I didn't study enough, in my opinion, but my verbal is still decent. If I retook the GRE, I really think I would increase at least by 5-10 points. I also bought the official ETS book.

As for those schools... for several reasons I didn't apply to them. Actually I applied to Midwestern IL. I didn't apply to Governor's because they really recommend not to have any outstanding classes by the time of application and I didn't take physics. My C in A&P II prevented me from applying to Elmhurst. They want at least a B. Chicago State is a sinking ship. Their graduation rates are so low, so I don't feel comfortable applying there. They are also non-OTCAS and I have heard that it is a pain in the neck to just even send them everything you need.

Hope everything works out for you! Good luck!

Hey! Thanks for the input. It can really be stressful! It has come to the point where I am almost obsessed with this entire process!

Do you mind sharing your GRE score? I also really recommend Magoosh. I didn't study enough, in my opinion, but my verbal is still decent. If I retook the GRE, I really think I would increase at least by 5-10 points. I also bought the official ETS book.

As for those schools... for several reasons I didn't apply to them. Actually I applied to Midwestern IL. I didn't apply to Governor's because they really recommend not to have any outstanding classes by the time of application and I didn't take physics. My C in A&P II prevented me from applying to Elmhurst. They want at least a B. Chicago State is a sinking ship. Their graduation rates are so low, so I don't feel comfortable applying there. They are also non-OTCAS and I have heard that it is a pain in the neck to just even send them everything you need.

Hope everything works out for you! Good luck!

Heeey!
My AW was 3.5 and most schools required 4 and above I’m thinking of retaking my GRE. I’m not really good at standardized test.

I’m just hoping to get into the program. Well, goodluck to you too and thank you for sharing your stats!

Work experience:
-Fitness desk attendant

Observation (OT):
~185 hours total

Extracurriculars:

Applying to:

Hi!

Just wondering if you heard anything back from the schools that you've applied to?

Hi!

Just wondering if you heard anything back from the schools that you've applied to?

Hi! I’ve heard only from Creighton so far. They invited me to an interview on 11/9. My application got verified only last week.

How about you?

You are competitive for USA-St. Aug campus. The minimum recommended GRE is 294. GRE was a big thing when I applied. Only issue I see is the AP II grade. If you retake and get a B+/A you should be good.

Edit:I do not think being a male is a plus in admissions. I think filipinos are a ORM.

Last edited:
You are competitive for USA-St. Aug campus. The minimum recommended GRE is 294. GRE was a big thing when I applied. Only issue I see is the AP II grade. If you retake and get a B+/A you should be good.

Edit:I do not think being a male is a plus in admissions. I think filipinos are a ORM.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. The minority idea (especially being male) just came to me when I’ve heard it from too many people (my OT student friend, PTs, OT I shadowed). I’ve kind of figured not to worry about that and focus on things I can control.

My APII grade is definitely my biggest worry. It disallowed me to apply to many schools that require B- on prerequisites.

As far as USA-SA, I spoke with one of their advisers (I think it’s required) and she mentioned that my app is competitive. I figured they probably say this to most, if not everyone. I made the mistake of not asking what makes an app competitive.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. The minority idea (especially being male) just came to me when I’ve heard it from too many people (my OT student friend, PTs, OT I shadowed). I’ve kind of figured not to worry about that and focus on things I can control.

My APII grade is definitely my biggest worry. It disallowed me to apply to many schools that require B- on prerequisites.

As far as USA-SA, I spoke with one of their advisers (I think it’s required) and she mentioned that my app is competitive. I figured they probably say this to most, if not everyone. I made the mistake of not asking what makes an app competitive.
You have a higher chance of becoming a tpm and promotions as a dude. It is possible you might be the only guy in your class. I would consider USA as a backup school the 2nd year you don't get into your state schools.

You have a higher chance of becoming a tpm and promotions as a dude. It is possible you might be the only guy in your class. I would consider USA as a backup school the 2nd year you don't get into your state schools.

I’m willing to go move anywhere. That won’t be a problem. In fact, I would consider it over Midwestern due to the fact Midwestern is extremely overpriced.

I don’t really understand what you are getting at with this
Imo you wont have any advantages in ot admissions. There are advantages when you become an OT as a male. I described it above.

Imo you wont have any advantages in ot admissions. There are advantages when you become an OT as a male. I described it above.

Oh, I already understood that. Guess I just didn’t know what tpm meant.

Hi! I’ve heard only from Creighton so far. They invited me to an interview on 11/9. My application got verified only last week.

How about you?

I heard back from Midwestern! Is it okay if I get your number? i just have few questions and I barely look at this sdn forum! thank you

I heard back from Midwestern! Is it okay if I get your number? i just have few questions and I barely look at this sdn forum! thank you
I think you have to unrestrict your profile first. Im unable to send a message.