Admissions Stigma on Failing a Class

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedicalPitcher

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hopefully this can relate to people who had to fail before succeeding. I failed and retook College Algebra my freshman year at a private school in which I was a miserable student athlete. I understand the MD application does not replace grades, but the DO application does. I have raised my GPA from a 2.33 (fr. yr.) to 3.61 (sen. yr.) without grade replacement. With grade replacement I raised it from 2.83 to 3.71. I have a 3.94 cGPA and 3.95 sGPA in my last 3 years (the upper level pre med classes). I have EC's such as D1 baseball, scribing, medical assistant, tutoring, and volunteer head-coaching baseball. I will begin clinical research in Microbiology in January 2018. I didn't realize being a physician was my calling until about 3 months ago and will take the MCAT in the 2018 Spring.

To what degree will failing College Algebra 5 years ago affect my application profile?

Shot in the dark: what context of schools should be in my scope?

I apologize for the narcissistic post and thank you for helping an anxious hopeful.

Members don't see this ad.

The DO application no longer includes grade replacement.
3.61 is a decent gpa and many fine schools will consider candidates with that gpa and a positive trend.
When you are ready to apply, consider a post in WAMC and we'll be happy to help edit your list of schools!

Reactions: 3 users
DO doesn't do grade replacement, but seeing that you did repeat that class and do well (?) in it won't hurt. Having a 3.61 without replacement and 3.94/3.95 over the past 3 years is awesome. MCAT above 510 and I predict you will have a successful cycle.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hopefully this can relate to people who had to fail before succeeding. I failed and retook College Algebra my freshman year at a private school in which I was a miserable student athlete. I understand the MD application does not replace grades, but the DO application does. I have raised my GPA from a 2.33 (fr. yr.) to 3.61 (sen. yr.) without grade replacement. With grade replacement I raised it from 2.83 to 3.71. I have a 3.94 cGPA and 3.95 sGPA in my last 3 years (the upper level pre med classes). I have EC's such as D1 baseball, scribing, medical assistant, tutoring, and volunteer head-coaching baseball. I will begin clinical research in Microbiology in January 2018. I didn't realize being a physician was my calling until about 3 months ago and will take the MCAT in the 2018 Spring.

To what degree will failing College Algebra 5 years ago affect my application profile?

I apologize for the narcissistic post and thank you for helping an anxious hopeful.
Nobody will be able to give you a solid answer. Every admissions committee handles things differently. After you take your MCAT and have a score, as the wise @gyngyn said, go to the "What Are My Chances" forum and ask.

Long story short, I can't imagine failing the class will help you. But, good news is that you failed it as a freshman. Freshman are stupid and adcoms know this. They know it was likely an accident or you weren't doing the right studying methods just yet. Later on, you've proven you are with a higher GPA. It won't hurt you terribly, but I can promise it will be a talking point if you make it to the interview phase.

Finally, you can eradicate the bulk of this problem with a stellar MCAT score. Aim for a 514+ with no section score less than 128 and you'll be in great standing coupled with your ECs and GPA. D1 baseball is a huge EC and athletes tend to get a little more forgiveness in this admissions game/process. You also have phenomenal other clinically related ECs. The few ECs I'd suggest you add are:

1. Clinical volunteering
2. Shadowing 2 physicians

Those two are simply "needed" if you're applying. You're non-clinical coaching volunteering is epic, but just get some clinical volunteering. Finally, shadowing is just a checkbox you need to have...checked off lol. Good luck. DM me if you have further questions.

A single F isn't lethal. You massive rising GPA trend is remarkable and there are tons of MD (and all DO) schools that reward such reinvention.

As someone said above, that F will probably produce different reactions at different schools, but you're going to be fine. I had three Fs and multiple Ds/Cs in my first two years of undergrad. All in core science courses. My cum GPA was absolutely abysmal by the time I was a junior. Was on the verge of failing out of college. Turned things around and made a 4.0 until graduating(had to take the victory lap) including retakes of all those Fs. Got a competitive mcat score for my state MD schools which are on the lower end of US MD schools in terms of stats. Got interviews at both state schools with one telling me my numbers were fine and the other telling me I needed to do a grad program to essentially replace my ugrad GPA. Ultimately had to go with the latter and retake an expired mcat score but I've finally wiped the slate clean as far as my state isntitutions are concerned. Just know there are schools that reward reinvention and one F really isn't that crazy. Sounds like you have a great app in the works! Would highly encourage you to get a one year masters and kill it. If you can do that and score well on the mcat, you will be in a great spot for many MD and DO schools.

Thank you everyone for the insightful advice and encouragement, it was definitely beneficial to me. One day I hope to be in your position offering advice to students in my position.

Thank you everyone for the insightful advice and encouragement, it was definitely beneficial to me. One day I hope to be in your position offering advice to students in my position.

You got it dude and you will definitely be in that position in the near future. I should have also added that being a D1 athlete is huge. That's a hell of an EC and a serious commitment to balance with academics. I don't think you're going to get raked over the coals too heavily for that F. A great Mcat score would go a long way for you so really bust ass on it. Check out the LSU schools in Shreveport and Nola. I'm friends with a number of people with stories much like yours who had a lot of success with those schools.

You got it dude and you will definitely be in that position in the near future. I should have also added that being a D1 athlete is huge. That's a hell of an EC and a serious commitment to balance with academics. I don't think you're going to get raked over the coals too heavily for that F. A great Mcat score would go a long way for you so really bust ass on it. Check out the LSU schools in Shreveport and Nola. I'm friends with a number of people with stories much like yours who had a lot of success with those schools.
It was a great experience which taught me how to absolutely grind. I didn't sleep much those years! I'm preparing for the MCAT with extreme intent. I won't take it until around March or April 2018, but I've gathered insight from friends who have successfully taken it and am working through a podcast series on it. Thanks for the tip, I will check those out. Hopefully they are out of state friendly, I'm from Tennessee. Thank you.

It was a great experience which taught me how to absolutely grind. I didn't sleep much those years! I'm preparing for the MCAT with extreme intent. I won't take it until around March or April 2018, but I've gathered insight from friends who have successfully taken it and am working through a podcast series on it. Thanks for the tip, I will check those out. Hopefully they are out of state friendly, I'm from Tennessee. Thank you.

Yessir.

Last edited by a moderator:
I failed 9 classes my freshman year of college in 2010-2011 have a science GPA of 3.57 and an overall of 3.24. I got a 0.74gpa my freshman year. I am, however, an ER Nurse at a level 1 trauma center and I have 3 MD interviews so far. Don't focus on your failure, strive to illustrate how it has changed you for the better.

Reactions: 1 users
A bad grade early on in your college education is not lethal. Especially if you have an overall upward GPA trend. You will be fine, just focus on your MCAT