Adrift in vacillation: LLU or Michigan?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kokugeka Shiro

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, well I'll preface this with an apology for spawning yet another "vs." thread in this forum, and preemptively thanking you all for your input.

My dilemma is this: I have yet to hear from my #1 school, UW, at which I interviewed in November. I remember them telling me they were generally slow in the acceptance process, so I've reserved a reasonably optimistic view of my chances there in the coming months.

Besides not hearing from them, I was accepted everywhere else I interviewed at on December 1st. This has turned out to be a bittersweet connundrum: now, like many others, I am two weeks away from potentially throwing away $1-1.5k on a deposit that I'll later back out of.

That said (and thank you if you're still reading), I've narrowed my deposit candidates to two: LLU and Michigan. I thought both schools were competent and had fairly comparable facilities. Michigan seems more research/specialization oriented than LLU's more clinical-emphasis approach, and I don't have any serious plans to pursue a specialty. Ann Arbor is a nice town but cold and snowy much of the year, and the Inland Empire is sunny and warm but alas gridlocked both figuratively and literally in suburban dolldrums (from what I remember of living there 10 years ago). I'm not SDA or particularly religious, but I don't so much mind zealots or compulsory chapel so long as I can bring my homework.

LLU's deposit: $1000
Michigan's: $1500

I'm going on a trip for a couple months to Japan and then from Vladivostok-Berlin on the Transsiberian railroad in March, and could use that extra $500 dollars. And with the possibility of getting into UW in the back of my mind, I'm really temped to just pick the cheaper of the two deposits.

I would greatly appreciate any input on comparisons between the two schools, my likelihood of still hearing from UW, my overvaluation of $500 dollars/quality of a school's weather, or any such factors.

Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Is there a competition going on for who can come up with the most dramatic thread title? Just noticing the trend lately.

Since it goes to tuition... you are going to have to pay it eventually....
pickt he one you'd want to go to.. .dont based it off the deposit...cuz if you don't get into UW... and you make the wrong choice... you wont be as pissed about the 500

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there a competition going on for who can come up with the most dramatic thread title? Just noticing the trend lately.

Maybe. But not only did you click the link, you also posted a comment, so maybe the method is effective? :rolleyes:

Love how you wrote this thread and the choice of words :thumbup::D

If all SDNers spoke like you... :rolleyes:

As far as your choice goes, I would suggest choosing the school you really want to go to and not just basing your decision on a mere $500. Perhaps UW will never offer you an acceptance, but with your stats I would think this would be the exception not the rule. However, it is impossible to determine so you better choose your school wisely. It may end up being your home for the next four years.

Oh, and might I also add Go Blue!? Who wouldn't want to watch football games in the Big House? Other than that though, I can't see any other reason I would voluntarily move to Ann Arbor.