Advanced science post bacc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rhmha33

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm a senior in college and I'm trying to find ways to increase my GPA. I'm a psychology major and I've decided to stay in college a fifth year to finish a second degree in biology in order to improve my GPA. However, I don't think that will be enough to bring it to a competitive level, so I want to do a post-bacc after I graduate. My question is, what are some programs that offer advanced science classes as a formal post bacc program? I tried searching on here and only found programs that require a high GPA or are graduate. My GPA will probably be 3.2-3.3 after graduation. I'm hoping to bring my GPA to at least 3.4-3.5 after the post bacc. Or would DYI post bacc of upper level bio classes be better? Maybe SMP? I'm not sure which would benefit me more, so please tell me your opinions.
Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

UPenn has a formal post-bacc where you take mostly advanced biology classes. There's nothing wrong with doing a DIY postbacc with advanced bio classes either. Go with the cheaper option.

UPenn has a formal post-bacc where you take mostly advanced biology classes. There's nothing wrong with doing a DIY postbacc with advanced bio classes either. Go with the cheaper option.

Thank you! Do you think improving ugrad GPA would be better, or an SMP since it would prove I can handle medical school?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you! Do you think improving ugrad GPA would be better, or an SMP since it would prove I can handle medical school?

I think if you can get your GPAs to a 3.4-5 with ug postbacc work and get a good MCAT you'll be fine for many medical schools. Maybe if you get shut out you can then consider an SMP? I only recommend this because SMPs can be very expensive and very risky as well if you don't do well.

Reactions: 1 user
State schools and DO schools favor reinvention and upward trends. So many classmates and people at another school in which I applied was in the 3.3 - 3.4 range with a large upward trend. I was the same exact way.

As I understand it, beyond 8 semesters of classes in undergrad will terminate some federal grants (Pell for example.) If you can pay to stay at your college to take these classes and get an A, especially if it's only bio courses, then I'd say you would be almost set, metrics-wise.

I think if you can get your GPAs to a 3.4-5 with ug postbacc work and get a good MCAT you'll be fine for many medical schools. Maybe if you get shut out you can then consider an SMP? I only recommend this because SMPs can be very expensive and very risky as well if you don't do well.

I'll definitely try to avoid doing an SMP. Thank you so much for your advice.

State schools and DO schools favor reinvention and upward trends. So many classmates and people at another school in which I applied was in the 3.3 - 3.4 range with a large upward trend. I was the same exact way.

As I understand it, beyond 8 semesters of classes in undergrad will terminate some federal grants (Pell for example.) If you can pay to stay at your college to take these classes and get an A, especially if it's only bio courses, then I'd say you would be almost set, metrics-wise.
I'll probably need to take out loans then. I think that'll still be cheaper than a formal post bacc/SMP. Also, do you think taking only advanced biology classes (plus calculus I) will be enough, or should I also take physics/chemistry?

Last edited:
I'll probably need to take out loans then. I think that'll still be cheaper than a formal post bacc/SMP. Also, do you think taking only advanced biology classes (plus calculus I) will be enough, or should I also take physics/chemistry?
I'd think the same thing about costs. It'd be cheaper to just get that 2nd degree to raise the sGPA and show the upward trend.

Will you be a full-time student for your 5th year? I'm a bit confused because it sounds like you'll only be taking 2-3 classes at a time, which would make you part-time

I'd think the same thing about costs. It'd be cheaper to just get that 2nd degree to raise the sGPA and show the upward trend.

Will you be a full-time student for your 5th year? I'm a bit confused because it sounds like you'll only be taking 2-3 classes at a time, which would make you part-time

Full-time for my 5th year, which will be graduation year, and hopefully for my 6th one as well, which will be the post-bacc year. Post-bacc classes affect undergrad GPA, correct? I was just reading my school's website, and it says post-bacc students' grades will not change undergrad GPA. Will this be different when calculating GPA for AMCAS/AACOMAS?

Full-time for my 5th year, which will be graduation year, and hopefully for my 6th one as well, which will be the post-bacc year. Post-bacc classes affect undergrad GPA, correct? I was just reading my school's website, and it says post-bacc students' grades will not change undergrad GPA. Will this be different when calculating GPA for AMCAS/AACOMAS?

AMCAS/AACOMAS will include all grades into their calculation.